• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insure international shipment

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody

I live in Spain, and I would like to encapsulate some comicbooks with CGC, but i´m worried about the shipping back. I want to insure them, but CGC told me they don´t do it, that when the comics leave the USA borders, they are not insured.

International members, do you use to insure your shipments? How do you do it?

Thanks in advance

Edited by GSX750

3 hours ago, GSX750 said:

Hi Everybody

I live in Spain, and I would like to encapsulate some comicbooks with CGC, but i´m worried about the shipping back. I want to insure them, but CGC told me they don´t do it, that when the comics leave the USA borders, they are not insured.

International members, do you use to insure your shipments? How do you do it?

Thanks in advance

It can be done. I think that an international parcel can be insured for up to $5000 using either Global Express or Priority mail and can be insured for up to $25,000 using either 1st class air or priority mail, registered. Not sure if this has changed in the last few years, you'll have to check with your post office.

That said, if it's not CGC's policy to insure international parcels, that supersedes what or what not the post office allows. And CGC's policy, if that is policy, is probably a prudent one as God forbid there is damage or loss, because even if insured for the full amount and a mishap occurs, the odds favor the post office declining to make good on the insurance, as comic books fall under the category of "irreplaceable items", and insurance assignment probably shouldn't have been accepted when mailed! I know hobbyists that have insured parcels, had mishaps, and the post office declined to remedy by honoring the insurance. It's in the language of what can be insured and what can't. You'd have to go over this with your postmaster and make it clear what's in the parcel, how much it must be insured for, and if there's a claim, will they honor the insurance you paid for or simply reimburse that unnecessary expense. I'm not sure if USPS policy has changed since I talked to the last collector this happened to.

CGC ships all international packages via FedEx.  They don't offer  USPS for international shipments.  So USPS insurance isn't a consideration. 

I work with several clients in the UK, Denmark and Germany.  Basically they cross their fingers.  They ship books to the USA insured - say UPS or DHL.  But CGC only uses FedEx for return shipping and the packages only have $100 worth of insurance.  So far nothing bad has happened. But your concern is legitimate. 

You might try researching if  if you can purchase private shipping insurance. But I suspect this is going to be difficult.  You might look into an insurance policy in Spain that insures your collectibles. Perhaps it might cover lost or shipping damage. Or could be added as an option. 

Edited by Tony S

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

It can be done. I think that an international parcel can be insured for up to $5000 using either Global Express or Priority mail and can be insured for up to $25,000 using either 1st class air or priority mail, registered. Not sure if this has changed in the last few years, you'll have to check with your post office.

That said, if it's not CGC's policy to insure international parcels, that supersedes what or what not the post office allows. And CGC's policy, if that is policy, is probably a prudent one as God forbid there is damage or loss, because even if insured for the full amount and a mishap occurs, the odds favor the post office declining to make good on the insurance, as comic books fall under the category of "irreplaceable items", and insurance assignment probably shouldn't have been accepted when mailed! I know hobbyists that have insured parcels, had mishaps, and the post office declined to remedy by honoring the insurance. It's in the language of what can be insured and what can't. You'd have to go over this with your postmaster and make it clear what's in the parcel, how much it must be insured for, and if there's a claim, will they honor the insurance you paid for or simply reimburse that unnecessary expense. I'm not sure if USPS policy has changed since I talked to the last collector this happened to.

Post office told me they dont track anything outside border so not sure how they can insure when a package goes AWOL.

22 minutes ago, kav said:

Post office told me they dont track anything outside border so not sure how they can insure when a package goes AWOL.

Post office (USPS) is misinforming you. They certainly track the more expensive classes of mail and offer insurance. 

First Class International is a bit hard to nail down. It is the least expensive international shipping service.  If you do the click and ship thing (buy postage online) it is tracked (you have to check the box, but it is free). No insurance is available. These packages cannot weigh over four pounds. The item(s) shipped cannot be declared to have a value over $400. Interestingly enough, you can register First Class international. The only international service where registered mail is available. Registering a package adds a great deal of security. But again, you have the $400 value / 4 pound limit.  Just like a registered mail package here in the USA, you cannot do it online. You have to take the package to a USPS branch office.  Maybe the USPS online information isn't accurate. Or MAYBE employees at branches do not know the rules. About eight years ago I sent a single slabbed comic to the UK - First Class international registered and insured for $5,000. 

Priority Mail International is tracked and can be insured for up to $650. You can also request a return receipt. 

Priority Mail Express International is tracked and can be insured for up to $650. You can also request a return receipt

Global Express guaranteed is tracked and be insured for up to $2499.00. 

The bottom line is this: When shipping packages from the USA to other countries, there is NO INEXPENSIVE shipping options. And insurance for contents is limited.   

Edited by Tony S

6 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Post office (USPS) is misinforming you. They certainly track the more expensive classes of mail and offer insurance. 

First Class International is a bit hard to nail down. It is the least expensive international shipping service.  If you do the click and ship thing (buy postage online) it is tracked (you have to check the box, but it is free). No insurance is available. These packages cannot weigh over four pounds. The item(s) shipped cannot be declared to have a value over $400. Interestingly enough, you can register First Class international. The only international service where registered mail is available. Registering a package adds a great deal of security. But again, you have the $400 value / 4 pound limit.  Just like a registered mail package here in the USA, you cannot do it online. You have to take the package to a USPS branch office.  Maybe the USPS online information isn't accurate. Or MAYBE employees at branches do not know the rules. About eight years ago I sent a single slabbed comic to the UK - First Class international registered and insured for $5,000. 

Priority Mail International is tracked and can be insured for up to $650. You can also request a return receipt. 

Priority Mail Express International is tracked and can be insured for up to $650. You can also request a return receipt

Global Express guaranteed is tracked and be insured for up to $2499.00. 

The bottom line is this: When shipping packages from the USA to other countries, there is NO INEXPENSIVE shipping options. And insurance for contents is limited.   

Thx!  I thought it was odd but sure enough tracking vanished when it left the US.  Must have used cheaper service.

3 hours ago, kav said:

That's correct, except for registered mail. That can always be tracked. Even internationally. Except for Germany. Germany has a strange system all their own. Somebody who sells on Ebay and Facebook was telling me about it. Sounded to me like he was describing how you pick up your luggage at the airport. :ohnoez:

CGC told me the don´t ship with USPS overseas, yes. They told me about a third company, in order to use them to insure the shipment, but i dont really know how to do it. And my poor english doesn´t help me...

Thanks you all

You can submit them to them through a 3rd party, or just ask them to ship them back to a trusted third party in the US. Then work with that 3rd party and get back your books to you in Spain with whatever method works best and feels safest for you. Thats what I have done the one and only time I submitted a higher end book for grading (I am in Sweden).