• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANYBODY WANT TALK PRE BATMAN TEC?

19 posts in this topic

Circa 1980 I was going hardcore into GA, especially Batman. Drove down to Cherokee Bookshop in Hollywood, walked up the back steps, and into the area with boxes and shelves lining the walls. Asked the sales guy for Detective comics, and he handed me a box of books.

Much to my chagrin at the time, I looked through the box but there wasn’t a single Batman ‘Tec in the bunch as all the issues were pre-Batman! The sales guy laughed because he had played a joke on me and given me the non-Batman box on purpose. He made some comment about no one wanting those books before finally handing me the Batman ‘Tec boxes.

I can’t recall what issues were in that initial box as I didn’t give the non-Bats comics any regard at all. 

Ah to be young, dumb, and stupid... 

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Circa 1980 I was going hardcore into GA, especially Batman. Drove down to Cherokee Bookshop in Hollywood, walked up the back steps, and into the area with boxes and shelves lining the walls. Asked the sales guy for Detective comics, and he handed me a box of books.

Much to my chagrin at the time, I looked through the box but there wasn’t a single Batman ‘Tec in the bunch as all the issues were pre-Batman! The sales guy laughed because he had played a joke on me and given me the non-Batman box on purpose. He made some comment about no one wanting those books before finally handing me the Batman ‘Tec boxes.

I can’t recall what issues were in that initial box as I didn’t give the non-Bats comics any regard at all. 

:foryou:

7 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

Hi

talk, share, converse? about one of "the" title's?

I've looked for a #1, seen a few nice 5.0 but never had the nerve to pull the trigger, so my earliest Tec starts with this,

tec_2_50_cgc_20190221.jpg

you must be bored Bunky LOL. Nice upgrade for sure. 

13 and 18 are my all time Pre Bat Tec favorites. :luhv:

Edited by Primetime

8 hours ago, sacentaur said:

There at the early onset, you Steve

I’ve also talked about being at Gary Carter’s house back in the day when he brought out a stack of Church pre-Batman ‘Tecs that he was selling. I remember the 6 because it was a second-hand copy (lower grade) and cheap, so I bought it. Also bought the 19 and 23, which were comparatively inexpensive. I moved those 3 books long ago.

Didn’t have the money to purchase any other issues, that was my one and only opportunity...

9 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I’ve also talked about being at Gary Carter’s house back in the day when he brought out a stack of Church pre-Batman ‘Tecs that he was selling. I remember the 6 because it was a second-hand copy (lower grade) and cheap, so I bought it. Also bought the 19 and 23, which were comparatively inexpensive. I moved those 3 books long ago.

Didn’t have the money to purchase any other issues, that was my one and only opportunity...

This one??

8CD0BBA2-9250-4BEA-8476-CA3130AB4D63.jpeg.45ee287fa2193aca345dfc112dd30778.jpeg

1 hour ago, W16227 said:

This one??

8CD0BBA2-9250-4BEA-8476-CA3130AB4D63.jpeg.45ee287fa2193aca345dfc112dd30778.jpeg

I got an old picture of #6 had to turn the picture since the comics where hung upside down. in large the picture and you will see great book;s

newsstand-34 Detective 6 more-fun-24.jpg

newsstand-34 Detective 6 new adventure 18.jpg

I only have one pre-Bats 'Tec, but it's a pretty cool book... :shy:

b70d2dc0-df72-4a6d-a81d-60175aac83d5_zps

I'm hopeful that D.C. has enough gumption to put the two volume slipcased early 'Tec Omnibus back on the '19 release schedule...

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-dc-to-release-massive-detective-comics-slipcase-collection/

According to Amazon this massive 1500 page set will be available in 2080, ...that's only 61 years longer to wait! :D 

14 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm hopeful that D.C. has enough gumption to put the two volume slipcased early 'Tec Omnibus back on the '19 release schedule...

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-dc-to-release-massive-detective-comics-slipcase-collection/

According to Amazon this massive 1500 page set will be available in 2080, ...that's only 61 years longer to wait! :D 

What's the story on this?  Was the book ever published?

9 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

What's the story on this?  Was the book ever published?

Nope, this set was supposed to be released last week, but the plug was pulled without explanation.  (shrug)

Speculation ranges from D.C. deciding the current market wouldn't support it's specialty product pricing or slow roll-out warehousing considerations to concerns about the 30's era content being too insensitive (that seems a stretch, but comic publishers are keenly aware of what evokes heated controversy among fans, so I suppose it's possible).  Anyway, I should be able to sort out the reasoning this set was dropped from Bob Wayne (former VP of marketing Warner/DC).  

Fingers crossed that D.C. puts this back on the schedule at a later date (ummm, ...a bit sooner than 2080 though); I certainly would've pre-ordered if I'd known about this earlier.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:24 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I only have one pre-Bats 'Tec, but it's a pretty cool book... :shy:

b70d2dc0-df72-4a6d-a81d-60175aac83d5_zps

That's one of "the" one's to only have one,