• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Effect of Cracked case on value

6 posts in this topic

I just sold a CGC encapsulated comic. The buyer indicated that it arrived with the corners cracked.

I want to do whats right by the buyer and will offer a full refund.

Alternatively, is there a rule-of-thumb how a damaged encapsulation affects the overall value?

I figure there are two primary factors here

1) The value of professional grading (which is unchanged)

2) The value of the case (which is diminished)

Or does CGC offer reencapsulation for damaged cases?

image3.jpeg

Had the same thing happen to me, only I was the buyer. Problem is that I want to keep the book, so I reached out to the seller to see if USPS insurance would cover the damage. A CGC reholder is only $15, but with fees and shipping it can be a lot more than that. If I can just get the $15 I'll be happy, but so far I haven't heard anything from the seller... 

Depending on the condition of the book, sometimes CGC will require a regrade instead of a reholder, but if book looks ok, they may not.

Personally, I wouldn't want to buy anything with an already cracked case (based on concern above),  so in a sense it affects value to me.

The only books I've sold with cracked holders have been non-key SA's with CT (PLODs). I figured I was gonna take a hit anyway.

However, I think it depends on the book.

I reholdered two cracked cases of Ultimate Spider-Man 1 white variant... and between the cost of reholdering and the price at which they sold, I'd have been better off selling them as-is.

CGC reholders books for $16

The issue is that the final cost ends up substantially more. 

There is $5 invoice fee

There is return shipping. One book, with $100 of insurance - is $14 via UPS or FedEx. If the book is worth more, Registered mail is going to be $32 or more if the book is expensive. 
There is shipping the book to CGC. 

So if the book isn't expensive, the total costs get close to $50 for a single book reholdered. If the book warrants Registered Mail (for insurance) then you can add another $20. 

All this is why I wait until I have maybe five books that need reholdered before I send them in. The invoice fee, the shipping fees really hit hard a submission of one book.  But spread out among five it isn't so bad. 

@crbeach

Welcome to the Boards (WTTB)

Please go to the Newbie Comic Collecting Questions section of these boards and review

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad

As a buyer, there is nothing worse than to receive a CGC graded book with a cracked case. It stinks for both parties involved.  I would hate to see this happen to you again if you continue to sell graded book.