• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Web of Spider-Man #1 Cover
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I recently received a copy of Web of Spider-Man #1 from a friend, and it is in great condition except for what looks like a sun shadow on the cover. It looks like it sat on a shelf partially covered, so that the left side and bottom were exposed and had their colors affected. Then I started looking at some of the scans of others for sale online and they seem to have the same issue. Here's a CGC 9.8 with the same "sun shadow" pointed out:

image%5D

So was this something that happened at printing? There's no way that so many copies could have this issue as a coincidence, and there has to be a reason that CGC would grade it as a 9.8 with it present, but I can't find any information about it. And are there copies without it?

Grab a raw copy and tell me what's printed on the inside front cover...better yet, take a picture.

I have a sneaking suspicion. I just encountered this same exact thing on a couple of copies, and rejected them for a 9.8 pre-screen because of it...

hm

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Grab a raw copy and tell me what's printed on the inside front cover...better yet, take a picture.

I have a sneaking suspicion. I just encountered this same exact thing on a couple of copies, and rejected them for a 9.8 pre-screen because of it...

hm

So the Cloak and Dagger ad is causing it? I can check my raw copy when I get home, but it looks like it lines up with the picture @Get Marwood & I posted. 

7 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

So the Cloak and Dagger ad is causing it? 

Not that it's causing it, per se, but I suspect what is happening is that the paper...now 34 years old...is simply starting to age. The paper underneath the C&D ad is protected, while the white strips are exposed, and, as with happens with all of these books, oxidation has simply set in. We're starting to see this all throughout 80s and 90s books...for example, Wonder Woman #72, the statue cover, is getting harder and harder to find with pure white covers. And, several of the white back covers of the early 90s are starting to seriously show the inside ads bleeding through...and CGC IS downgrading for that.

As I said, I rejected a couple of these last year that had the same issue, and I probably shouldn't have.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not that it's causing it, per se, but I suspect what is happening is that the paper...now 34 years old...is simply starting to age. The paper underneath the C&D ad is protected, while the white strips are exposed, and, as with happens with all of these books, oxidation has simply set in. We're starting to see this all throughout 80s and 90s books...for example, Wonder Woman #72, the statue cover, is getting harder and harder to find with pure white covers. And, several of the white back covers of the early 90s are starting to seriously show the inside ads bleeding through...and CGC IS downgrading for that.

As I said, I rejected a couple of these last year that had the same issue, and I probably shouldn't have.

I guess the interior paper is not acid-free, so it affects the cover stock. But the ink provides some protection. Since this would be the case on all books (that didn't have some sort of acid-free protection added between the cover and interior pages) I wonder if CGC would recognize that as an unavoidable universal issue that they wouldn't discount for. Makes me additionally wonder whether they would agree to slab book WITH some protective acid-free sheet inserted. I know they generally don't slab anything with the book, but this would preserve the book at the assigned grade.

23 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I guess the interior paper is not acid-free, so it affects the cover stock. But the ink provides some protection. Since this would be the case on all books (that didn't have some sort of acid-free protection added between the cover and interior pages) I wonder if CGC would recognize that as an unavoidable universal issue that they wouldn't discount for. Makes me additionally wonder whether they would agree to slab book WITH some protective acid-free sheet inserted. I know they generally don't slab anything with the book, but this would preserve the book at the assigned grade.

Wow, you have a lot to learn. Frankly, I am shocked that you don't have a clue.

22 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't know that it's acid leeching from the interior newsprint, or acid leeching from the cover stock itself, but it's definitely something happening to the exposed white strips on the side and bottom. 

My big fear is that, because the paper stock on 1992-1994 mainstream books was so hideous, they may deteriorate at a much faster rate than the standard newsprint before them, or the "deluxe" after them. That paper, barring some of the Charlton stuff, has to have been the very worst stock that mainstream comics have ever been printed on.

:eek:

1 hour ago, divad said:

Wow, you have a lot to learn. Frankly, I am shocked that you don't have a clue.

Not sure if you realize, but for an insult to be effective, the insultee needs to care about the opinion of the insulter, and I value your opinion somewhat less than a well-read, unbagged copy of Turok #1.

We do, however, all have a lot to learn. You, for instance, need to learn how to grade correctly.

6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Makes me additionally wonder whether they would agree to slab book WITH some protective acid-free sheet inserted.

Um... MicroChamber paper? Ring a bell?

There are so many posts on this board discussing the effect of newsprint to cover stock that you really need to read up on before disclosing your freakin' (excuse me) ignorance. Carry on GAMP. Freakin' think they know it all newbs kill me. Change your diapers. :sumo:

Uh, no offense . . . :shy:

Edited by divad

Interesting conversation... but aging process aside... can I just say that Web #1 was one of my fave spidey stories growing up!  Loved how he didn't have control of his actions and was fighting the symbiote all across NY.  But with that said... carry on with the aging process discussion  :)