• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC lost my books?
2 2

386 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, It'sOnlyRight said:

I know you're being sarcastic but that's alright. 

Maybe 1/2 sarcasm however you should compete in one, it's fun and some cool prizes to be had at the end...  I know you are getting razzed a little here but just shake it off.  Do hope the books turn up though, I know it sucks.

3 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Maybe 1/2 sarcasm however you should compete in one, it's fun and some cool prizes to be had at the end...  I know you are getting razzed a little here but just shake it off.  Do hope the books turn up though, I know it sucks.

Thanks buddy. Ill try it

So the answer to the original question of this thread is: Yes, as of now, CGC has lost the books, issued a check based on declared value and will continue to search and reserves the right to correct the record if said comics are found.

Did i miss anything?

The OP has every right to reject the check, feel angry and mistrustful of the service. I would, if this happened to me. I am sure most would as well.

I have not had any bad experiences so far with CGC and i support them but I can't believe this has only happened once. Where have others seeked advice/remedies?

I think valued information regarding shipping items has been garnered though which i will keep in mind.

I'm honestly surprised that this is the first time I've heard of this happening with the amount of packages that they must get weekly. I guess it's a good lesson about not under-insuring since all they have to go by is what is on the submission form if they are going to pay out on a lost package. 

23 minutes ago, It'sOnlyRight said:

I guess so. When I call they said they are working on last week's shipment. They are cutting me a check for the declared value which is ridiculous. If they find the package between now and by the time they cut me a check I will cancel the check and take my books back. 

I feel bad for your loss but honestly what else would you expect them to cut a check for? Declared value is all they have to go on. Hopefully you didn't under declare.

5 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I feel bad for your loss but honestly what else would you expect them to cut a check for? Declared value is all they have to go on. Hopefully you didn't under declare.

The lesson is always max out declare value. Especially for those who knows how to grade before sending their books in. If you put what you pay for as a declared value then you will get slaughter if your books are lost. They should raised the book value for modern books which are currently at $200 per book. It should be at least $500.

2 minutes ago, It'sOnlyRight said:
12 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

The lesson is always max out declare value. Especially for those who knows how to grade before sending their books in. If you put what you pay for as a declared value then you will get slaughter if your books are lost. They should raised the book value for modern books which are currently at $200 per book. It should be at least $500.

I agree completely.

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's fabulous. Allowing yourself to be influenced into believing there are such things as "controversial posters" is unwise. When you label others, you create (or increase) the impression that certain people are "fair game" for targeting. If someone went around saying "TwoPiece is a contentious poster, so take what he says with a grain of salt" would you appreciate being labeled like that...? 

There are no such things as "controversial posters." Nor are there "contentious posters." Nor are there "problem posters" There are simply posters, some of whom you get along with, some of whom you don't, some of whom you think are brilliant, some of whom you think are controversial. But that is merely your opinion, and regardless of how many other people share (or seem to share) your opinion, it is immoral to attempt to influence others to also have a negative opinion about someone just because you do, whether you're the newest of newbs, or you're (especially) a person in authority. 

You want to call out specific behavior? Go for it. But save the labels for your leftovers.

Dude, you're taking this way too seriously. I included the, "suck on those apples" to let you know I was joshing around...

13 minutes ago, I like pie said:

They just charge your ebay account/credit card the few times it's happened to me. I would assume they only reject if there's no way to collect.

True.  Well I would hope that they would charge you the difference but still honor the full insured value of the claim.

5 hours ago, greggy said:

I'm surprised that they allegedly offered him a settlement already considering the box that went missing for us had way more expensive books and it took a month to be delivered found. :sumo:

Right! Something doesn't sound exactly correct.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The problem with declared value...what has been the problem since Day 1...is that there is a built-in conflict, which is that the price for the same service goes up, based on the value of the item. But you don't really *know* the value of the item until it's been graded.

Say I submit a Amazing Spiderman #301 If I think it's a 9.4, that's got a market value of about $80.

But say I was overly harsh in my estimate of the grade, and it grades 9.8? Now that book...same book, same condition it was in (theoretically) before you sent it...now has a market value of $1250.

Miniscule difference in grade...massive difference in price.

Well, if something happens to it, and you declared a value of $200...you're screwed, unless CGC upcharges you (at their discretion, which happens.)

Now, reverse the scenario. Say you think it's a 9.8, and send it in under the Express tier, which is what you're *supposed* to do.

Say it grades 9.4.

You've just spent $80 to $100 to grade a $75 book. And CGC DOES NOT "downcharge." You don't get a refund. People don't want to pay more than they have to, but it opens them up to serious risk, in either scenario.

It's a real problem, that should eventually be addressed.

Agree 1000%. I always struggle with the declared values and the tiers, and I am reasonably savvy  lol at this grading stuff.

7 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Agree 1000%. I always struggle with the declared values and the tiers, and I am reasonably savvy  lol at this grading stuff.

When you do a 10 book submission and you use the value tier of $200, is that $200 per book or $200 for the whole set of 10 books?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

When you do a 10 book submission and you use the value tier of $200, is that $200 per book or $200 for the whole set of 10 books?

OK, this much I know! It is $200 per book.

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

OK, this much I know! It is $200 per book.

Thanks! I really appreciate the answer, I thought that was it :)

I usually submit through the LCS and am doing my first drop off at a con soon, so I need to fill out the form

:shy:

Thanks Again!