• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF 48 & Hulk 181

10 posts in this topic

always nice to find those big books - regardless of the shape.  I remember back in the day going thru the bins of my LCS and the joy of finding a key book.

Spoiler

My uneducated guesses are  2.0 for the Hulk book due to the missing pieces (maybe higher if I'm wrong on how they affect a grade) and 4.5 for FF 48

I am at 2.5-3.0 for the Hulk 181. Chunks missing yes but your book looks nicer than a guy who just posted a SA Hulk #2 that got a 2.5 and had a big chunk gone. So maybe even a 3.5 for this one if CGC is feeling soft like they seem to be nowadays.

As for the FF, solid higher low grade book. 4.5 for me. 

6 hours ago, csaag said:

always nice to find those big books - regardless of the shape.  I remember back in the day going thru the bins of my LCS and the joy of finding a key book.

Reveal hidden contents

My uneducated guesses are  2.0 for the Hulk book due to the missing pieces (maybe higher if I'm wrong on how they affect a grade) and 4.5 for FF 48

Thank you

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

I am at 2.5-3.0 for the Hulk 181. Chunks missing yes but your book looks nicer than a guy who just posted a SA Hulk #2 that got a 2.5 and had a big chunk gone. So maybe even a 3.5 for this one if CGC is feeling soft like they seem to be nowadays.

As for the FF, solid higher low grade book. 4.5 for me. 

Thank you. I was thinking around the same thing. That HULK #2 was pressed to, it came out great.

hulk 181:  1.5" triangular piece out left upper corner, 1/2" triangular piece out right upper corner, 1/2" triangular sliver piece out right lower corner, color breaking spine tics, corner wear, light soiling of cover, back cover with 4 small 1/4 - 1/2" chips/slivers/tears, moderate foxing back cover.  that's a lot of missing paper

CGC 2.5

For comparison, here are two CGC 3.0s with missing pieces.  The TOS has comparable wear but much less paper loss, while the Bats has more cover wear but also much less paper loss.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-Suspense-25-CGC-3-0-G-VG-1962-Kirby-Ditko-art/202634622763?hash=item2f2df6f72b:g:7N8AAOSwgPVcl~u8&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tales-of-Suspense-25-CGC-3-0-G-VG-1962-Kirby-Ditko-art/202634622763?hash=item2f2df6f72b:g:7N8AAOSwgPVcl~u8&frcectupt=true

FF48: color breaking spine wear and spine tics, edge wear and partial color breaking (CB) creases upper edge, right upper and lower corner CB creases, stains on cover (one upper left corner above Thing's head and one above the "L" in Galactus, light cover wear.  good colors, presents well

CGC 4.5

Edited by davet75

On 3/30/2019 at 11:33 PM, davet75 said:

hulk 181:  1.5" triangular piece out left upper corner, 1/2" triangular piece out right upper corner, 1/2" triangular sliver piece out right lower corner, color breaking spine tics, corner wear, light soiling of cover, back cover with 4 small 1/4 - 1/2" chips/slivers/tears, moderate foxing back cover.  that's a lot of missing paper

CGC 2.5

For comparison, here are two CGC 3.0s with missing pieces.  The TOS has comparable wear but much less paper loss, while the Bats has more cover wear but also much less paper loss.

FF48: color breaking spine wear and spine tics, edge wear and partial color breaking (CB) creases upper edge, right upper and lower corner CB creases, stains on cover (one upper left corner above Thing's head and one above the "L" in Galactus, light cover wear.  good colors, presents well

CGC 4.5

Wow thank you!!!!! That's impressive. (worship)

On 3/31/2019 at 11:33 AM, davet75 said:

CGC 2.5

CGC 4.5

Great to see your rationale and all those notes!

I also scored them 2.5 and 4.5  FWIW.

6 hours ago, retrothecollector said:

Wanted to give an update as I have recently graded the Hulk 181 as of May 7th 2021. Came back blue 2.5 just as predicted. Thanks everyone for helping me. 

AFC85E7C-6A6F-4C94-BEDB-4BD7A891B5EB.jpeg

Thanks for following up on this old post!  It's always great to see how we fared in the grading game.  :tink: