• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cover Ink pen Writing Effects Grade?

9 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2019 at 10:25 PM, Tony S said:

At the "FINE" grade level, a name written on the cover is not going to have much effect on the grade. If the book was otherwise NM, it would impact the grade significantly. But at Fine, not really much at all. 
Welcome to the boards

This.

VG 4.0 is the highest grade where writing on the cover other than arrival dates is mentioned and allowed so how much it will drop the grade on your book depends on the actual overall grade of the book.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one stapl

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

VG 4.0 is the highest grade where writing on the cover other than arrival dates is mentioned and allowed so how much it will drop the grade on your book depends on the actual overall grade of the book.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one stapl

Well, that's Overstreet says. Overstreet also says that if you use vintage staples you can replace staples in a comic book up to NM. And has the grades of 0.3 and 0.1. All guidelines CGC does not follow. 

CGC doesn't automatically drop comic books down to 4.0 for writing on the cover. They don't automatically drop the grade down to VG for a 1" Spine Split  either.  Again, more like FN.  I've owned a number of CGC graded copies that were above fine with a name on the cover or a large store stamp. The only one I can quickly find a picture of is below.  

If the book is a key issue and has writing or a large store stamp or a small spine spit  I nearly always get them graded. Because sold raw many a collector reads the OPG guidelines and does not believe the book can be graded much above VG.  So those are ideal to send in to CGC for grading as the CGC reputation and label establishes the grade for most. 

Captain America 100 with store stamp.jpg

Edited by Tony S

22 hours ago, Tony S said:

Well, that's Overstreet says. Overstreet also says that if you use vintage staples you can replace staples in a comic book up to NM. And has the grades of 0.3 and 0.1.

Captain America 100 with store stamp.jpg

Actually it is from "Heritage Auctions" and if they use the "Overstreet Grading Standards" then who am I to disagree.

These are the standards I use for buying and grading my books.

Also...

That is not "writing on the cover" it is a store stamp not scribble with a pen done by a kid.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

Edited by marvelmaniac

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

Actually it is from "Heritage Auctions" and if they use the "Overstreet Grading Standards" then who am I to disagree.

These are the standards I use for buying and grading my books.

Also...

That is not "writing on the cover" it is a store stamp not scribble with a pen done by a kid.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

I think the point you are missing is that Overstreet and CGC grading guidelines are NOT the same. 

22 hours ago, newshane said:

I think the point you are missing is that Overstreet and CGC grading guidelines are NOT the same. 

I understand completely and this is what makes grading very subjective and difficult for everybody and in turn creates problems.

As a collector of raw books and being "old school" where I was taught and told by numerous dealers over the years that The Overstreet Price Guide is the "Bible Of the Industry" I use the grading standards that are published in black and white which if I am not mistaken cannot be said for CGC.

If CGC did publish their grading standards and you could point me to the site where I could see/read them I would be more than happy to use those grading standards so we could all be on the same page.

When I grade my books or books on this site all books get graded equally by the "written" grading standards and illustrations in the Overstreet Grading Guide showing each defect specifically allowed whether they are from 1948 or 1998.

14 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I understand completely and this is what makes grading very subjective and difficult for everybody and in turn creates problems.

As a collector of raw books and being "old school" where I was taught and told by numerous dealers over the years that The Overstreet Price Guide is the "Bible Of the Industry" I use the grading standards that are published in black and white which if I am not mistaken cannot be said for CGC.

If CGC did publish their grading standards and you could point me to the site where I could see/read them I would be more than happy to use those grading standards so we could all be on the same page.

When I grade my books or books on this site all books get graded equally by the "written" grading standards and illustrations in the Overstreet Grading Guide showing each defect specifically allowed whether they are from 1948 or 1998.

I understand what you are saying. Why not / whether or not CGC should publish their grading standards is a conversation that comes up here on these boards from time to time

But here is the bottom line. When Overstreet Price and Grading Guides were the bibles of the industry, grading was still subjective. It's not possible to get everyone "on the same page". Even with printed words and pictures. There is always subjectivity. Back in the early 90's, I was in a room full of Overstreet Advisors in a grading excercise. A stack of books was passed around, each of us graded the books and turned in our grades. I'll never forget Gary Carters words after he tallied the grades: "Some of you I want to buy books from. Some of you I want to sell books to"

The purpose of professional grading and encapsulation in this hobby and others is not having everyone on the same page as to how books are graded. It's to have a final authority that the vast majority of people will accept AND an encapsulation that preserves that assigned grade. In the raw world, you buy a book and it's NM. You go to sell a few years later - maybe to the same dealer or person you bought it from - and now it's a VF minus.  The lack of an accepted authority for grade and secure, tamper evident storage holders that maintained that grade was holding the hobby back. There was NEVER going to be million dollar books as long as the condition could be lawyered to death. 

So there is still - even with professional grading and encapsulation - subjectivity to grading. It's just that it's best for the hobby to have an entity or two where their subjective opinion on grade is widely accepted.  And I've not even touched on restoration - which most collectors cannot spot but trained experts can. 

Edited by Tony S