• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this even grade?

14 posts in this topic

Probably a .5, but it might not matter to you as another collector... or even your eventual buyer of it.

There was a guy selling an AF15 on eBay a while back without the center fold pages, and with at least half the cover gone and detached.

He didn't have it CGC'd, probably because it ALSO had Stan's sig on it. 

IIRC it sold for $5000. :) Ultimately, if the book is good enough... and at the right price... it's good enough for you. Or the next guy.

I like how people are offering unsolicited opinions, but not even attempting to answer the actual question.

I say bet the OVER on SF Giants wins for baseball this season.  OVER 73 WINS.  BIG regression for the D-backs with lots of good free agents lost, Machado will be a bust for the Pads, and I think a minor step back with the Dodgers.

2 hours ago, revat said:

I like how people are offering unsolicited opinions, but not even attempting to answer the actual question.

Actually, when someone asks a question, as the OP did, that's solicitation of an opinion. Even if you disagree with the response that solicitation evokes, it's still not an unsolicited opinion, since the OP did ask and anything that takes place as a response is not unsolicited.

Also, to better answer his question more thoroughly, knowing which book the solicited opinion refers to, might or might not have a bearing on the solicited opinion.

10 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Just out of curiosity, what is he asking for it?

Generally a PR 0.5 will bring 1/4 of the GD 2.0 price so according to Overstreet that would be $90.00. ($360.00 in GD 2.0)

I would never use the OPG to value a comic like this (or really any comic).

To answer the OPs question.... I believe CGC would either give it a .5, or if it's nice enough they might give it a "Qualified" label with an "apparent grade".

Here's some more info for you.... GPA says a .5 (incomplete) sold last October for $258. A 1.0 sold in 2017 for $361.

If you really like it maybe try offering $200 and see if they have some wiggle room.

Edited by gadzukes

46 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Other question....how often did you see Action Comics #47 out there?

There's an answer to that, because of GPA.

Last month, a CGC 1.8 universal sold for $367. I assume that was complete.

About 4 months ago, a 0.5 incomplete sold for $258.

Going by these two most recent sales, my feeling is that he should be able to buy the next Act 47 in the CGC 1.0 to 1.8 complete range for less than $400 or thereabout. IMO $300 is too much for an incomplete copy in a marketplace where a complete 1.8 sold for $367 last month.

That stated, if it has to be an Action 47, and not another early Action to add to his collection, than it may be wise to jump on this for $300 and not have to wonder when the next low grade Action 47 will come along. If not a keenly wanted issue, a must have needed issue, then $300 is either steep, or priced at the top of the market, IMO, for an incomplete 0.5.

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I would never use the OPG to value a comic like this (or really any comic).

Maybe things have changed but when I was going to shows, large or small (have not gone to any in about 10 years) every dealer and almost all perspectives buyers were walking around with their copy of the Overstreet Price Guide in hand.

9 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Maybe things have changed but when I was going to shows, large or small (have not gone to any in about 10 years) every dealer and almost all perspectives buyers were walking around with their copy of the Overstreet Price Guide in hand.

I love my OSG for all the specific notes about each comic, but for value...... I'll pass.  OSG undervalues all key issues.