• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will we ever see another true key comic?
3 3

147 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Well we could say

Spider-Gwen

Silk

Miles Morales

I guess.

True story... 

I set an all time GPA high in the specific grade with the copy of ASM 31 I sold. 

I listed it as Amazing Spider-man 31, 1st Gwen Stacy 1st Spider-Gwen

Spider-Gwen will keep her price however what about the forthcoming Major X does anyone think he has staying power. Also I imagine that today's Modern comics are more readily available and should a character hit it off then there will be no end to the copies traded or sold never mind collected. Deadpool Wolverine and Harley Quinn and even Spider-Gwen and Punisher are a case in point, however the Marvel stamp helps the rarity of both Wolverine and the Punisher. 

26 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Spider-Gwen will keep her price however what about the forthcoming Major X does anyone think he has staying power. Also I imagine that today's Modern comics are more readily available and should a character hit it off then there will be no end to the copies traded or sold never mind collected. Deadpool Wolverine and Harley Quinn and even Spider-Gwen and Punisher are a case in point, however the Marvel stamp helps the rarity of both Wolverine and the Punisher. 

Liefeld isn't the reason for Deadpool's popularity, and I imagine that there will be plenty of people speculating on Major X. 

31 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Looks like Deadpool a little.

Related image

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

And the topic of this thread is, will their be a character as popular as deadpool and Harley quinn...

I didn't answer squirrel girl as they are not as popular yet...

As popular since deadpool and harley...

Plenty of characters that I did mention that have staying power though...

Deadpool and Harley I consider adultish...

Squirrel girl is when they go back to making comics for kids.... I remember those days...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As popular since deadpool and harley...

Plenty of characters that I did mention that have staying power though...

Deadpool and Harley I consider adultish...

Squirrel girl is when they go back to making comics for kids.... I remember those days...

I don't think a character has to be as popular as Deadpool or Harley to be a "true key." I'd just say the demand has to far outweigh supply

Just now, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't think a character has to be as popular as Deadpool or Harley to be a "true key." I'd just say the demand has to far outweigh supply

I say it has to be branded as such and also common knowledge, your average person has arguably heard of x23 before....the movie...

The common knowledge is there for squirrel girl before any movie or such among collectors, so it could be branded that way 

Here's my approach to answering the question. I'd say a "true key" has the following properties:

• A book that isn't artificially scarce, so no incentive variants

• A book that would have been available for pretty much anyone to order in advance at cover price (or a discount to cover price, with services that offer them) or been able to pick up for cover price in a store that ordered them

• Has staying power past the run of whatever creative team made the book/character popular. (This is why I would discount many Image books, even The Walking Dead. I think once Kirkman is done with the book, that book will start to drop in value. It's never going in the dollar bin, but there will be a steady decline. Availability won't be significant, because too many people will be hesitant to part with the book if it's decreasing.)

• Demand exceeds supply by a significant margin.

With that in mind, I think the best bet (and this will probably come as no surprise, considering my avatar) is Valiant books. They're selling a fraction of the numbers that Marvel and DC are, they're publishing a shared universe, and they have movies on the horizon. The problem with books featuring Marvel and DC characters that will be appearing in movies/on TV, is that there's not a ton of room for growth, unless either company decides to push an obscure character (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy). Everyone who is already collecting comics already knows who the major players from those companies are, and either are or aren't buying the comics. Comic-based movies/television doesn't do a lot to convert viewers into readers. With good movies, Valiant stands to gain readers *amongst people that are already collecting comics* but don't know enough about the characters. Since the 2012 relaunch, there have been a number of new characters introduced, and a number of characters that have been significantly redesigned to essentially be new characters. Many of these books have reported Comichron numbers below 10K, some around 5K. If good movies spurs enough interest in Valiant to raise their readership to even 2% of the market, then that's basically doubling their readership. Back issues are tough to find in many cases (even the non-variants). Add in a new fan base, and any key issue will pretty much disappear, if you can even find one out there now.