• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying cases of comics
1 1

85 posts in this topic

I passed on many warehouse finds back in the day 300 x asm361 300 new mutants 1 300 punisher 1 300 Spawn 1... I couldn't fathom spending 3-500 bucks on those back when I was picking silver/Bronze Age collections for similar prices 4-5 years ago. Just didn't make sense 

The diamond warehouse retailer meetings in the early 90's were great for picking up cases of stuff for cheap. Everything that was left over in was being blown out for $20-$40 a case. 

At the time it was nothing great (One meeting I got a case each of, Wolverine 75's, X-men 25, almost all the phalanx covenant books, Spider-Man Unlimited #1's, Spawn #4's, Spawn #9's) but for 10cents to 20cents a piece it was worth picking up for giveaways and bonuses to customers. I gave away copies for YEARS of those book when someone made a purchase. Stopped giving away the X-men and Spawn books, and sold those when they rose in demand. Somewhere there's a box with the last 50 copies of Spider-Man Unlimited #1 in the basement. 

Some of those books turned out to be nice money makers much much later on, of course, but at the time they were SO many of them left over they had trouble giving them away for 10 cents a piece. 

Just now, TwoPiece said:

1. Buy all raw copies of Spawn #1 to create false supply scarcity.

2. Spawn movie reboot releases.

3. ?????

4. Profit.

I hope styler Perry stars in it. Those Madea movies are a goldmine and he’s obviously comfortable in makeup

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

I hope styler Perry stars in it. Those Madea movies are a goldmine and he’s obviously comfortable in makeup

That would bring in the $$$$$ even more, too.

(If you haven't seen the South Park episode about this, then you're missing out. lol)

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, Pat Thomas said:

Just asked a question. I'm not a dealer. I'm a collector who has enough money to actually do the things most people only talk about. If you're who I think you are, you're not a dealer either, just a malcontent who gets off marking snarky comments on message boards.

I think this is the part that was off-putting.  Given the very nature of these boards, and the comics that are trading hands, I'd AUTOMATICALLY assume that almost everyone here has an above-average level of disposable income to invest in this hobby.

That said.....it really isn't about waving cash around.  You can go to eBay or any number of online auction sites and do that.  You and the OP seem to be asking where folks go to find these amazing near-magical deals.  And everyone here has been quite sincere -- if a bit obtuse -- in saying that it's all about the relationships you have in your local community.  You need to be one of the guys that the "players" (to include LCS owners and other investors/insiders) want to call when there's a deal to be had.  And sometimes, that takes YEARS of investing in relationships with these people.  Patronizing their stores, having a pull list, having a "call me if this book comes across your radar" list, seeing people at cons -- especially the local cons, and taking time to get to know those people.

As an example, I patronized a local dealer for YEARS -- nearly two decades.  He closed his store, but is still active in the local con community, and I can always count on him for an email whenever there's a good "happening" coming up.  No Action #1-type things, but I've not paid more than 30% of guide value for a key book or silver-age book in years.  This contact has become sort of a "cool uncle"-type to me.  He's about 15 years older, and knew all the people in our local are who owned all the best shops when I was in middle school.  And now that THOSE guys have all passed away, he bought large chunks of these collections for cheap, and is willing to pass on those deals to the right people.  That's just one example.

But comic traders are like everyone else -- they'll involve friends first, and random guys with money later.

Hope this helps a bit.  Get out there and start to meet the people in your hobby.  You'll be amazed what happens.

Edited by RonS2112

4 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

You and the OP seem to be asking where folks go to find these amazing near-magical deals.

I understand that people don't always find unopened cases of Spider-Man #300's, I just wondered where and how people found large amounts of books

8 hours ago, obiedagod said:

I understand that people don't always find unopened cases of Spider-Man #300's, I just wondered where and how people found large amounts of books

So, I have no clue how old you are, but if you were around in the mid90s, you’ll remember all sorts of excessive behavior like this.  People buying multiple copies of every gimmick book that came down the pike, and selling for exhorbitant prices to feed a fad.  ASM #361 was being sold for $20 a copy mere weeks after its initial release and only recently re-attained those prices.  

Craigslist has sales of multiple-copy 90s books every day.  

Which is why the multiple-variant cover fad of late is a bit alarming.

53 minutes ago, John R said:

This was on ebay a few months ago.

Rare!!! 250 Ct Unopened Case Bloodshot #1 (Feb 1993) Chromium cover

What was the price? I’d buy it at the right price