• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 1000 - 80 different variant covers!?!
1 1

107 posts in this topic

I stopped buying new comic books decades ago when I thought the publishers were gouging customers with too many mini-series, spin-off series, event cross-overs, etc.  It got to the point that the characters for which I was collecting as a completest were appearing too much, and many of those appearances were a lousy product. 

How can anyone collect Detective Comics and not feel that they are being reamed by 80 variant covers?

This is the opposite of what I view as the way to "celebrate" a character and its fans.  It sure seems like a poke in the eye to me.

Now, get off my lawn!

I feel halfway bad for the completest that has to have all the variants but that is on them. 

There are plenty of cool covers and for the 1000th issue, I am fine with seeing a jillion variants.

Issue 947 having 16 variants is a bit irritating but it is what it is.

Edited by Park

The Alex Ross one was my favorite but I didn't get it direct at his site soon enough and now it's expensive on ebay. Unless it sold out quickly on his site. I don't know. I didn't see any topic for the various covers here.

I never was one to get all the covers unless the covers were good and cheap. There are only a few titles which I have all the variants. The title with the most that I own is still probably the Jim Lee X-Men #1.

8 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

How many pages is it? I saw a pic and they looked square bound and thick but it was on Becky Cloonans Instagram so it could have been some issue 1000 related swag

96 pages, so thicker than Action 1000 (at 80), but it's also $2 more retail ($9.99 vs $7.99, unless it's a store variant where they're charging $20-$30 or more a pop right out of the gate).

I bought two copies of the Ross cover directly from his site. Completists who think they need all 80 might want to reconsider their collecting habits. It’s up to them to react to this kind of thing. But maybe they find the chase fun?

I can understand the editorial dilemma of paying homage to iconic covers, changing art styles, famed runs by an artist, all the important characters, the immense history, the cultural import. You can’t do that for a title like this one on a single cover.

24 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I can understand the editorial dilemma of paying homage to iconic covers, changing art styles, famed runs by an artist, all the important characters, the immense history, the cultural import. You can’t do that for a title like this one on a single cover.

It's not an "editorial dilemma."  It is a marketing choice.  These are manufactured collectibles of the worst sort.