• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC ‘s. 80th Anniversary Celebrations

23 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

DC celebrated Superman last year.

Right. it just seems that there’s a lot more buzz and events around this years 80th. I’ll be curious to see the sales numbers compared to Action 1000 last year 

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Right. it just seems that there’s a lot more buzz and events around this years 80th. I’ll be curious to see the sales numbers compared to Action 1000 last year 

I didn’t follow what DC did for Superman very closely last year but if hype is bigger this time around, I suppose it makes sense. Batman is the more popular of the two characters.

49 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I didn’t follow what DC did for Superman very closely last year but if hype is bigger this time around, I suppose it makes sense. Batman is the more popular of the two characters.

Agreed, but DC can always hype Supe as the first superhero. I would like to see more hype from Marvel regarding the 80th anniversary of Marvel Comics 1. 

8 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Last year, DC produced a poster with covers to Action 1-1000.  Unfortunately, Detective Comics 1-1000 will not be featured on a poster.  There will at least 80 variant Detective 1000 covers.

503048218_Action1-1000.jpg.3e403a8ea362908422e5ecfcc13b2b22.jpg

Cool poster 

9 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Last year, DC produced a poster with covers to Action 1-1000.  Unfortunately, Detective Comics 1-1000 will not be featured on a poster.  There will at least 80 variant Detective 1000 covers.

Needs little boxes to check off which ones you have, so you can collect them all. 

58 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Whiz 2 has a publication date of Feb 1940 but I hear 1939 thrown out some times. Is that because it was in the newsstand around the end of the year maybe ( Dec )  ??

I believe that is correct.  I checked Mike's Amazing World and it shows an approximate on sale date of 12-1-1939 with a cover date of February, 1940.

5 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Whiz 2 has a publication date of Feb 1940 but I hear 1939 thrown out some times. Is that because it was in the newsstand around the end of the year maybe ( Dec )  ??

Correct same timeline as Tec 35, Adventure 46, and Marvel Mystery 4 to name a few “newsstand time” Dec 1939 books. 

16 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Looks like the Gerber Photo journal spread out on one gigantic poster :)

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

80 variant covers for Detective 1000?  

What a sad and blatant rip-off and F-U to the collectors of that title.

Here is a link to the variants.  Some are really expensive at much more than the regular $9.99 price. For example, Neal Adams variants signed by him and graded at 9.8 are priced at $350.

Detective Comics 1000 variant covers.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:43 PM, Primetime said:

Agreed, but DC can always hype Supe as the first superhero. I would like to see more hype from Marvel regarding the 80th anniversary of Marvel Comics 1. 

Probably won’t happen. Isn’t Marvel owned by Disney? Everybody knows how they feel about comic books. They probably only publish them to support the movies at this point. Marvel has really slid in the past few years. I’mvsure They could care less about the history of the company now that they are in charge.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Probably won’t happen. Isn’t Marvel owned by Disney? Everybody knows how they feel about comic books. They probably only publish them to support the movies at this point. Marvel has really slid in the past few years. I’mvsure They could care less about the history of the company now that they are in charge.

Agreed and that is my sad point. The modern fan only knows 1961 to current regarding “marvel”. If only Subby would someday submerge from his murky film rights to Disney :wishluck: