• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous Monsters of Filmland #250 Ray Ferry Edition

20 posts in this topic

Picture first, questions after.

IMG_5948.jpg

I have been reading up about this magazine for a few weeks and I'm still confused about a few things and was curious if someone here might have a little information on this.

Is this a bootlegged version? Were copies printed? Are they illegal bootlegs from Ray Ferry? Will CGC Grade this?

Peace and Love.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

Yeah, that's pretty much the story. Ferry loses the lawsuit and can't use the title, anymore and Kim publishes his own #250.

It's a real mag put together by Ferry, but I don't remember all the particulars, anymore. Seems like I remember people being able to get copies, but other than that . . .

If I run across some info, I'll post it.

44 minutes ago, Jayman said:

According to Wikipedia Ferry never paid Forry any of the 720,000 the court ordered him to. If that’s true it a real shame...:sorry:

Actually Ferry tried to hand it over to one of his employees claiming he was bankrupt but the court thought otherwise and ordered him to pay. Then there started a whole feud of a kind (silly) were Ferry claimed that Forry's chief magazine photographer was a "Hit man" and he thought his life was in danger, by the way the photographer was in his 80's? As Ferry was now bankrupt he asked some of his fan's to invest in Famous monsters to bring it back to life, this failed as the court had ordered that the Famous monsters title had to be sold off. These few fan's who had stuck by him were left out of pocket and then Ferry started to publish Freaky monsters in the Famous monsters style and is still being published every now and again.    

Edited by tv horror

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

Since i purchased this copy directly from Ferry I'm just confused if these are some how warehouse finds that he kept (which would be weird) or if he's printing these to order.

I would say the former as he did not own the copyright at that time due to the court order. 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:34 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

I have been reading up about this magazine for a few weeks and I'm still confused about a few things and was curious if someone here might have a little information on this.

Is this a bootlegged version? Were copies printed? Are they illegal bootlegs from Ray Ferry? Will CGC Grade this?

Here's what I can tell you: As far as it being a "bootleg" version, from what I've read, Ferry had this issue printed up before the court ruling. Once he found out he no longer had the rights to publish the book under the Famous Monsters name, he printed a bunch of stickers and slapped them on the covers and interior pages of this issue and sold it as "We Got By With A Little Help From Our Fiends." To me, WGBWALHFOF  is actually more of a bootleg than the one you have...  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

10 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Here's what I can tell you: As far as it being a "bootleg" version, from what I've read, Ferry had this issue printed up before the court ruling. Once he found out he no longer had the rights to publish the book under the Famous Monsters name, he printed a bunch of stickers and slapped them on the covers and interior pages of this issue and sold it as "We Got By With A Little Help From Our Fiends." To me, WGBWALHFOF  is actually more of a bootleg than the one you have...  (thumbsu

I’d like to see that version! (thumbsu

Hello all, from the future (of when this conversation started). 

Ray Ferry sent my grandmother copies of stuff throughout the years (she was in Mad Monster Party), including a famous monsters of filmland t-shirt that was my favorite shirt until is mysteriously disappeared in the early 2000's.  Anyways, I am researching (just started) the "frankenbook" version of this issue. Here are some photos if anyone was curious, and to be honest I didn't even realize there were stickers on the cover until reading this thread, smh @ myself. Thanks for info you all contributed to this thread. Pardon the glare I need to order more polarizing film for my lights. 

Monsters001.jpg

Monsters002.jpg

Monsters003.jpg

Monsters004.jpg

Monsters005.jpg

Monsters006.jpg

Monsters007.jpg

Monsters008.jpg

To answer part of the original question:  Yes, CGC will grade both the "We Got By With a Little Help From our Friends" version as well as the version that states "250th Issue" at the bottom.  The former is designated as "altered", since this version had the stickers applied and all references to Famous Monsters removed.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, Jimmy Linguini said:

Picture first, questions after.

IMG_5948.jpg

Peace and Love.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, The Lions Den said:

What’s the going rate for either issue? I’m assuming the copy with stickers gets hammered in CGC grading? I’ve seen these both just not sure of their value...

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

What’s the going rate for either issue? I’m assuming the copy with stickers gets hammered in CGC grading? I’ve seen these both just not sure of their value...

The issue seen above used to sell for around $100 in nice shape. I think it may be cheaper now due to Ray Ferry falling out of favor with many FM loyalists due to his disagreements with FJA. And it doesn't usually get hammered by CGC; they would just look at it as any other magazine and grade it accordingly. 

I'm not sure about the "original" #250...I've never actually owned one.  (shrug)