• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That book may be trimmed

9 posts in this topic

Hiya,

I won't bid that overgraded book but it looks like all three edges were trimmed. The logo, code, price box and typos are pretty closer to all the edges.

The seller described this book is unrestored. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sgt-Fury-and-His-Howling-Commandos-13-VF-8-5-Marvel-KEY-Captain-America-XOver/132993151151?hash=item1ef70270af:g:M0AAAOSwq0pcjv02

49 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Hiya,

I won't bid that overgraded book but it looks like all three edges were trimmed. The logo, code, price box and typos are pretty closer to all the edges.

The seller described this book is unrestored. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sgt-Fury-and-His-Howling-Commandos-13-VF-8-5-Marvel-KEY-Captain-America-XOver/132993151151?hash=item1ef70270af:g:M0AAAOSwq0pcjv02

It looks awkward. Agree

I would classify the edges of this book as "unnaturally sharp". The interesting thing is the front cover on this copy is actually well centered---most of the time, this book suffers from cover misalignment. A nice looking copy that appears to be chopped...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I would classify the edges of this book as "unnaturally sharp". The interesting thing is the front cover on this copy is actually well centered---most of the time, this book suffers from cover misalignment. A nice looking copy that appears to be chopped...

So small that it looks like the top and right edge are cropped off in the picture. Also, looks like possibly color touched as well in the upper left blue area. Going to save it to file and look at it more closely, analyze, and be back soon. .

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

OK, I had a chance to look at it on my full size monitor. It's probably not color touched. A tell is there, due to dissimilarities typical to color touched areas, in the blue near the top left corner. But the back cover scan reveals the probable culprit for this tell. A moisture spot/stain, that probably migrated through the entire book.

The right edge, however, does appear to be trimmed. The unnaturally "too" sharp right corners aren't being caused by the top and bottom edges being hacked. The top appears short in relation to artwork because it's shifted up, and there's a lot of art showing at the bottom (enough to counterbalance it.  It's the right edge that's trimmed, with what I'd call a 90% probability.

Also, because there's not a bit of overhang at the bottom, in fact, the opposite, the inside pages showing beyond the level of the pages, this is occurring not due to cover only trim, but because the paper surrounding the staples is loose, the staples not firmly seated and there I sufficient play for the cover to shift up and down.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

That company sells a lot of books online. Have to believe they would mention that if they realized it... maybe it slipped through the cracks. Don't think a pro would miss it..

I agree; an unintended error. A quick scan of their raw books currently listed at auction reveals nothing that similarly stands out with any tells for resto or trim. Nor can I remember anything out of the ordinary in the past that stood out to me as suspect, when while surfing ebay I've stopped and viewed their listings.

Edited by James J Johnson