• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed gets a "Professional" now?

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MastrCntrlProgram said:

So, I was under the impression that "trimming" was considered amateur, and always got a "C". Anyone else notice this?

af15 a5.jpg

Didn't notice that ever; until now. Error? New policy?

Maybe the work was done by a restoration professional and submitted with the restoration certificate? Although I don't know of any pros who consider trimming a restoration/conservation procedure.

An interesting find, to say the least.

16 hours ago, faster friends said:

If the cover was leaf cast it would need to be trimmed to size. That would be professional.

Trimming leaf-casted material hasn't been called "trimmed" in the past, and that would bother me if that is what's going on now.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:36 PM, oldrover said:

I have an A-4 JIM 83 with an edge trimmed. Just had it graded in November. 

I would have bet my life on it being a mistake.

What's the certification number?

CGC' site PDF still says "trimming of any kind" is C (poor).

24 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

??? That's two of them.

Eleven days apart. Newbie assigning grade scale?

Someone should call them and ask what's up.

Agreed.

I'm reasonably sure that an AF 15 in this condition (Apparent 9.2) wasn't finalized by a newbie, and typically the restoration notes would have been written on the label by one of the restoration professionals at CGC or CCS. I would also have to speculate that the restoration (other than the top edge trim) was classified as professional as a way of letting the owner (and anyone else) know that the majority of the work done was professional...(shrug)

17 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

I'm reasonably sure that it doesn't have anything to do with the majority of the restoration.

i found an FF 48-- 9.6 that was called B1, on Ebay, that was only slight color touch and all 3 sides trimmed from 12/18.

Please bear in mind that CGC always tries to share any and all relevant information about a given book. There are times when the classification of a book may conflict with what some people have come to expect. For me, the important thing is that as a buyer, seller, or owner, you know exactly what was done to the book and what condition the book is in. It's not a perfect system, but it gives us the insight to make informed decisions about buying, selling and owning these wonderful items. If someone has a problem with the way a particular situation was handled, I'm sure CGC would be willing to listen to any and all concerns...   

15 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

Which is why I said that someone should call them.

It would be nice to know if someone is just having a brain cramp.

???:facepalm:(shrug)

Of course a mistake could have been made, but my sense is this is how CGC will be describing restoration from now on. In this case and in the one you mentioned concerning the FF #48, I think what we're seeing is the evolution of CGC. The expanded restoration guidelines would suggest that CGC is attempting to categorize the way a book has been restored as well as what was actually done to it. It's certainly more ambitious than the previous system. Hopefully it's not too confusing...

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:14 AM, The Lions Den said:

Of course a mistake could have been made, but my sense is this is how CGC will be describing restoration from now on. In this case and in the one you mentioned concerning the FF #48, I think what we're seeing is the evolution of CGC. The expanded restoration guidelines would suggest that CGC is attempting to categorize the way a book has been restored as well as what was actually done to it. It's certainly more ambitious than the previous system. Hopefully it's not too confusing...

This appears to be a trend and not a mistake.

Hope no one gets upset , i have a small question about trimmed books and i thought i would piggy back this thread .

What does it mean when there is no restoration level on the label just the words apparent ?

Does it mean they are not sure and if let's say i submited the book 5 more times i could get a blue label from one of the submisions ?

Thanks and sorry for the slight offtopic .

trimmed.JPG