• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you buy books with tape?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

I recently bought an X-Men #1 with a load of ugly tape, right down the spine and on the inside of the cover front and back. I thought I could live with it, I wanted to keep it but in the end I decided to sell it and immediately before I changed my mind. It was in my hands less than 72 hours. It also had three extra staples. The tape was so old it just basically fell away, the three extra staples I removed with some needle nose pliers. 

I have low standards but fat chicks I draw the line at! Same with books that look like this!

img20190204_23404980.thumb.jpg.87f9a8eafb9df49fc663d6e8bf9e42aa.jpg

img20190204_23422560.thumb.jpg.e59d00ec95128d8d2aed2427ec0a1d6a.jpg

This #2 came from the same collection / seller. For some reason I don't mind holding it... Probably coz it was nowhere near as much money! The same guy tells me he has a run of ASM 1-100 which I'm hoping to buy a part of depending on price :)

img20190216_02561810.thumb.jpg.59423fcbc23da822043c3101b75da679.jpg

img20190216_02574362.thumb.jpg.86dbe71174624106be37d3c28efaab5f.jpg

High grade condition - High price... Low grade - Low price. So long as the price is good I'll buy a book in any condition :) 

On 3/23/2019 at 5:43 PM, James J Johnson said:

I don't even want to see tape on a comic bag.

James wont even say the word 'tape' near a comic.

Are we talking any kind of tape? Archival tape doesn't merit a lower grade, right? I'd be okay with owning some pre-moderns with archival tape on the insides of the cover(s). Maybe even regular tape.

If buying a slabbed book - I'd be fine with tape that is holding the cover(s) together and also isn't visible from the case. Tape doesn't really matter on a reader, to me. I wouldn't buy a raw 'collection copy' with non-archival tape.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I'd be okay with owning some pre-moderns with archival tape....

I'd be fine with tape that is holding the cover(s) together and also isn't visible from the case.

Tape doesn't really matter on a reader, to me.

I wouldn't buy a raw 'collection copy' with non-archival tape.

Apparently, you don't suffer from Tape-o-phobia, like Kav and I do. And I can't speak for Kav on this, but for me, Tape-o-phobia is a chronic condition, and not simply a seasonal issue. I never tape. I tuck.

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Apparently, you don't suffer from Tape-o-phobia, like Kav and I do. And I can't speak for Kav on this, but for me, Tape-o-phobia is a chronic condition, and not simply a seasonal issue. I never tape. I tuck.

I mean - I don't currently own any books with tape.

Also, I don't tape any of my bags closed (I prefer the PSA-seal - I'm too careful to somehow get a comic accidentally snagged on it).

I've never bought a pre-Copper Age book. Maybe things would change if I wasn't into moderns. I grew up in the Modern Age - so that's what I collect. I would never buy a Modern with tape, though, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I mean - I don't currently own any books with tape.

Also, I don't tape any of my bags closed (I prefer the PSA-seal - I'm too careful to somehow get a comic accidentally snagged on it).

I've never bought a pre-Copper Age book. Maybe things would change if I wasn't into moderns. I grew up in the Modern Age - so that's what I collect. I would never buy a Modern with tape, though, that's for sure.

Most tape repairs are done as a quick fix by amateurs. Akin to addressing a severe wound by simply slapping a Band-Aid on it and not seriously addressing the wound. Much in the same way, when scotch tape is hastily used to close a tear or keep it from spreading, or a piece from falling off (or a book from separating into parts)., there's nothing archival about it. It's a layman's fix to a problem, like taping a piece of paper in a notebook. Being that this is the type of taping job normally encountered on older comics, using non-archival material, even it the tape hasn't began doing so yet, you know that the eventual outcome, years or decades or now, is the degradation of the paper under the tape! That's why I've always avoided it. Even as a price affordability mitigating circumstance for savings on an expensive key. To me, those adhesive chemicals in that tape are a cancer that will eventually eat away at the paper, whether in my lifetime or beyond it.