• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC lost my books?
2 2

386 posts in this topic

So I quit reading this thread after the first couple pages, to be honest.. To much drama going on, although I wondered what the consensus was on the amount of time it takes for submitted books to show up on your submissions to show up as received?

I’ve had delivery confirmation from the USPS on delivery of the books submitted a week ago, which still haven’t showed up in the system. Not worried yet, or accusing anything, but this is the longest I’ve ever seen a submission of mine go into received. 

Is CGC that overwhelmed at this time?

Edited by nepatkm

3 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

So I quit reading this thread after the first couple pages To much drama going on, although I wondered what the consensus was on the amount of time it takes for submitted books to show up on your submissions to show up as received?

I’ve had delivery confirmation from the USPS on delivery of the books submitted a week ago, which still haven’t showed up in the system. Not worried yet, or accusing anything, but this is the longest I’ve ever seen a submission of mine go into received. 

Is CGC that overwhelmed at this time?

I want to say the initial consensus was 1-2 weeks... At the time of this thread...

I submitted at a con last weekend, they showed up today..

So it still has me mystified...

I have a 5 book modern sub through the LCS and have no idea about it....

Gave it to the LCS on April 1st that's the gist...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I want to say the initial consensus was 1-2 weeks... At the time of this thread...

Thanks @ADAMANTIUM, My books were received last Friday around 2 pm, not worried yet, however with over 13 years of submitting books to CGC this is the longest (for myself) that I’ve ever seen books go to received. I lost a little bit of trust in the USPS recently (long story I won’t get into here) basically hoping items were delivered to the correct address. 

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Mine haven't shown yet.  But you subbed on Friday, right?

Just now, Crops068 said:

Was 2nd in line on Friday 1st day of the con. Cgc form says it's "first in first out" basis, as a bookkeeper myself, it's good to see them honoring there financial and business systerm...

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Was 2nd in line on Friday 1st day of the con. Cgc form says it's "first in first out" basis, as a bookkeeper myself, it's good to see them honoring there financial and business systerm...

Yeah, mine was like midday on Saturday.  So I have some time still.  I am honestly not worried though.  :)

You should definitely go check in with that LCS to see what is going on. 

3 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Thanks @ADAMANTIUM, My books were received last Friday around 2 pm, not worried yet, however with over 13 years of submitting books to CGC this is the longest (for myself) that I’ve ever seen books go to received. I lost a little bit of trust in the USPS recently (long story I won’t get into here) basically hoping items were delivered to the correct address. 

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Maybe crops can tell you how busy they were this past weekend...

They probably had a lot of books, nepatkm and I'd give it at least a week from today, were they moderns?

Mine was ab10 book pre 1975 value sub, but I don't think it matters what tier..

@ADAMANTIUM don’t you have a membership through CGC? 

I thought they used to give out free memberships to forumites of the year, but I may have just been thinking that?? Lol. 

Anyway why don’t you get a premium membership with all the books that you submit? You could submit directly with stats, a 10% discount on submissions, and a lot more benefits.. not to mention it comes with $150 dollar credit on your submissions. Basically for $149, it would pay for itself. 👍

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

Yeah, mine was like midday on Saturday.  So I have some time still.  I am honestly not worried though.  :)

You should definitely go check in with that LCS to see what is going on. 

It hasn't been 29 business days yet, I'll call the LCS next week, but I don't suspect they'll arrive for another 2 weeks...

Say he mailed them April 2nd, they got there April 5th, entered by that next Wednesday the 10th....

Then count 5 business days to add to the now estimated 29 days...

It's not time quite yet.

11 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Maybe crops can tell you how busy they were this past weekend...

They probably had a lot of books, nepatkm and I'd give it at least a week from today, were they moderns?

Mine was ab10 book pre 1975 value sub, but I don't think it matters what tier..

So to give you perspective I saw at least 1 guy with what looked like around 100 either crossover or reholder submissions.  The CGC booth was never without a wait to get at the very least started with submissions.  They were quite busy.

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

So to give you perspective I saw at least 1 guy with what looked like around 100 either crossover or reholder submissions.  The CGC booth was never without a wait to get at the very least started with submissions.  They were quite busy.

I waited maybe 2 minutes, as it was my "first time", I wanted to go early and quickly,  Brittany got me signed in. I was then next in lin3, had about enough time to get out my books and put them in order of the form and they texted me it was my turn in line...

I didn't visit much after that, I knew they'd have their hands full...

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I do have a "free membership", that only allows me to submit at a con at discount.

I don't know of the past, but sadly last year, only the "registry awards" got perks of paid membership and credit towards subs

I did get a cgc plaque that I'm happy about :shy:

20190509_194858.jpg

I don't know why subs auto corrected to geek's.... quickly edited and remedied ;)

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I waited maybe 2 minutes, as it was my "first time", I wanted to go early and quickly,  Brittany got me signed in. I was then next in lin3, had about enough time to get out my books and put them in order of the form and they texted me it was my turn in line...

I didn't visit much after that, I knew they'd have their hands full...

