• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOW!!!! Uncanny X-Men #153 Hammer $6100

14 posts in this topic

Many of you know "Kitty's Fairytale" from Uncanny X-Men #153 is one of my favorite stories. Very few pages from this issue appear on the market only know of about 8 others before this one showed up on ebay. Only seen one other interior page from Dave's 2nd run go for more and that was a splash from issue #156. 

I am shocked at the final hammer and no I didn't win it. Its not the best page from the issue (I own that one) but it is up there. Looks like Dave's 2nd run is starting to heat up.

uncannyxmen153.jpg

Brian I was surprised too, expected more like $3500. Why that much even? Because I've been following listing carefully since 1997 and can't remember seeing another publicly available (online) since...2000? I'm sure one or two slipped past me, had to have, but very uncommon. Your dps is very special, but you don't need me to tell you that! $6k..somebody else (or several actually) are similarly aware of this scarcity.

2 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Looks like Dave's 2nd run is starting to heat up. 

I just want to go on record by saying I predicted this gap would close. It might be the only time I'll ever be right about something here on the boards... an important milestone in my collecting. (:

Just now, BCarter27 said:

I just want to go on record by saying I predicted this gap would close. It might be the only time I'll ever be right about something here on the boards... an important milestone in my collecting. (:

Just in time for you to start corning the market on Cockrum X-Men 2nd run.

13 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

WTF? I scour eBay for stuff and constantly miss gems like this. How in the hell do people find this stuff?!?

Do I really have to answer? :bigsmile:

https://comicarttracker.com/history?query=uncanny-153

You can at least keep an eye on this page: https://comicarttracker.com/ebay-auctions for popular stuff

Edited by NicoV

4 minutes ago, NicoV said:

Do I really have to answer? :bigsmile:

https://comicarttracker.com/history?query=uncanny-153

You can at least keep an eye on this page: https://comicarttracker.com/ebay-auctions for popular stuff

That's how I found it. I definitely do not scour eBay daily like I used from 1997 to 2012 or so. Not many others do anymore either. Perhaps something for CLink folks (or their consignors that aren't getting top dollar for their lots) to consider.

Getting back to this auction, the bid history shows us that only three bidders were above the $3k line. And only two above $3,250. That looks a lot like my guesstimate $3500 top (with losing bidder #2, not me, cheaping out at $3,250) with two more guys putting in I will top all bidders with my snipe monster bid in at $6k and ??? (we don't know the winner's "top", only the underbidder's!) When two people do that (I will top all bidders...) you can get a really crazy number. In other words, there's about $3k of (hot?) air under this item if it relists anywhere anytime soon! I'm not sure that holders of second run pages, with or without Lockheed ( lol ), should start counting their million$...just yet ;)

24 minutes ago, vodou said:

I will top all bidders with my snipe monster bid

One of the side-effects of a sniping/timed auction. It may not happen with the frequency of a gotta-win-gotta-win bid battle with a hammer system, but when it does happen, like you said, crazy numbers.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

That's how I found it. I definitely do not scour eBay daily like I used from 1997 to 2012 or so. Not many others do anymore either. Perhaps something for CLink folks (or their consignors that aren't getting top dollar for their lots) to consider.

Getting back to this auction, the bid history shows us that only three bidders were above the $3k line. And only two above $3,250. That looks a lot like my guesstimate $3500 top (with losing bidder #2, not me, cheaping out at $3,250) with two more guys putting in I will top all bidders with my snipe monster bid in at $6k and ??? (we don't know the winner's "top", only the underbidder's!) When two people do that (I will top all bidders...) you can get a really crazy number. In other words, there's about $3k of (hot?) air under this item if it relists anywhere anytime soon! I'm not sure that holders of second run pages, with or without Lockheed ( lol ), should start counting their million$...just yet ;)

I found the auction thru CAF and their Premium Service. Which allows you get daily emails of artwork appearing in CAF, auctions and dealer site. Its all based on keywords you put in. One of the Premium Services that pays for itself. I have bought a number of pieces found thru the daily emails.

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

One of the side-effects of a sniping/timed auction. It may not happen with the frequency of a gotta-win-gotta-win bid battle with a hammer system, but when it does happen, like you said, crazy numbers.

These various outcomes analyzed from a psychological perspective are perma-fascinating. As long as you aren't one of the test subjects!