• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANyone looking for TOS 57 CUrator copy?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

downgraded because of the overspray?

looks  9.6 ish

no BC scan

Hard to know for sure without looking up the notes & seeing a back cover scan.

But - yes, that overspray should be a ding on the grade. Top left and bottom left corners look to have a tiny bit of wear.

Beautiful copy though. White pages, brilliant clean cover & pedigree!? You know it'll do very well in the auction.

This book is back up on Comiclink now as a 9.6 -- I don't think the rust-colored stuff at the top of the book was overspray...someone had it cleaned (you can still see the light residue in the upper right-hand corner) and resubmitted it.

4 hours ago, Drummy said:

This book is back up on Comiclink now as a 9.6 -- I don't think the rust-colored stuff at the top of the book was overspray...someone had it cleaned (you can still see the light residue in the upper right-hand corner) and resubmitted it.

Are you sure it is the same copy?  Doesn't look like the curator

It's the same copy, you can tell it was cleaned and pressed. Still see the some of the dirt/overspray/whatever is still left behind as Dan mentioned. Both scans have the same slight Miswrap. Same book

9 hours ago, blazingbob said:

How many ToS57 Curator copies are out there?  Because this copy clearly states "Curator" on label.

Does anyone know who performed the CPR? 

Presumably whoever bought it originally as a 9.2 for a huge price in the May auction...they must have known it could be restored (cover cleaned, anyway) without getting a purple label.  But I have no sense of who that is.

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

This is the one, Bob.  It's the Curator copy, but with the vast majority of the distributor spray removed, and the bottom right corner ding pressed out.  The removal of the overspray must have involved some state-of-the-CPR-art process to be so effective yet maintain a blue label.  And I'd bet it's not the first example.

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DTales%2Bof%2BSuspense%2B57%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1330337&id=1330337&itemType=0

I wonder how much it costs to remove the distribution ink?  Another revenue stream for CCS.  Not hatin' at all.  I'm sure it is above and beyond regular services.

The book is beautiful, BTW.   

10 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

I wonder how much it costs to remove the distribution ink?  Another revenue stream for CCS.  Not hatin' at all.  I'm sure it is above and beyond regular services.

I would also question whether the ink can be removed effectively from anything other than a white background.  I don't think it's a coincidence that the area where the ink is still most visible is right where the comics code stamp is.

14 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

I bet it's not the work of CCS.

3 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

If not CCS, someone had a lot of stones to remove that from such an esteemed ped book. 

The best in the potentialization biz work on the biggest books.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:08 AM, blazingbob said:

Agree. Look at the staple place

17 hours ago, namisgr said:

This is the one, Bob.  It's the Curator copy, but with the vast majority of the distributor spray removed, and the bottom right corner ding pressed out.  The removal of the overspray must have involved some state-of-the-CPR-art process to be so effective yet maintain a blue label.  And I'd bet it's not the first example.

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DTales%2Bof%2BSuspense%2B57%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1330337&id=1330337&itemType=0

So this book was represses to the point that the staple placement was altered and the centering is off? Pressing will move the staples without any popping? The only time I've seen that is where the staples are removed and the cover is altered.

Doesn't pass the smell test.

Edited by bronze johnny

8 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Agree. Look at the staple place

So this book was represses to the point that the staple placement was altered and the centering is off? Pressing will move the staples without any popping? The only time I've seen that is where the staples are removed and the cover is altered.

No.  You're confusing another 9.6 copy with the Curator copy.

RAD93BF82019220_155147.jpg  RAD2C47F201973_162527.jpg

Edited by namisgr

Just now, namisgr said:

No.

RAD93BF82019220_155147.jpg  RAD2C47F201973_162527.jpg

Was referring to the other 9.6 that Bob was looking at- now that I see the Curator, my question is was it overspray that was removed?