• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tale of the $50 AMAZING FANTASY 15 1st SPIDERMAN CGC Graded Blue 3.0 KEY SILVER AGE LEE DITKO

17 posts in this topic

So I had this in my scheduled eBay listings as I was using it for a template for some other comic listings I intended to post over the next few weeks. Anyway, I forgot to delete it (getting old )  last week at 4 am or so it popped up on eBay for $50. The buyer emailed me and assumed it was a goof and I refunded his $50 ( even had free shipping lol) asap no harm no foul. Well over the past 7/10 days you would not believe the emails I have got...........

You just have to laugh............

Here is the buyer's response, very cool.....no problem, though there was a problem in the listing but who knows(maybe an angry wife(lol)

Here are the top 1-10

1. Hey if you have not sent the book yet I will be willing to trade you my ASM $300 9.0 as you would be making out because its the first Venom.

2. You made a mistake and priced this way too low this is not ASM #15 but AF15 and worth a lot more.

3. If you have not sold this I would be willing to drive up from Florida and would offer you $300 for the book as its the last one I need for my collection.

4. Please, please, please don't sell/send this comic my son is very sick and he has dreamed about having this in his collection since he was six and saw the first Spiderman movie. I can send payment with PayPal.

5. Do you have any other comics for sale like this as I would be willing to help you and make an offer for all of them as I am an expert on this era, I may even be able to pay you 100% current market value, please send pics of anything else you may have asap. Because I will be out of the country and may not be able to help you out.

6. Wow! man you messed up this book is worth at least 5 thousand dollars. Please let me know as I have cash in hand, this is no joke contact 

7. Man, I wish I would have seen it before now because I would have bought it. Do you have any other graded books available? I am looking for Fantastic Four 1, Avengers, 1 & 4  X Men 1,94 & a book called Giant Size 1, Hulk 1 & 181. I am also looking for them, not in the cases, however, the price would be less, send pics if you can as I like to make a lot deal & would pay very fast.

8. Before you post any other graded comics can you contact me as I may be able to save you all the listing cost as eBay is very expensive? I have a Facebook account you can contact me on.

9. Oh no, you didn't?

10. told this guy it was a goof...... Thank god I would not have been able to live knowing I missed this book for $50, I rather it be a mistake. Have a nice day.

Thats just the 10 best ones lol

s-l1600.jpg

Don't sell it on eBay!! I will pay you double, because my very young son, who is dying of severe gastrointestinal distress, and is only 37, has always dreamed of owning an entire run of Marvel/Atlas/Timely/DC/Gold Key/Dell/Centaur/MLJ comics, especially Church copies, and he has ever since he saw Spiderman 3 when he was 5 in 2007, where Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko signed his entire run of Strawberry Shortcake and Stan Lee adopted him. Can you do free shipping...?

:wishluck:

You better be careful, though. Listing an $18,000 book for $50 is liable to give people heart attacks trying to hit the BIN fast enough...

:D

Speaking of which...did you get any messages from honest people telling you what the book was actually worth, or was it all just people hoping they'd snared a sucker...?

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You better be careful, though. Listing an $18,000 book for $50 is liable to give people heart attacks trying to hit the BIN fast enough...

:D

Speaking of which...did you get any messages from honest people telling you what the book was actually worth, or was it all just people hoping they'd snared a sucker...?

No email said hey this book is worth this, but a few just asked it was a goof and were making sure.

6 hours ago, kimik said:

A local collector friend snagged a raw copy for $7 that graded out at 4.5 universal at a garage sale 5 or 6 years ago. Deals like that are rare, but they happen.

$7 in a garage sale?!?!!..... That's not even rare.. that's a once in a life time event!.... I.E. finding an action 1 as part in the wall of a house you just bought

IMO if you see a book is  PROFESSIONALLY GRADED (never mind on EBAY!), and is worth upward of $14,000.. there is NO WAY it is being sold for under grading fee's ($50) LMAO...

Some of these people scare me ..  :facepalm:

UPDATE: At this point, the sale ended over a week ago, I figure if your no smart enough to assume either this was a goof or at the very least it was sold I have responded in kind.......................

The ebayers name was removed because it would just not be right to let everyone know who they are........or as Red would say DUMB !

( NOTE: the first email starts at the bottom) 

I am not sure how to respond at this point lol

Okay now you're kidding? ................................................................................................................................................................... Right?

Your previous message

I am in Washinton State in the deep woods in a cabin. I don't want to ship this as it cost over $50 & that's a lot of bread bro. 
Why is that? Where are you located?

Your previous message

No you have to drive to my house and pick it up & we can have lunch before you go.

Yes I will pay, are you going to relist it?

Your previous message

You would pay $50???? I would want payment asap in cash & no hassle as the last buyer wanted it shipped for free!.

Is it still available to purchase??

Your previous message

Sure nobody wanted it?

Is this item still available??

Finding AF 15 for cheap can happen and I’ve seen it twice.  Nice story here though...

I know a dealer picked up a low grade copy at a Salvation Army for .25c, and I know this because I bought it from him for $1400 back many years ago.  I subsequently sold it to Gator who then had it slabbed as a 2.5.  Everyone shook the money tree on that copy.  I bought a copy for the equivalent of $3 when I purchased a large collection at auction 3300 books/10k so $3/book.  Of course I paid $3 for books of no value too but it was a straight up auction.  Slabbed it and sold it as a 1.8.  Was fortunate enough to trade/cash for my 3.0 keeper a while back but dang if prices haven’t just kept climbing.   I never should have sold a single copy I owned :-)