• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 1000 - 80 different variant covers!?!
1 1

107 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, jason4 said:

I thought this harley was pretty good. Debating as I said I would not buy modern variants ever again. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20190331-081528_Chrome.jpg

The whole variant thing never bothered me because I’m not a completist that has to have every variant. I like having options where some of my favorite artists have a shot at the cover. More art is always better than less art and I just buy my favorite variant. Sometimes two or three.  Detective 1000 shares a similarity with DKIII and that’s the fact that the variant covers are all much better than what’s inside. I found only one story worth being in the 1000th issue.

My worry is overpaying now and then the book drops after actual release. Happened to me before, I paid 150 out of fomo and then 2 weeks after release the variant I bought was selling for 50 bucks. I'm not doing that again. I think that will happen with a lot of these tec 1000's. That harley book is hard to get for under 100 now and you can barely find the trade dress without the virgin. 

On 4/2/2019 at 10:18 AM, jason4 said:

My worry is overpaying now and then the book drops after actual release. Happened to me before, I paid 150 out of fomo and then 2 weeks after release the variant I bought was selling for 50 bucks. I'm not doing that again. I think that will happen with a lot of these tec 1000's. That harley book is hard to get for under 100 now and you can barely find the trade dress without the virgin. 

The one book that won't drop much, if any, will be the Alex Ross Detective #27 homage cover. 
I've heard/read there were 1,000 or fewer copies printed.  This was in an interview with him.

We’ll see. I’m not sure the appeal of variants will survive much longer. Two reasons, one is variants jumping the shark, exactly like this 80 variants for Tec 1000. The other is we can look at these images for free any time we like online. All 80 of them. Back when the variant craze started the internet wasn’t really a thing. You couldn’t right-click-save a variant cover and make it your phone’s wallpaper or print it on a mug if you wanted.

also, hopefully sooner or later people will realize a comic isn’t “rare” when half a million copies are sold just because the cover is different 

I have been interested in variant covers as my awareness of comic collecting increases. Reading this thread has only increased my interest.

As at August 2019, according to my research, the Top 10 comics with multiple numbers of different/variant covers is shown below.

10: US Avengers #1 (2017), 64 variant covers

9: Harley Quinn #1 (2016), 79 variant covers

8: Star Wars #1 (2015), 85 covers

7: Detective Comics (1937) #1000, 86 covers

6: Vampirella #1 (2019), 89 covers

5: Dark Knight III, The Master Race #1 (2016), 91 covers

=3: Godzilla: Kingdon of Monsters #1 (2011), 104 covers

=3:Batman #50 (2016), 104 covers

2: Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #666, 145 covers (including 141 comic shop variants)

1: The Walking Dead #1 (2003), 246 covers (including 151 comic shop variants) as described in my Journal - see below 

Edited by StephenWA
typo