• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ever forget to put a bid in an auction?
4 4

30 posts in this topic

Lately, I have been wrapped up with work and family to put bids in for books I have been wanting for a long time.

I'm not getting down because I know as a collector I have to be patient but I can't seem to get the time to just sit back and plot my bid strategy.

11 minutes ago, MadripoorNights said:

I just did it Sunday.  A slabbed 9.8 I would have bid up to around $100 for.  It sold for $11 :facepalm:

i feel your pain. i've had that happen to me a few time in the past few months. so frustrating.

Yes.  I try to remember then I get involved in some board matters and-whoops.  Dang.

Yep, yep!  Always all good, almost always relisted, or wasn’t meant to be at the time, and I get an item of equivalence ( or even the same item ) later on,  at a lower or near price.  👍

About a month ago a decent ToS 15 first Goom sold for around $60.00.  I kicked myself for not bidding on that one.  I also have to realize that I would not necessarily had gotten it if I had placed a bid of $61.00.  You never know how much the other person would have bid.  Sometimes, I think that books like that may only have a couple of determined competitors and that is what is results in high prices in the end.  It is only the absence of that 2nd competitor that makes the other guy get such a good deal.  

What I have gotten in the habit of is checking for auctions ending on days other than Sunday.  On a random Wednesday, for example, you can type in "X-Men Bronze Age" and select "auction only ending soonest" and you can be surprised what might turn up.  You can get some good deals on those ones.  If it is Sunday evening though, forget about it.