• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Terror Annual 1
1 1

157 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, october said:

#2 is not easy, but not nearly as tough as #1. I've owned 2-3 copies of the second, zero of the first. 

A copy of #1 turned up recently at that estate auction someone took a video of. It featured several tough pre-codes, and the prices were pretty damn low, even for the time. It's a super depressing video to watch though (because I was not there) so I didn't keep a link. 

I saw that. My eyes just popped out of my head when that woman just plopped it on that plywood table. And yeah it appeared to go cheap with a lot of other PCH.

56 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

I own almost a full run of EC's from Pre-Trend, New-Trend and to New Direction books but the first Annual is one I honestly don't see myself owning but I did pick up another

rare one last year. So I feel a little better.

shock illustrated3.jpg

When I had my full run of ECs that was one of the last few I needed. Tough indeed. The Romance and Humor titles can be next to impossible to find as well. 

To the OP, FWIW, I've been buying and selling ECs for a couple dozen years off and on.  Owned a lot of GFCs and other pedigreed books.  I've never even seen a Tales of Terror Annual 1 for sale.  I've had a few chances to get Shock 3 and several to get a mid to high grade Vault 12.  Sometime in the mid-90s, I was talking to an old school dealer in the midwest about it.  At that time, he'd been buying and selling comics since the mid-70s and had only had one chance to buy one.  It's one of those books that both older and newer experienced collectors know the scarcity and challenge in finding a copy.  In the end, enough money will bring a copy or two out but you're probably talking many multiples of what you think it should cost.

Also, you may not guess it, but Robot Man has been collecting comics since before I was born.  A very solid source for information.

16 minutes ago, telerites said:

That is a neat story, RM.  Thanks for sharing.  

And I have to ask - 1941 Sub-Mariner or the 1968 for $40?

1941. The 1968 was only a few years old and probably a couple of bucks. Actually I was the sorriest to have to leave the rest of the ECs. One of my buddies got the Subby as well as a few other nice Timelys. 

Sad story. Old guy in a bad part of town with a garage just packed with comics, pulps and other magazines. My buddies would hit him when we saved up some dough. Always great stuff we hadn’t seen before in previous trips. A lot of them were a buck a piece. I remember spending $100. (which was a LOT of money at 14 years old). Got 100 non EC PCH, Crime, and other non superhero books including a Teen age Dope Slaves and Fox GGA including a couple Phantom Ladies). Just bought what looked interesting. I guess I had “vision” even then. 

Here’s the sad part. One day I rode my bike over to his garage and it was locked up. Rang the doorbell with no answer. I climbed up and looked into the garage and it was empty. Never did find out what happened. Where he went or that amazing garage full of stuff. He was a real nice guy and I think he just loved the company. He would always throw in a few freebies because he knew we loved the stuff and didn’t have much money. 

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

1941. The 1968 was only a few years old and probably a couple of bucks. Actually I was the sorriest to have to leave the rest of the ECs. One of my buddies got the Subby as well as a few other nice Timelys. 

Sad story. Old guy in a bad part of town with a garage just packed with comics, pulps and other magazines. My buddies would hit him when we saved up some dough. Always great stuff we hadn’t seen before in previous trips. A lot of them were a buck a piece. I remember spending $100. (which was a LOT of money at 14 years old). Got 100 non EC PCH, Crime, and other non superhero books including a Teen age Dope Slaves and Fox GGA including a couple Phantom Ladies). Just bought what looked interesting. I guess I had “vision” even then. 

Here’s the sad part. One day I rode my bike over to his garage and it was locked up. Rang the doorbell with no answer. I climbed up and looked into the garage and it was empty. Never did find out what happened. Where he went or that amazing garage full of stuff. He was a real nice guy and I think he just loved the company. He would always throw in a few freebies because he knew we loved the stuff and didn’t have much money. 

I knew it was the Timely Subby but I do remember some ads I remember seeing from that time period were more proud of the SA Marvels than GA books.  It sounds like you have me by just few years.  

During the mid 70s when I was a teen, there a was bookstore called Lute's that had a wall with those shelves or really boxed shelves that went to the ceiling.  I had to stand on a ladder to get to the top.  Thousands of books of all types.  Sadly I had no clue nor interest at the for GA as there were many there.  Most of the books were $1 or less and just a grab bag of GA-BA.  Of course, I went after the BA books of those I was reading and although I considered myself a collector, I was collecting only Marvels and only those titles I was reading during the mid-70s.  After I bought my first SA Marvel, Avengers #19, I started exploring and buying older books (although my budget was very limited).

Thanks again for sharing, RM.  

Take care.

Seems like this is one of those comics that is not only scarce but brings out a lot of  great memories and great stories. 

Thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge and pics etc :headbang: I still think I will get a copy though. I'm 32 now so whether it be by my 40's or 90's.....I'd still be happy

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I knew it was the Timely Subby but I do remember some ads I remember seeing from that time period were more proud of the SA Marvels than GA books.  It sounds like you have me by just few years.  

During the mid 70s when I was a teen, there a was bookstore called Lute's that had a wall with those shelves or really boxed shelves that went to the ceiling.  I had to stand on a ladder to get to the top.  Thousands of books of all types.  Sadly I had no clue nor interest at the for GA as there were many there.  Most of the books were $1 or less and just a grab bag of GA-BA.  Of course, I went after the BA books of those I was reading and although I considered myself a collector, I was collecting only Marvels and only those titles I was reading during the mid-70s.  After I bought my first SA Marvel, Avengers #19, I started exploring and buying older books (although my budget was very limited).

Thanks again for sharing, RM.  

Take care.

Like you, I grew up with what was on the newstand. In my case, the beginning of the Marvel universe, Batman, Sgt Rock and Strange Advs. I also discovered MAD magazine about the same time and loved it. I decided I would try and get the whole set of back issues. I remember paying $3. for MAD #9. The minute I paid over cover price, I considered myself to be a "collector" not just a reader or fan. In my quest for MADs, I discovered ECs and other GA books. I began to seek them out all the while buying new comics. The seeds of GA collecting go way back for me. But, MAD #9 was the "gateway drug".

On the plus side there are 17 copies on the census and I know of 2 dealers who do the local comicons in VA that have one in their private collections so they are out there. I do see 2 and 3 with some regularity especially if you follow HA, CC and CL. I decided to chase tougher runs than EC so I have been selling those off lately, I know, glutton for punishment....

Nice consolation prize! Every bit as good as #1 just not as rare. All 3 are must haves if you collect ECs or PCH. It kind of bugs me that the contents are not noted on the label. I guess they feel they would have to figure it out and verify it. It matters to me. I have figured out the contents on all of mine. My Two Fisted Annual #1 has Two Fisted #18 (#1) inside. I believe that my TOT #1 is worth more than an average similar grade copy due to the presence of 3 early Horror first issues. Would be nice to have it noted on the label. But in this age, it seems the cover and grade mean far more to most people than the contents...

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice consolation prize! Every bit as good as #1 just not as rare. All 3 are must haves if you collect ECs or PCH. It kind of bugs me that the contents are not noted on the label. I guess they feel they would have to figure it out and verify it. It matters to me. I have figured out the contents on all of mine. My Two Fisted Annual #1 has Two Fisted #18 (#1) inside. I believe that my TOT #1 is worth more than an average similar grade copy due to the presence of 3 early Horror first issues. Would be nice to have it noted on the label. But in this age, it seems the cover and grade mean far more to most people than the contents...

Why is this btw?

Also I agree that many people buy for the cover over the contents.....I myself am one of these people tbh. I don;t read much in general but when I do it is golden age madness ha

I think for lots it is of course a nostalgic thing. I wasn;t brought up with comics...just the Beano really. However the more time that passes I am finding myself more interested in the content and the stories of the artists life etc etc

I'll get there eventuallydon;t worry lol 

1 minute ago, *matterus023* said:

Why is this btw?

Also I agree that many people buy for the cover over the contents.....I myself am one of these people tbh. I don;t read much in general but when I do it is golden age madness ha

I think for lots it is of course a nostalgic thing. I wasn;t brought up with comics...just the Beano really. However the more time that passes I am finding myself more interested in the content and the stories of the artists life etc etc

I'll get there eventuallydon;t worry lol 

As I said before. These annuals are comprised of random issues that did not sell on the newstands. Contents vary all over the place for the year they were published. My copy has Vault of Horror #12 (#1), Tales from the Crypt #20 (#1), Haunt of Fear #15 (#1) and Weird Science #13 (#2). A lucky occurance and worth more as far as I am concerned than if there were other non #1 issues inside.

READ your comics. Especially ECs. They are among the best comics ever produced art and story wise. If you don't you are really missing out...

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

As I said before. These annuals are comprised of random issues that did not sell on the newstands. Contents vary all over the place for the year they were published. My copy has Vault of Horror #12 (#1), Tales from the Crypt #20 (#1), Haunt of Fear #15 (#1) and Weird Science #13 (#2). A lucky occurance and worth more as far as I am concerned than if there were other non #1 issues inside.

READ your comics. Especially ECs. They are among the best comics ever produced art and story wise. If you don't you are really missing out...

Ok so I know I am being simple here so treat me as you would a child. 

So you say yours has x,y & z inside. Why does the inside vary for this particualr annual...and others from what you are saying. Is the answer just...it is what it is or was there a reason behind it?

Thanks