I only waited maybe 10 minutes when I was actually ready to do the submission for my SS stuff.  Otherwise I was able to get right in when I walked up.  But they always had a wait on the tablet.  I liked the process though, it flowed really well imo.  And I had Brittany help me as well.  Not a great enough term for her in the English language.

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I do have a "free membership", that only allows me to submit at a con at discount.

I don't know of the past, but sadly last year, only the "registry awards" got perks of paid membership and credit towards subs

I did get a cgc plaque that I'm happy about :shy:

20190509_194858.jpg

Holy cats, I've been here for 10 years and I always assumed the "Best Forumite" thing was just something the boardies made up. CGC actually sent you a plaque! That's too cool! I have a few "Top of Registry" certificates, I'm always surprised when they show up. It's pretty cool of CGC to engage with board members like that. When does the voting or whatever go in for 2019? We need to get you another one, you know, for bookends! 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Holy cats, I've been here for 10 years and I always assumed the "Best Forumite" thing was just something the boardies made up. CGC actually sent you a plaque! That's too cool! I have a few "Top of Registry" certificates, I'm always surprised when they show up. It's pretty cool of CGC to engage with board members like that. When does the voting or whatever go in for 2019? We need to get you another one, you know, for bookends! 

Lol :foryou:

The year ends for this year's awards on June 14th

But lol i believe that only administrators get a say on who gets what though... :shy:

9 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I have two plaques.  I never thought of the bookend idea.  hm

For giving you the bookend idea, I'd like to nominate myself for a Forumite of the Year award. Two if possible. You know, for bookends.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:32 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

SO if it doesn't come back a 9.9 will you refund the cost and grading fee?

On 10/9/2019 at 9:30 PM, Jasten said:

Mine is headed for grading as well. Went just for Ramos. He did it in red sharpie, kind of caught me off-guard. Wish i would have taken a pic before i submitted so i could put my kind at ease that it looked good!

On 10/10/2019 at 9:27 AM, Jasten said:

Did you have it pressed? I'm new to SS and I opted for a reg press on it. I think this may have been a mistake as the book was pretty damn solid. Hopefully pressing doesn't cause it to go down in grade. I suppose I could have gotten more signatures, but for me, the cover is super special as it brings together two of the biggest creative influences in my life (Marvel and Disney). I think Ramos captured bringing the two together so beautifully. I also window bagged and liked the placement, just dwelling on the color. I think in the end I will love it. I think if I was going to go to town on signatures, I would do it on another copy of Marvel 1000 or do the back as you mentioned. 

On 2/27/2012 at 11:27 PM, mschmidt said:

I've used the toploaders as well, but I'm always worried that the edges of the toploader (because the plastic is so thick) will end up cutting into the book.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:55 PM, Tony S said:

Well - as I mentioned earlier the maximum compensation if the books have been lost by CGC from CGC is going to be the lower of declared value or Fair Market Value. With FMV determined by CGC. 

Would it be more acceptable to you if CGC just cut you a check in that amount instead of a credit to your account? If so - then politely state  you want their offer in cash, not credit. If the issue is the AMOUNT, then there is no reason to waste your time and emotional energy being pissed. Because the absolute, top dollar settlement you can possibly get from CGC is what you declared the FMV of the books to be.

I submit a lot of books to CGC so a credit to my account is in fact as good as a check. I'll end up spending the $$ next week.  If you don't submit often - or you never intend to submit again - I certainly understand.  Just ask for a check and see what they say. But if the amount CGC offered upsets you, then your unfortunate situation represents the risk of sending in books at a declared FMV that is less than what they are likely worth. This is NOT a criticism directed towards you by me. We all do it. I would maintain CGC even encourages it. When CGC announced that the modern tier was rolled back to 1975 (thank you Voldy) that announcement was accompanied by a picture of GS X-Men 1 CGC 9.6.  Last i checked, GSX 1 in 9.6 is worth many multiples of $200.  If your send  GSX 1, or your NM 98, or you NYX 3  or Ms Marvel 1  in as a modern with a FMV of $200,  CGC probably grades it and sends it back. They don't ask for more $$ in grading fees. But those books are only  insured for what you declared ($200 or less if sent in as a modern tier submission)  If anything happens to the book or the package somewhere along the way, that's the amount declared and the maximum compensation coming. From CGC or USPS.  And if your books were in fact worth a lot more than declared FMV, neither does CGC have any reason or incentive to go secure replacement copies. Check or credit is both fair and costs them less. 

Now im curious, what about in the case of inhouse signings. I am curious partially with what CGC would do, and if the packages are lost in the return shipping. I will use my current order as an example. I sent in 6 books, 2 were combined declared value of 450. The other 4, combined declared value of 950. But, once the signatures were added, i feel that the value has now significantly increased. The package is being tracked, but with the post office being the way it is right now, i am a bit concerned it may get lost or stolen. Does CGC insure the package for the declared value? Since the value has now increased because they have been signed, would CGC make up the difference if i have to file a claim? In the future, should I bump the declared value to include the increase from the signature?