• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will we ever see another true key comic?
3 3

147 posts in this topic

Looking at the decline in comic sales, and the decline of print media in general, will we ever see a new true key comic? 

Modern comics for the most part are littered with speculation. Seeming based more on cover art than content. So many new characters have been pushed the last 10 years or so, and not many have cought on.  Yes we have a handful, like Harley, Deadpool, X-23, and a handful of others, but they are 15 years old or more at this point.  Yet collectors still focus on the same characters that have been around for 40 plus years.

So is there still the potential for the next Spider Man, Superman, or even Harley, or are those days gone?

When was the latest "super key" released? I'm talking first appearance of a major character. Spawn #1 in 1992? Are there other released later?

Creativity these days is spread thin. That's why CBMs are so popular. They draw from other source material. Most other movies are reboots.

I find it unlikely that a "grail" type key is printed anytime soon.

16 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

I think it a new character is interesting enough and well written that they will catch on - not easy to do with the seemingly cookie cutter assembly line of superheroes. 

I think this sums it up pretty well.  Additionally, a death of a major character would probably warrant key status.

It's possible that a book that has already been published is sitting out there, waiting for that big "pop" to key status. I think that Harley Quinn, Deadpool and Venom are usually held up as the only examples of characters created in the last 30 years or so that have had true enduring popularity. But maybe something is buried out there, waiting for the moment.

Will we ever see another true key comic?

Of course.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

Looking at the decline in comic sales, and the decline of print media in general, will we ever see a new true key comic? 

Modern comics for the most part are littered with speculation. Seeming based more on cover art than content. So many new characters have been pushed the last 10 years or so, and not many have cought on.  Yes we have a handful, like Harley, Deadpool, X-23, and a handful of others, but they are 15 years old or more at this point.  Yet collectors still focus on the same characters that have been around for 40 plus years.

So is there still the potential for the next Spider Man, Superman, or even Harley, or are those days gone?

Is "Will we ever see another major character with enduring popularity debut in a comic?" your real question?

That is very different, but still fairly likely.

I have to begrudgingly agree that Walking Dead is a true key for this time period.  

However, you are never going to see another Action 1 or Tec 27 because of the time period and how comics were perceived as disposable.

4 hours ago, thespiderman said:

I'd think the Walking Dead #1 is a true key comic.  It launched in incredibly successful tv show, and had a limited print run.   

But 16 years ago now since it came out.

In sports cards there is a key rookie card every year like Walking Dead.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

7 hours ago, drotto said:

Well we could say

Spider-Gwen

Silk

Miles Morales

I guess.