• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know much about vlcomic.com or why a site with scans of every DC and Marvel comic exists at all?

7 posts in this topic

So it appears you can view scans of most comics from the past or present on vlcomic.com.  I've been searching for information about the site without much luck.  Anyone know much about it or why DC and Marvel haven't gone after them yet?  Usually both companies guard their comic copyrights pretty well, yet somehow that site is offering a viable alternative to their own online monthly comics subscription service.  My first guess would be that it's hosted out of the country and they haven't been able to legally affect its operation yet, but I have no actual idea what's going on with them.  I do know that the domain name is registered to a company in Vietnam which lends a limited amount of credence to international legal issues being what's allowing them to operate.  I'm particularly interested in answers to the following questions:

• How long has the site been up?
  • Who runs it, and where is it hosted?
  • What actions have Marvel and DC tried to get the site taken down?
  • Who's doing all the scanning?
Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Who's doing all the scanning?

The scans were most likely collected over time from one or more of the many sources that have made them available. Scans of older comics have been around for many years and every new comic is available online on the day of release.

They could even be using the images made by the publishers for their official digital offerings for all I know.

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The scans were most likely collected over time from one or more of the many sources that have made them available. Scans of older comics have been around for many years and every new comic is available online on the day of release.

I thought of that, but every one I've ever seen on the site is a uniform size, lighting, and quality no matter how old or new the comic is, and that indicated to me they were all scanned in a similar way.  But who knows, I'm sure I haven't looked at more than a fraction of a percent of what's up there, so maybe you're right and they do vary in size and quality or they're getting ripped from DC and Marvel directly.

Edited by fantastic_four

Some other recommended ones are readcomiconline.to (WAY more up to date) and readallcomics.com (releases new comics on the days they come out).

Edited by Skylath

4 minutes ago, Skylath said:

Some other recommended ones are readcomiconline.to (WAY more up to date) and readallcomics.com (releases new comics on the days they come out).

logo_productie.png

tenor.gif?itemid=4141379

Edited by Ares