• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comics are the most likely to have a page missing?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

My vote: Amazing Spider-Man #20. I have four copies of these... bought years ago and put away.

Well, after getting them out and getting ready to sell them, I now realize that two of the four had the last page cut out... where the pin-up was...

AmazingSpiderman012-23.jpg

Check out the GPA census; it is riddled with Qualified books.

The crazy thing is that, even without that page, the book sells very well.

Obviously, the dreaded Marvel value stamp has taken its toll on many books too. But those aren't specific to one comic, like this is.

Basically, any early Silver age Marvel containing a pinup page (ASM 3 is another example), I can see a lot of folks ripping out pages from that Steranko Strange Tales issue with the gorgeous 4-page splash (forgot the issue #).

i can also see how some pages from the all-pinup Marvel Fanfare 45 can go missing, likewise for the Sandman Gallery one shot and the Death Gallery one shot

Edited by jjonahjameson11

18 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Check out the GPA census; it is riddled with Qualified books.

Also Universal 0.5 books... I know... because I missed this on one of my CGC submissions and got it back as a Universal 0.5. Not sure why it didn't come back Qualified.

The 0.5's sell for like $50.

So I cracked it out of the case, popped it up on eBay, and still sold it for over $200.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Also Universal 0.5 books... I know... because I missed this on one of my CGC submissions and got it back as a Universal 0.5. Not sure why it didn't come back Qualified.

So I cracked it out of the case, popped it up on eBay, and still sold it for over $200.

smart !!:idea:

I've also experienced numerous #20's missing the pin-up...seemingly more so than others.... 181 is another big one as stated...

Encountered FF3's with missing pin-ups (I think it has the human torch on it). I'd find it interesting if there's a correlation to missing pages & "cooler" pin-ups...

Edited by Callaway29

ASM 20 and Batman 181 are great examples and the first two that popped into my mind. ASM 238 with the tats ripped out is another big one. 

Three of the last four copies of FF 49 I've bought were incomplete. Maybe just bad luck.

For golden age, any single staple books are prone to missing centerfolds....especially the thicker ones. Ditto with any centerfolds that were tipped in, like Suspense 3. 

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

I'm sure you disclosed the defect(s) but the negativity of PLODs and GLODs is amazing.  I think CGC should have one label noting the defects - they could still use the same restored/conserved indicators.  Possibly more potential sellers may submit their books without fear of receiving less money than a raw book as buyers fixate on the green/purple label, though the change to conserved helped some, imo. 

My 2c if even worth that much.

27 minutes ago, telerites said:

I'm sure you disclosed the defect(s)

Absolutely. In fact, on that book there were a ton. It's just a hot book right now.

Oh, and I goofed again on this book... sent an ASM20 off for slabbing after making SURE the poster was there.

Came back today as a 7.0... Qualified! WTH?!??!

Well... it still has the poster... but it's missing the third page. LOL

I was focused so much on the poster, I missed a whole 'nuther page out. D'oh!

giphy.gif

P.S. The other ASM 20 came back Universal 7.5. Whew. :)

Edited by oldrover

I have a small collection of pin ups-- which like Marvel Value Stamps sort of backfired as they enticed kids to ruin the books. Not in an evil way but the result was the same. I mean-- it is a Pin Up-- of course you are supposed to tear it out and PIN IT UP on your wall, right?

The only saving grace was all of mine came out of bronze age books that weren't worth much. I do have one I suspect is a reprint of the Rawhide Kid mentioned in item #27 above....

1170603187_RawhideKid-a.thumb.jpg.833fc7d214066ff0e0e053d71543ae8d.jpg

but clearly the back side shows it was bronze age

334258868_RawhideKid-b.thumb.jpg.3a0598edc0d1cbcaf602114bfe9103f5.jpg

I regret them now but at the time it was fun to decorate the walls with these images. I have TWO Captain America Pinups -- why? no idea.

Well, after seeing this I got out my copy of ASM #20 that I bought in the mid-70’s to see if the pin-up was intact. Whew! It was there.

I like to think I was careful when buying them in the first place but now I feel compelled to go through that list of 50 comics and make sure all of mine have their pin-ups. 🤪