• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you buy books with tape?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bc said:

:applause:

That's what I thought the OP was asking when I saw the thread title.

Usually the joke gets made quickly when thread titles are worded in a way that encourages it. I was surprised that I got to be the one to post it on the second page. And I wonder if this obvious joke also went over kav's head.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: No, I do not buy books that have tape on them.

I usually don't buy books with tape, but there was one instance where I really regretted not doing so.  Years ago, my LCS had an X-Men #1 that on rough evaluation was maybe a 5.5 or 6.  The only issue was there was a roughly 2" piece of scotch tape on the inside front cover.  It wasn't even being used to repair a tear; it was just there.  The asking price was $2000.  The value of the book went bonkers since then and I paid roughly 3x for the copy I have now.

Sure I don't really care and in the pre internet days I would just take whatever I could get, and still do, I don't care. Low grades are cheaper, so it's fine with me.

Not comics, but I just remembered about 25 years ago I stopped in a little junk shop out in the middle of nowhere and there were piles and piles of 30s and 40s pulps and all of them had scotch tape around all the edges of the covers, but there was a ton of good stuff and I didn't care and bought them anyway and when I brought my stack up to the little old lady that was in there to buy them she acted so proud and told me how she taped up all those raggedy magazines to stop them from falling apart lol

Tape is Absolutely NOT an issue for me.  :baiting:

Again for the umpteenth time I will send chills up everyone's spine... :fear:

I use tape!!!  :whatthe:  :ohnoez:  :eek:

It keeps my very low grade reading copies that are already falling apart from falling apart even more when and if they are handled which puts a Big :bigsmile: on my face.

And as far as the skeptics and haters go I will tell you what my Grandson says...

"Too Bad, So Sad"  :devil:

Daredevil 1 FR 1.0.JPG

Not for me ... this is one of barriers stopping me from buying any GA/SA/BA comics for my collection. It is high up under “detached covers”.

However, I would take them ... just to read for fun.

22 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Not for me ... this is one of barriers stopping me from buying any GA/SA/BA comics for my collection. It is high up under “detached covers”.

However, I would take them ... just to read for fun.

I don’t understand the detached cover hate? If it is slabbed why does it make any difference to those of you that hate this defect?

it is actually one of my favourite defects because you get a great presenting copy for the grade. 

Tape and staple rust discolour and degrade a book over time - But a detached cover does not do any further damage ....... so I find it interesting that people dislike it so much. 

But people are free to dislike what they want obviously. 

Edited by Chillax23

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

I don’t understand the detached cover hate? If it is slabbed why does it make any difference to those of you that hate this defect?

it is actually one of my favourite defects because you get a great presenting copy for the grade. 

Tape and staple rust discolour and degrade a book over time - But a detached cover does not do any further damage ....... so I find it interesting that people dislike it so much. 

But people are free to dislike what they want obviously. 

I have quite a few books which have detached covers. Yes, sometimes if the covers presents nice clean look, and the pages are detached from the covers. I don’t have a GA book like that ...yet, but did had a few SA ones. 

It is the fact that it is detached what bothers me. Didn’t know why, but it just do. Now, if it is detached AND split covers ... oh boy. lol

However, if should find a GA copy with nice covers detached, I will submit it to CGC or restoration service depending what can be done to make it attached back with pages. If it is a key ... well.. let’s see if that will change my mind, hmm? 😉

Tape, Tape, Tape, Blah, Blah, Blah...  :preach:

My feeling on this issue and others is this... :preach:  rantrant

They are comic books, they were originally published as "inexpensive, disposable" entertainment for kids :baiting: and that is why I have them and had them as a kid in the 60's.  :luhv:

My goal in collecting has/had nothing to do with monetary value.

I collect to read the stories and complete my runs so if I feel the need I can read the entire storyline of a character without missing an issue.

I was and am not going to spend bookoo :flipbait:  to complete runs so they can be read and handled, PR/FR reading copies held together with tape, remainder copies, faded covers, water damage, etc mean nothing to me if the price is right and the story is preserved.

I do however only own one coverless book, Sad Sack #1 from 1949 which I purchased for $20.00 and needed that to complete my run of 10 cent covers (#'s 1 - 124) :cloud9:

I can also say this...

If any of the books I currently need (Kid Colt Outlaw 1 and 2, Rawhide Kid 1, JIM 1, Strange Tales 1) showed up coverless/remaindered/taped/falling apart and the PRICE WAS RIGHT I would probably (shrug) buy them.

OK, now that I've gotten that out of my system and I am done listening to myself talk, carry on and Thanks for listening. (thumbsu