• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my "Manitoba" comic collection pedigree

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Probably very common question on here now but I'm new to collecting comics so would really appreciate a simple answer to my question.

I own a Manitoba collection Marvel two-in-one The Thing #81 graded 9.4 with signed certificate, in sealed packaging and  I would very much like to know if this is genuine and seen as officially graded by CGC?

1064808143_TheThing81.jpg.0b0dcd12b64eb14e87529fb908e626d8.jpg

Sorry not a super pic.

thanks 

CGC does not recognize this collection as pedigree, based on responses from 2005 seen here

It is an actual collection from which books were sold from but if you were to have it graded by CGC, they would not put that on the label and would grade based on what their graders determine, not the fact that you have a certificate showing it as a 9.4

Ahh okay I thought that might be the case. What do I do with 9 of same collection i.e. 9 x The Thing - marvels two in one?? Are they worthless too?? All different issues from #58 - #100 not consecutive.

Scan_20190324 (17).jpg

Well as with any comics, the grade plays a factor in the price, and there will be SOME higher interest because of the 'collection' status, if you have the documentation.  You could be looking at a 200-300% markup on your realizeable price, but that might only be because they're only worth a quarter to a dollar each to begin with.

Find a price you're willing to sell at, and post them all together on ebay with pictures of the certificates.   Or just keep them.  Honestly you might just get more value out of donating them to charity at $2-3 per and getting the deduction.  You can look on ebay to see how much similar Manitoba comics sell for, note that grade and title do matter.

Even with the "certificate" and coming from that collection, the issues are not valuable issues. So as revat said, you may get a bit more but it could be tough. Its just not a series that a lot of people are paying more than $1-2 an issue for, even in very nice shape. They made a lot and a lot of stores have these issues available and sitting for people to buy. 

It's my understanding the Manitoba Collection were comics purchased from Doug Sulipa's Comic World back in the day when he still had a retail store. There was an individual that would come by each and every day Doug got his comics delivered, and he would spend several hours going through the shipment picking nothing but the best insofar as condition goes, take them home and bag and board them.

In case your interested.

The certificate would have been one that Doug Sulipa would have filled out himself. He does have a reputation for being an excellent grader as I have many times heard that some of the grades he's given his comics were actually under graded when purchasers sent in the comics to be graded by CGC. So, just because the certificates reads 9.4...it very well could be a higher grade.

20 hours ago, ninanina said:

The certificate would have been one that Doug Sulipa would have filled out himself. He does have a reputation for being an excellent grader as I have many times heard that some of the grades he's given his comics were actually under graded when purchasers sent in the comics to be graded by CGC. So, just because the certificates reads 9.4...it very well could be a higher grade.

I've ordered many books from Doug, and I concur that his grading is impeccable if occasionally a little TOO conservative. Great dealer. If he was the one who determined the grade on the Manitoba books (and his is the website that they seem to originate from exclusively) I'd take it as gospel.