• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comics #15: seeking restoration advice

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I currently own a Planet Comics 15. I purchased it on Ebay from a trusted seller/ board member. When I bought it the book was in a green label CGC 1.5 slab because the cover was married to the book.

I deslabbed it for 2 reasons: one was to scan the book for PS Artbooks for the Planet Comics compendiums, the cover was also slipping down inside the slab so I deslabbed the book to prevent any further damage.

The cover is completely split and detached from the book, 2 interior wraps are also detached. You can also see the cover and the interior portions sustained water damage at some point in the past.

As I feel the covers central mass is in pretty good shape I feel a restoration could produce a decent end result. My main reason to restore is I would rather have a book that is together rather than in pieces.

As I have never restored a book before I am hoping someone that has could chime in with their advice. Approximate cost to complete? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

MDS00026_zpseynguuqn.jpg

MDS00039_zpsx5aubqmq.jpg

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

I would look into Conservation (light Restoration which doesn’t receive the purple label when graded)

I am having a cover reattached right now, plus staples cleaned, on a GA book which will then grade out as Conserved (rather than Restored). I believe the timeline is faster versus extensive Resto.

My first suggestion would be to go with Matt Nelson and try to stick with a Conserved grade, Matt would probably be the best person to advise what could be done to stay within the guidelines, he can give you an estimate as well.