• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Terror Annual 1
1 1

157 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Back in the earliest of my collecting days, I was able to buy ALL the EC annuals in one swoop. Again, I laugh at the price but it was a LOT of money for a teenager at the time. As I remember, the guy even thre in the whole run of Piracy because I liked them so much. 

I have seen a few come up for sale at the big auction houses over the years but never in the wild. I have seen WAY more Action #1’s than this one. People who have them tend to want to keep them. Maybe a lofty goal but it gives you something to shoot for. Good luck in your quest.

As a side note, a good friend of mine and a noted EC historian, had Feldstein recreated the cover painting for him. It is just awe inspiring! And yes, he also has a copy. One of the last few he needed to complete his EC collection. 

Not trying to date you, RM but when did you buy them? (besides I may be older than you, anyway :foryou:)  

Did you know at that time how tough a book it was?

1 minute ago, telerites said:

Not trying to date you, RM but when did you buy them? (besides I may be older than you, anyway :foryou:)  

Did you know at that time how tough a book it was?

Very early 1970's. I had no idea that any of them were tough or not. The guy was selling his EC's by title complete. He had the annuals grouped into the titles. Since I couldn't afford a complete run, I talked him into selling me just the annuals by themselves. I spent all the money I had and had to leave a Submariner #1 for $40 because I was broke.

28 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

While the contents of the annuals vary, I think for #1 annual to contain those books wasn't too unusual. That mix or close to it was pretty typical.

:whatthe: I'm quite surprised to learn that! 

4 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

:whatthe: I'm quite surprised to learn that! 

It really is, from what I've read. For example another annual #1 I think contained Vault 12, Crypt 17, TFTC 20 and Crime SS 1, that sort of thing. I do agree the mix in RM's copy has to be one of the best possible, and would love to know the contents of EC Ed's copy. :)

52 minutes ago, originalisbest said:
56 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Do you know the contents of yours Ed?

Anything in the grader's notes that identify the issues? (Would think there ought to be, anyway!)

No and no, unfortunately. I bought it slabbed, and CGC doesn't indicate the contents of annuals, as a matter of practice ( :p ...hopefully CGC will eventually start noting the contents, but I don't think it has happened yet)

For us to find out, I'll have to crack it out of there. Maybe one of these days.... hm

9 minutes ago, EC ed said:

No and no, unfortunately. I bought it slabbed, and CGC doesn't indicate the contents of annuals, as a matter of practice ( :p ...hopefully CGC will eventually start noting the contents, but I don't think it has happened yet)

For us to find out, I'll have to crack it out of there. Maybe one of these days.... hm

I'd have to know personally. It could contain anything and the contents would definately have a determination on value. Otherwise you have just a great copy and a great cover. If I were to ever slab mine I would insist they put it on the label. Makes a big difference. Mr Bedrock could help you if you are skittish...:baiting:

1 minute ago, *matterus023* said:

Thanks to all the responses and info. Plus great to see a couple of copies on here.....With each passing day I feel the magnitude of this mission will finally sink in lol

I am in no rush though and I'm a glass half full kind of gal ha

If it’s any consolation this book is my Offwhite Whale...its the second-toughest book I’m after. Double Action Comics 2 is my Moby!

As you lot seem a knowledgeable bunch......How do you place the annual 2 compared? 

Now I know they are worlds apart in rarity but is it one you would pick up if you saw it at a decent price? Can they be tough to get or not really as long as you are patient

I know I basically just asked how long a piece of string is but sometimes people know 

Just now, IngelsFan said:

If it’s any consolation this book is my Offwhite Whale...its the second-toughest book I’m after. Double Action Comics 2 is my Moby!

It is of NO consolation as all I'm hearing is that I have more and more competition...from people with better contacts haha

I'm sure I saw that DAC 2 for sale recently somewhere....but frmo what you are saying perhaps just some random pic

1 minute ago, *matterus023* said:

As you lot seem a knowledgeable bunch......How do you place the annual 2 compared? 

Now I know they are worlds apart in rarity but is it one you would pick up if you saw it at a decent price? Can they be tough to get or not really as long as you are patient

I know I basically just asked how long a piece of string is but sometimes people know 

#2 is scarce but gettable. It’s one of my favorite EC covers, and one of the few that features all 3 Ghoulunatics. 

1 hour ago, EC ed said:

All in good time! ;) It truly is a pretty copy -- perfect fit for your great EC sets!

6 minutes ago, october said:

#2 is not easy, but not nearly as tough as #1. I've owned 2-3 copies of the second, zero of the first. 

A copy of #1 turned up recently at that estate auction someone took a video of. It featured several tough pre-codes, and the prices were pretty damn low, even for the time. It's a super depressing video to watch though (because I was not there) so I didn't keep a link. 

Oh yeah, I know the auction vid you mean Andy, and it is a gut-wrencher. Not SO much for me, as I wouldn't have had the scratch to buy the stuff anyway -- but to find out about it after the fact -- OUCH! And agreed, while #2 horror annual is way tougher than #3, it's not as tough as any #1 copy. :)

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very early 1970's. I had no idea that any of them were tough or not. The guy was selling his EC's by title complete. He had the annuals grouped into the titles. Since I couldn't afford a complete run, I talked him into selling me just the annuals by themselves. I spent all the money I had and had to leave a Submariner #1 for $40 because I was broke.

That is a neat story, RM.  Thanks for sharing.  

And I have to ask - 1941 Sub-Mariner or the 1968 for $40?