• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Terror Annual 1
1 1

157 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, EC ed said:

Aside from @Robot Man and me, I know (only) 4 other people who own a copy, and I know them by first and last name. This is one of those kinds of books. 

Here's my copy (you guessed it...NOT FOR SALE :grin: ):

talesofterrorannual1_f.jpg

I think that copy is almost as nice as mine Ed lol

28 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

That escalated quickly.

No kidding!

I saw the literal second it was posted.  0 bids.  1 min.  Had there been a (reasonable) BIN I coulda hit it.  Too bad lol 

Edit:  the seller has a lot of great books posted.

Edited by Erndog

On 3/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, Robot Man said:

Very tough indeed. Gary Arlington, one of the biggest EC collectors back in the early days hunted forever and never found one. Several other noted collectors have searched in vain for one. 

I have one. Sorry no picture available right now. You can see it on the first page of “Son of my 50 Year Junk Obsecession” thread on the first page in the GA section. I bought it from Gary Colomboto in the early days of eBay. At the time I thought I paid through the nose but just laugh now. 

When I read the description I knew I just had to have it. It is comprised of random horror issues that didn’t sell on the newsstand. Mine has the first issues of TFTC, HOF and VOH + the second WF. 

The highlight of my EC & PCH collection. Of all the thousands of books I have, it is in the top 3. I will never sell it.

Seller's remorse set in immediately when the auction closed, Bob.  I will never forget that book.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Not that I need any extra help in my decision, but that just sealed the deal. Considering it is made up of unsold copies, the odds are over whelming. Gary is still sorry he sold it for mere dead presidents but knows it has a good home! I am honored to be it’s keeper till the next Ghoulantic gets it!

I'm not crying, Bob, I've got something in my eye - that's all...

On 3/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, originalisbest said:

While the contents of the annuals vary, I think for #1 annual to contain those books wasn't too unusual. That mix or close to it was pretty typical.

I've had 3 copies of the annual.  One had no first issues.  The second had one.  Back in the 70s and 80s EC collectors would correspond and a hot topic was the contents of annuals.  NO ONE had a copy with 3 first issues and a # 2. Mine was the only copy.

12 hours ago, Moondog said:

Seller's remorse set in immediately when the auction closed, Bob.  I will never forget that book.

Funny thing was right after the auction closed, I got two emails from people wanting to buy it from me. Why they didn’t bid higher is beyond me. (shrug)

It was a time when money was real tight for me but I stood tall and went for it. Being a hard core EC collector I just had to have it. I knew the contents were unique and it was a true grail. 

I can’t imagine ever selling it. It has found it’s home as long as I am alive. If I need a kidney or something and I do sell it. You will get the first shot at it. (worship)

Back in 1984 or 85 at the Chicago Comicon I had the opportunity to buy Roy Krenkel's 1952 and 1953 annuals from a dealer from Michigan who was liquidating Roy's estate.  These were the only annuals I have ever seen that I believe were NM.  The spines were perfect.  Amazing/stunning/awe inspiring.  I bought them and kept them until 1999 or so.  I wish I knew where they were today and wonder if they've been graded.

Cool thread on ToT annuals.  It got me looking around out of curiosity and look what I found on the Bay!  The bid is at $3700 with 7 days to go.  Will be interesting to see where it ends.  Any guesses?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-Terror-Annual-1-RARE-Pre-Code-EC-Horror-Giant-Comic-1951-CGC-2-5/143265382711?hash=item215b484137:g:6pkAAOSwAWJc5z1U&frcectupt=true

Also very cool that the seller was the submitter or at least had pics of all 4 issues in the annual.

Edited by davet75