• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Logo Fonts That Take You Back...

22 posts in this topic

So, whenever I see a logo font (not sure if that's the right word, but you get my meaning) from the time I first started collecting...1989-1990...it fills me with all sorts of nostalgia.

When they did the Action and Detective 1000 throwback logos, I was instantly transported back 30 years, to an era of magic and wonder.

My "classics":

Batman404.jpg&f=1

batman-428.jpg&f=1

1705254-detective_comics__1937___578.jpe

latest?cb=20080521065623

500px-New_Mutants_Vol_1_87.jpg

background.jpg&f=1

620829.jpg&f=1

When I first got into comics back in 1982, one of my first spots that I purchased books was where I would catch the school bus. It was a gas station/ convenience store that had a spinner rack loaded with a variety of books.  It was the logo that stood out on these racks as it was most visible portion of the comic (obviously lol) and every time I went in I would scan that spinner looking for the GI Joe logo and my heart would pound whenever I would spot a new issue. :cloud9:

When I first started reading comics in the mid-70s, some of the DC logos impressed me, especially Action Comics...

800189.jpg

Also, only a few years later I started reading reprints of EC Comics; still my all-time favourite publisher...

587331.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

X-Men 50 and Avengers 96 should be recognized more as time goes on.  Classic logo designs that have become the definitive version for their respected books.

I have always thought that the new X-Men logo that was introduced in #50 was a little bit of a take off of the Atom's logo. Then the X-Men logo underwent a very subtle change between #59 and #60. 

atom logo.jpg

x-men 59 logo.jpg

x-men 60 logo.jpg

When they changed the Fantastic Four logo from the classic version to the next version-- I always wondered why they did that. Those classic letters from issue # 1 should have never been changed-- they were iconic. I believer they eventually brought them back-- a smart move -- but my first impression of the magazine (around issue 161) was that less attractive (imo) version.

These are the ones that tend to do it for me. It's not just the title logo either, it's the various mastheads and other cover graphics that also bring the nostalgia

logo.jpg

Edited by Jeffro.

Definitely feeling RMA's Bat-picks, and the Joe logo as well. Here are some others that were crucial to me coming up.

losh.jpg

sandy.jpg

jli.jpg

swampy.jpg

The font that takes me back is actually not from a comic, but the 60's TV show:

Image result for spiderman 1960s cartoon logo

There's something about it.

A similar logo / font was used for the UK Spider-Man Comics Weekly reprints which also take me back:

2120498965_SMCW44.thumb.JPG.560064906f15f089acc168247a12ac35.JPG

679389.jpg

Surprising that I forgot the DC 100 Page banner while reminiscing about my 70s childhood.  Loved these books.

Edited by Ken Aldred