• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smith CONAN Cover # 5.....to be or not to be? That is the question?

44 posts in this topic

On a recent post here in the forum about the Heritage auction last month several members made the point that they felt Barry Smiths/Conan era art well still selling well was trending downward ( I am paraphrasing). This cover ( #5) well not the peak of Smiths Conan era work imo is still pretty badass! It sold at Heritage last August for 60k, it's now coming up in the May Comic Link sale and IMO should give some insight into where Smith Conan art is at right now. I would assume selling it this soon the results will be just about the same or maybe even less and that would support the recent conversation about Smiths art leveling off a bit. Now I am new here & I may be way off & was hoping for some insight?

RAD587212019319_12631.jpg

Edited by Frank Mozz

Logic dictates that it will go down. Comic Link does not usually attract the attention of a Heritage auction, and it was already at its prior high point based on what the prior winner bid. Don't be surprised to see up to a 5-10% drop purely based on those administrative considerations.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Logic dictates that it will go down. Comic Link does not usually attract the attention of a Heritage auction, and it was already at its prior high point based on what the prior winner bid. Don't be surprised to see up to a 5-10% drop purely based on those administrative considerations.

So in your opinion is that representative of the interest in Barry Smiths Conan art, in general, slowing a bit or is it the fact that this cover, in particular, was sold just a few months ago on a site that tends to bring more $$$ or maybe a little of both?

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

3 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

So in your opinion is that representative of the interest in Barry Smiths Conan art, in general, slowing a bit or is it the fact that this cover, in particular, was sold just a few months ago on a site that tends to bring more $$$ or maybe a little of both?

I don't follow the Smith Conan market closely but, was this confirmed to have actually sold and moved from one non-affiliated collection to another...as in actually? The relist, so soon and downmarket too, would only make sense if somebody values cash, even less cash this year versus last, over art. I mean...another grail comes up, sure, medical bills mounting, sure, "special" operation to resolve lifelong inner conflict, oh definitely! But, otherwise...??

4 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Mostly, the second, but not because of declining interest in BWS art which has also been reported. Also, because the person who was the highest bidder the last time, and is selling, is no longer bidding on it. Unless someone else really wants it, the second lowest bidder would then bid again at the lower second highest price unless he/she has also spent the money on something else. Don't forget, this is not a large market. 

I have noticed something similar with Aparo/Phantom Stranger art since last May or June. Mid level pieces, and below, have been going down (nothing terrific has come up for auction). I think it makes sense because people who would be buying them are satisfied with what they have since bought, and don't care to add more. In fact, I am curious if others have seen similar drops since last June for other characters.  From what I can tell, I think the market is now several hundred less than the middle of last year (or more).

And for those of you who like a little schadenfreude, Albert Moye had been trying to unload a Phantom Stranger cover for $7,500 for some time. It was not a good piece (woman opening a treasure chest). Right when  the market heated up, around last March, the Brothers Donnelly bought it for an unknown price. And that is where it continues to sit.

18 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

All of the above.  It certainly can't help that the piece is being relisted so soon afterwards, which means that the highest bidder in the Heritage auction is no longer interested in the piece. 

But bidding dynamics alone could result in a big drop in price.  If the bidding at the end of the Heritage auction was solely between the underbidder and the winner, and the 3rd highest bidder had tapped out well before then, then the Heritage underbidder could win this time at the price only necessary to beat out the third highest bidder, if no new bidder comes in and assuming that the underbidder and 3rd bidder bid at exactly the same levels as they did in August.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

All of the above.  It certainly can't help that the piece is being relisted so soon afterwards, which means that the highest bidder in the Heritage auction is no longer interested in the piece. 

But bidding dynamics alone could result in a big drop in price.  If the bidding at the end of the Heritage auction was solely between the underbidder and the winner, and the 3rd highest bidder had tapped out well before then, then the Heritage underbidder could win this time at the price only necessary to beat out the third highest bidder, if no new bidder comes in and assuming that the underbidder and 3rd bidder bid at exactly the same levels as they did in August.

I am also curious if the omission of Clink from comic art tracker is resulting in lower prices being bid than if the site was included.

Forgive me for not understanding the paparticulars of their relationship...

Is CAT omitting CL auction items from CAT notifications?

Or, is CL omitting auction items from being 'automatically enrolled' in CAT notifications?

In otherwords, is CL not sharing auction data/listings?

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

Forgive me for not understanding the paparticulars of their relationship...

Is CAT omitting CL auction items from CAT notifications?

Or, is CL omitting auction items from being 'automatically enrolled' in CAT notifications?

In otherwords, is CL not sharing auction data/listings?

My understanding is that CL did not want Comic Tracker to scrape its site to list its auctions in CL. So, Comic Tracker does not list them, even though the author of the system would like to.

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

My understanding is that CL did not want Comic Tracker to scrape its site to list its auctions in CL. So, Comic Tracker does not list them, even though the author of the system would like to.

Does anyone have insight into the reasoning for c-link withholding their results?  I can't think of how that could possibly be a good business decision. 

I thought it had something to do with the value of the historical data. That is, CL sees value in those closed listings and did not want to give it away for free. Or maybe public historical data isn't to the best interest of the auctioneers, which I could envision for several reasons.

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Does anyone have insight into the reasoning for c-link withholding their results?  I can't think of how that could possibly be a good business decision. 

Had a chat with Doug at Comiclink about why they don’t keep auction results, and make other recommended changes to improve their site.  Doug took the time to listen carefully to all of my points and provided repsonses to each item.

while I didn’t agree with the majority of his points, I was able to understand Clink’s POV but it’s been I while since we had the conversation, and I don’t recall the details (shrug)