• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on regrading my Af15

22 posts in this topic

I had this one graded a few years back when CGC seemed to be grading super strict.  IMO CGC has softened their grading slightly.

What do you think..... should I crack & resub?  Just getting a half grade bump would be super awesome.

I've always thought it looked better than a 4.0.  It has the water stain at the bottom, but still they really hammered me on this one for such a gorgeous book.

P1100419.JPG

P1100423.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

I would gamble on it too and press and regrade.

Side question...can you not remove water stains? I have seen it done on books but never comics. Would that type of resto be detectable? Far as I know, it involves getting the page wet again to try and blend the stain so it is fainter and then applying drying techniques to smooth the pages. 

I assume it was already pressed before getting it graded the first time, so that likely won't help it. Comes down to whether you can stomach the risk of it coming back a 3.5 and if the potential reward for a 4.5 outweighs that risk for you. No one but you can answer that. For what it's worth, I don't like the chances of it scoring higher because of all the water damage but then again I don't think it will score lower either.

Just now, The Lions Den said:

In my opinion, 4.0 is a fair grade for this book. Try to look at it this way: You have a very respectable copy of one of the most desirable comic books ever created...with no restoration or missing parts. The front cover has great eye appeal. All you have to do is keep it in a safe place and watch it steadily go up in value. Seems to me you're already a big winner. But whatever you decide to do, good luck... 

Pretty much what I thought too. It's a really nice looking 4.0 but a 4.0 none the less.

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Does anyone agree with me that CGC was tight a few years ago and seems to have loosened up a little?

The second half of 2015 through march of 2016 (right around the time they had to staff aug to fix the version 1 of the new holder blunder) is a known strict period.  Probably one of the most strict including pre 2006.  I look for slabs graded around this time for this reason.  That water stain is a 2 point (from 6.0 to 4.0) ding so you may get another 4.0.  I don't see you getting a 3.5, that seems out of the question but maybe the time and money will buy you the same grade.  If I were the grader with that book in front of me I would have a very hard time giving that book anything below a 4.5 so if I had that in my collection it would absolutely be headed toward CGC.  I would take everything into account and come to the conclusion the most I would be out is the money to have it graded.

14 minutes ago, comicquant said:

The second half of 2015 through march of 2016 (right around the time they had to staff aug to fix the version 1 of the new holder blunder) is a known strict period.  Probably one of the most strict including pre 2006.  I look for slabs graded around this time for this reason.  That water stain is a 2 point (from 6.0 to 4.0) ding so you may get another 4.0.  I don't see you getting a 3.5, that seems out of the question but maybe the time and money will buy you the same grade.  If I were the grader with that book in front of me I would have a very hard time giving that book anything below a 4.5 so if I had that in my collection it would absolutely be headed toward CGC.  I would take everything into account and come to the conclusion the most I would be out is the money to have it graded.

Great analysis.  The value difference between a 4.0 & 4.5 is about $5500 so I'm thinking it might be a good risk to take.  I see so many AF15 4.0s that look inferior to mine so I can't see the grade going down.  If I get the same grade then I lose a couple hundred (or whatever they'll charge), but if I get a half grade bump...... outstanding.

I think I'm going to go for it.  I'll report the grade if I do.

20 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Great analysis.  The value difference between a 4.0 & 4.5 is about $5500 so I'm thinking it might be a good risk to take.  I see so many AF15 4.0s that look inferior to mine so I can't see the grade going down.  If I get the same grade then I lose a couple hundred (or whatever they'll charge), but if I get a half grade bump...... outstanding.

Hmmm... That water stain looks like it goes through the full book as it shows on the front and back so they may hit it more for that.. but I agree it is a pretty 4.0 and very possibly will bump. 

Did you have it graded? If not did you purchase the notes?

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Awesome!  I look forward to seeing a bump or two!

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hmmm... That water stain looks like it goes through the full book as it shows on the front and back so they may hit it more for that.. but I agree it is a pretty 4.0 and very possibly will bump. 

Did you have it graded? If not did you purchase the notes?

No staining on any of the interior pages.  Matt Nelson told me the interior pages should get a WHITE designation (but they didn't).

19 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

In my opinion, 4.0 is a fair grade for this book. Try to look at it this way: You have a very respectable copy of one of the most desirable comic books ever created...with no restoration or missing parts. The front cover has great eye appeal. All you have to do is keep it in a safe place and watch it steadily go up in value. Seems to me you're already a big winner. But whatever you decide to do, good luck... 

+1  (thumbsu

On 3/28/2019 at 8:45 PM, gadzukes said:

Does anyone agree with me that CGC was tight a few years ago and seems to have loosened up a little?

I would say yes. And because of that, I think you do have a shot at getting a higher grade...

On 3/29/2019 at 8:21 PM, mysterymachine said:

I would get the grader notes on the book if you haven't already, just to be sure there isn't something you didn't see. It does look like a 4.5 but they can hit a book pretty hard when it comes to water damage..

Absolutely important to do ... there are defects which are difficult to detect, and the notes may reveal something you hadn't thought of before ...

On 3/29/2019 at 8:21 PM, mysterymachine said:

I would get the grader notes on the book if you haven't already, just to be sure there isn't something you didn't see. It does look like a 4.5 but they can hit a book pretty hard when it comes to water damage..

I'm in the resubmit immediately camp but would like to at least see graders notes. Whatever you decide that is a gorgeous 4.0.