How much risk is too much?
0

21 posts in this topic

1,468 posts

I was recently faced with the decision to buy a, if the grade was as advertised, $1600 book for $700...but the catch is I only had one crappy picture to go off of (could not assess grade)... It was from a seemingly reputable brick & mortar shop with a very small online offering. I literally only got one hit when searching for them on the boards, but it was positive...nothing about their grading accuracy though.

It's a hot book so I'm fairly certain they just hadn't updated their pricing in awhile, but if it dropped even one point I'd be in the FMV range vs a home-run (this was pivotal to my decision).

I toiled whether to ask for more pics or just pull the trigger to avoid tipping my hand. I ultimately decided to ask for more pics and of course...."it sold yesterday and the website just hasn't been updated yet". AKA, "we price checked when you asked for pics and don't have the balls to own up to it".

I've been faced with this decision before...weighing all the variables sometimes I feel it's worth the risk, sometimes I don't... There isn't a standard formula to apply.

So my question to the forum is, do you ever take similar risks? Any words of wisdom? Historical results? Regrets that haunt you? I suspect most will say to absolutely NOT buy a book online without having sufficient pictures to make an informed decision, but...let's hear it.

PS: Dealers are welcome to talk about the struggle of buyers pouching their websites. I'm sure it's quite the burden to keep inventory updated with relevant pricing given how volatile the market is... How do you do it? Straight manpower, or are there software applications available to automatically adjust your inventory's pricing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,847 posts
Posted (edited)

Sounds to me that you would’ve gotten the same answer even if you said :takeit: with no extra pics. 2c

Edited by Jayman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,894 posts
8 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Sounds to me that you would’ve gotten the same answer even if you said :takeit: with no extra pics. 2c

Yes dont beat yourself up about that.  Probably brick and mortar dont constantly check inventory value for upper echelon books but if one is asked about then they will check. If it was a buy it now type deal then they could get a bad rep for changing prices after offer has been accepted (offer plus acceptance equals contract).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
963 posts
24 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I was recently faced with the decision to buy a, if the grade was as advertised, $1600 book for $700...but the catch is I only had one crappy picture to go off of (could not assess grade)... It was from a seemingly reputable brick & mortar shop with a very small online offering. I literally only got one hit when searching for them on the boards, but it was positive...nothing about their grading accuracy though.

It's a hot book so I'm fairly certain they just hadn't updated their pricing in awhile, but if it dropped even one point I'd be in the FMV range vs a home-run (this was pivotal to my decision).

I toiled whether to ask for more pics or just pull the trigger to avoid tipping my hand. I ultimately decided to ask for more pics and of course...."it sold yesterday and the website just hasn't been updated yet". AKA, "we price checked when you asked for pics and don't have the balls to own up to it".

I've been faced with this decision before...weighing all the variables sometimes I feel it's worth the risk, sometimes I don't... There isn't a standard formula to apply.

So my question to the forum is, do you ever take similar risks? Any words of wisdom? Historical results? Regrets that haunt you? I suspect most will say to absolutely NOT buy a book online without having sufficient pictures to make an informed decision, but...let's hear it.

PS: Dealers are welcome to talk about the struggle of buyers pouching their websites. I'm sure it's quite the burden to keep inventory updated with relevant pricing given how volatile the market is... How do you do it? Straight manpower, or are there software applications available to automatically adjust your inventory's pricing?

Don't feel bad! We've all had similar stories

B&M stores are tough once you show some interest

:tink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,847 posts
3 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes dont beat yourself up about that.  Probably brick and mortar dont constantly check inventory value for upper echelon books but if one is asked about then they will check. If it was a buy it now type deal then they could get a bad rep for changing prices after offer has been accepted (offer plus acceptance equals contract).

Which could very easily be deflected with the ...."it sold yesterday and the website just hasn't been updated yet" excuse and no one is the wiser. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,817 posts
17 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Sounds to me that you would’ve gotten the same answer even if you said :takeit: with no extra pics. 2c

I think this is as likely the case as not, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,894 posts
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Which could very easily be deflected with the ...."it sold yesterday and the website just hasn't been updated yet" excuse and no one is the wiser. :(

they still have to sell it, now without putting on website tho but sure thats correct.  "Sold yesterday" that sets off warning bells.  "Sold months ago but we never updated" thats a bit more believable.  As it stands, I dont believe them and if I knew name of store they would go in my file.

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,894 posts

Say dam I would have paid $3000 for this book I've been looking for it and maybe watch em squirm lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,847 posts
5 minutes ago, kav said:

As it stands, I dont believe them and if I knew name of store they would go in my file.

I want to read that file! :sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,894 posts
6 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I want to read that file! :sumo:

You've heard things I'm sure---THINGS....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,847 posts
12 minutes ago, kav said:

You've heard things I'm sure---THINGS....

 

F3EC8411-2A13-4F5D-AD07-8A0A782AE8B8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,894 posts
2 minutes ago, Jayman said:

 

F3EC8411-2A13-4F5D-AD07-8A0A782AE8B8.jpeg

It's the stuff that'll getcha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,532 posts
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I was recently faced with the decision to buy a, if the grade was as advertised, $1600 book for $700...but the catch is I only had one crappy picture to go off of (could not assess grade)... It was from a seemingly reputable brick & mortar shop with a very small online offering. I literally only got one hit when searching for them on the boards, but it was positive...nothing about their grading accuracy though.

It's a hot book so I'm fairly certain they just hadn't updated their pricing in awhile, but if it dropped even one point I'd be in the FMV range vs a home-run (this was pivotal to my decision).

I toiled whether to ask for more pics or just pull the trigger to avoid tipping my hand. I ultimately decided to ask for more pics and of course...."it sold yesterday and the website just hasn't been updated yet". AKA, "we price checked when you asked for pics and don't have the balls to own up to it".

I've been faced with this decision before...weighing all the variables sometimes I feel it's worth the risk, sometimes I don't... There isn't a standard formula to apply.

So my question to the forum is, do you ever take similar risks? Any words of wisdom? Historical results? Regrets that haunt you? I suspect most will say to absolutely NOT buy a book online without having sufficient pictures to make an informed decision, but...let's hear it.

PS: Dealers are welcome to talk about the struggle of buyers pouching their websites. I'm sure it's quite the burden to keep inventory updated with relevant pricing given how volatile the market is... How do you do it? Straight manpower, or are there software applications available to automatically adjust your inventory's pricing?

IMO it depends on whether or not you can afford to take the risk.

I'm not a seller of comics, by any means, but I have facilitated a lot of collectible sales/trades over the years. Sometimes I have to take a "pass" at a good listing if my budget is tight. Keeping in mind if I can afford to keep it in my collection or sell at no financial appreciation.

Comics are much different than sealed decks of playing cards - certainly - but I think the same logic applies. I've always stuck to the "better safe than sorry" motto. I wouldn't dwell on this one. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Chris-mas.

Edited by TwoPiece
Corrected punctuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,468 posts
Posted (edited)

Not bitter or full of regret btw. There are plenty of other books and dealers out there. For all I know their grading is poopoo and it wasn’t even a deal to begin with... But still curious if others ever roll the dice and buy books without seeing pics, or sufficient pics. And I’m surprised the dealer question isn’t stealing the show. I’ve never seen that discussed, but have been curious for awhile...

Edited by Callaway29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,215 posts

What is their return policy?  If they said the book is a 8.0 (guess) and you buy the book and it comes to you in a 6.0 grade will you be able to return it quickly?  If they have a reasonable return policy then its a no brainer to buy the book and grade the book when it is in hand.  If the seller is selling a book that is $1,600 graded and they only want $700 then don't be too mad if the book has a one grade bump since why wouldn't they get the book graded (assuming the know about grading books).  They are leaving a ton of money on the table so the red flags have to be going off but if they take a return then what is the risk when you consider the reward if it comes back the grade advertised (or even higher after a press).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327 posts

.."it sold yesterday and the website just hasn't been updated yet".

For your safety we have issued a BROWN ALERT! This means that the Bull S#!@$ you were handed is at a high level and precautions should be taken. Please put on safety wear such as Hip waders, air filter masks and goggles should you encounter this again. In the meantime, please make sure your wallet and credit card info stays in a safe place. Monitor for further updates as warranted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
768 posts

Maybe it sold because it was a good price?

Assuming someone is crooked or can't grade because you missed out is not fair to the dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,683 posts
1 hour ago, D84 said:

Maybe it sold because it was a good price?

Assuming someone is crooked or can't grade because you missed out is not fair to the dealer.

Agreed. If it's a book that is recently hot, it's likely that OP isn't the only one looking for the book. Seems just as likely that someone else found the book, saw the same bargain you saw, and jumped on it. I see no reason to accuse anyone of BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,798 posts
Posted (edited)

This was many years ago and on ebay. Non comic seller (good feedback but none comic related) had 3-4 books up, auction but with high starting bids. One crappy pic per book. Anyway, one of the books was a Tales of Suspense 39 which he said was around a VF and the starting bid was somewhere around $2K. Again this was many, many years ago. I thought about it long and hard, the one pic looked like it could be VF but it could also easily have been a FN book. Chickened out and didn't bid. No one else did either and it went unsold. The rest of the books weren't big books, couple hundred a piece type stuff. Long story short, the guy submitted it to CGC and sold it a couple of months later... an 8.0 with White pages that went for over $4K at the time and would now be a $25K book :censored::frustrated::pullhair:

Edited by LordRahl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,894 posts
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

This was many years ago and on ebay. Non comic seller (good feedback but none comic related) had 3-4 books up, auction but with high starting bids. One crappy pic per book. Anyway, one of the books was a Tales of Suspense 39 which he said was around a VF and the starting bid was somewhere around $2K. Again this was many, many years ago. I thought about it long and hard, the one pic looked like it could be VF but it could also easily have been a FN book. Chickened out and didn't bid. No one else did either and it went unsold. The rest of the books weren't big books, couple hundred a piece type stuff. Long story short, the guy submitted it to CGC and sold it a couple of months later... an 8.0 with White pages that went for over $4K at the time and would now be a $25K book :censored::frustrated::pullhair:

Hey i passed on $35 OA pages and covers by Kirby, Starlin, Steranko, Smith and Adams back in the day.

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0