• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printing/Manufacturing Error Labels!

2 posts in this topic

hey everyone. I just resubmitted my venom Lethal Protector #1 to cgc because it has a pretty substantial error on the front cover. My question is, what differentiates my book from getting a standard blue label, or a qualified green label? They initially graded my comic a standard blue 9.8 (stating there was no error). After I sent them pictures, they determined there was an error and requested I send it back to be properly graded. I really do not want a green labeled 9.8. Does anyone know why manufacturing error books can be either blue or green?

thanks in advance for any help on the topic. 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, A.J. Diesel said:

hey everyone. I just resubmitted my venom Lethal Protector #1 to cgc because it has a pretty substantial error on the front cover. My question is, what differentiates my book from getting a standard blue label, or a qualified green label? They initially graded my comic a standard blue 9.8 (stating there was no error). After I sent them pictures, they determined there was an error and requested I send it back to be properly graded. I really do not want a green labeled 9.8. Does anyone know why manufacturing error books can be either blue or green?

thanks in advance for any help on the topic. 

First, let me say that I think CGC and CCS both do an OUTSTANDING job of dealing with books with all kinds of different issues, not just manufacturing issues. I'm honored to have dealt with them numerous times, and I know how hard they work to make things right. Without a doubt, they are the best in the business.  (worship)

But to answer your question, I took the liberty of looking up some past auctions for books with manufacturing errors. The books were from each era of CGC's history---the old label, the standard label and the new (current) label. There were some very interesting results. Concerning books where the manufacturing errors were the result of missing cover ink (such as the cover manufactured with no black ink) the results were very consistent. Those books always received a green label. They also had the correct text comment (all in capitals) which is consistent with a Green label book. They also had the bold "Manufacturing Error" notation on the label as well, which is nice to have because it's nearly impossible to overlook. 

There were also books with interior manufacturing issues, such as pages printed out of order and pages printed upside-down, as well as books printed with completely different interiors. Some of those books were given a Green label, but some retained the Blue Universal label. Example: Blue Beetle #49 Blue Universal label 7.0 (and not the old label or the new label, what I like to call the mid-term label) "Manufactured with interior inserted twice." Then there's this example: Weird Science #15 (#4) Blue Universal old label 9.2. "Manufactured with moderate sized piece out of margin of 14th page." And this one stands out in the crowd: Famous Monsters Yearbook (1962) Blue Universal mid-term label 9.2 (All capital letters indicate it should have been a Qualified label): "Manufactured with pages 1-16 inserted twice and pages 17-32 missing, affects text. INCOMPLETE." I'm thinking this one may have slipped through the system. Furthermore, there was also a copy of ASM #1 in Blue Universal new label 5.5. It states "Manufactured with blank interior covers" in lower case letters with "Manufacturing Error" in bold type on the label. I like the new direction---it looks organized and doesn't detract from the desirability of the book. 

Regarding your book, I would say that yes, you're very likely to receive a Qualified label if it has a manufacturing error on the front cover. But as we say at my current place of employment: "The only thing that's consistent is our inconsistency..."