• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Thief Caught!
2 2

81 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Diamonddave said:

Could Worldwide put this POS' mugshot shot up at their booth as a deterrent to other would be theives?

Upon conviction maaaaaaaaaaaybe... and even that would depend on the state the con was held in. 

Word spread pretty fast between dealers once Worldwide discovered their books were stolen.  I was talking to Sharon (Worldwide Comics) when the police were there.  She said that they noticed the guy looking suspicious so they captured a few pictures of him with their security cameras. When he came back, Sharon's mom who was stationed surreptitiously in a chair some 20 feet out in the main isle saw him take some books and walk away. It all went downhill for the thief from there.

Kudos to mom!

1 hour ago, Iceman399 said:

His MO was to steal a whack from a vendor and bring them back to his daughter, they would then peel stickers off and sell some of the books back to other vendors.

I don't think this is what they meant for "take your daughter to work"...

Besides outing the guy (from what I've read, he admitted to ripping comics off and re-selling them. Legal question: does this mean one has to keep using the word "alleged?"), what a drag from every angle this is. 

10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

What happens to the books they evidently sold to unsuspecting dealers?

If located they must be returned.

3 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Basically there was about a half dozen dealers.  Worldwide is the reason he was caught, he texted a number of us his photo.  Jim saw him walking the floor and followed him while another member got Stephen.  His MO was to steal a whack from a vendor and bring them back to his daughter, they would then peel stickers off and sell some of the books back to other vendors.  When he was caught his backpack was stuffed with about a 3/4 of a short box, all books taken were raw (that everyone knows of).  Vendors who he took from include but by no means limited to:
Dale, WorldWide, Kristina's, and a couple others that I don't know their booth name.

Real life superhero that “Guardian” guy....nice catch 

you two have a lot of good karma coming your way I hope

This garbage is ruining dealers desire to be at cons. They need more security provided by the hall they are renting from. Metal detectors, more police roaming the places, cameras everywhere etc. I feel bad for the dealers who have to worry about this all the time nowadays. 

5 minutes ago, jason4 said:

This garbage is ruining dealers desire to be at cons. They need more security provided by the hall they are renting from. Metal detectors, more police roaming the places, cameras everywhere etc. I feel bad for the dealers who have to worry about this all the time nowadays. 

Well I think now more than ever the value of security cameras and vigilance has revealed it's value as pretty much a necessity. 

I'll say it again-watch for people with head on a swivel to see if theyre being observed!!  Real buyers look at the books-thieves keep looking around.