• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Comic Con MY 17-19 2019
2 2

40 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

Yes, unfortunately we won't be able to make it this year. We originally had it on the schedule not knowing that Megacon was the same weekend. Hopefully next year the shows won't overlap so we can make it back to Novi.

Please do!  Your booth is a must stop for me each year. Hope to see you again in Michigan!!!

I'm starting to hear that this Con may be a train wreck.  Sounds like they jacked up booth fees and it's competing against another big Con.  This may be the first year I don't go to any out of town Cons this summer.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Who said it’s a train wreck?

PM me and I'll give out names since I don't think he will care.  Booth fees got jacked up, conflict with another big con has me questioning taking a day off to go check it out.

My schedule changed which allows me to make it and keep my streak going. That said, I think this show is a shadow of itself this year. No, to be fair, I'm only there for comics. But, no Dale, Bob Storms, etc...  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

My schedule changed which allows me to make it and keep my streak going. That said, I think this show is a shadow of itself this year. No, to be fair, I'm only there for comics. But, no Dale, Bob Storms, etc...  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Let us know.  It’s just too far a drive for me to risk a dud of a show.  Plus the wife has us repainting the deck - can’t miss that!

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Let us know.  It’s just too far a drive for me to risk a dud of a show.  Plus the wife has us repainting the deck - can’t miss that!

Only a 40 minute drive for me. Might be interesting to check some others out. My challenge will be I trust Dale and Bob's grading.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Shadow said:

Only a 40 minute drive for me. Might be interesting to check some others out. My challenge will be I trust Dale and Bob's grading.

Dale has a great booth so I hear you.  There will be a lot of first time at the show dealers, so at least that is new books to look at.  

I went to Motor City on Friday.

I'm not really a Convention guy, so I really don't have a point of reference . Think I was at Motor City about 20 years ago, and that's it.

$30 for one day,  $10 to park. Additional fees for anything involving the celebrities. 

Seemed like a fair mix of things to see. Graded books, some guys had decent key ungraded, and plenty of lower grade stuff too. Can't say I recall being blown away by any particular books,  but I was also kind of rushed as I arrived later than I would have liked.

Saw some of the Walking Dead stars, and Neve Campbell. 

I think Henry Winkler may have waved at me. I was kind of staring trying to figure out if the old guy sitting there was The Fonz - then he waved - which made me realize I was in fact staring at him. :)

After reading the previous posts, I probably would have liked to have seen the big dealers there,  but I had a good time. I'd return next year.

As many of the larger national dealers were sucked up my MegaCon this year, it was strange not seeing the likes of Superworld, Dale Roberts, Greg Reece, Bob Storms, North Coat Nostalgia at this show. So it’s a bit ironic that they expanded the floor space at the convention centre this year with so many regulars missing. There was still many of the regular local dealers present like Todd Lange and Harley Yee, as well as dealers who I’ve never seen before. The physical space was so massive, I didn’t even see some of the usual show staples like Motor City Comics (!) who are normally front and centre. I spent about 5 hours there, subbed some books to CGC, and dug through books as much as I could as Friday was my one and only day.

Here’s a few pics. I did not take many.

Purchased advanced tickets but was herded in with the rest of the pack:

CC21CFA8-3271-421A-84C8-835C0D31D935.thumb.jpeg.c27c5314bd94dc1efa2b4982cf43677b.jpeg

A lot of space:

E0779E81-164B-49F3-A16F-243B6CA1A3A6.thumb.jpeg.5946135c5e0f245bd8e5ce988b476220.jpeg

Marc Nathan’s booth:

B5142586-5207-4CE4-8FEC-1FE34305AD0A.thumb.jpeg.f9a1a9e1031187e08a0accb941bed3ac.jpeg

Harley Yee’s booth:

85F847E3-C334-407C-9C96-02226BA509F9.thumb.jpeg.c055edec487a48242c715a8be7876db1.jpeg

A lot of booths like this one:

5A2EC139-4F9A-4A89-8A08-1281D33E8C82.thumb.jpeg.d17780d72d1e6f76d879a00bb7e238d2.jpeg

Which is fine by Li’l Grumble:

47CC6712-9A25-4C3F-9DCC-2432617049F6.thumb.jpeg.4a0c1fb6ce8f0b9237f61da91f79e3f9.jpeg

Comix Oasis:

9800E5B9-0831-468B-9A98-46BE2F8D3069.thumb.jpeg.1dfd336fbfae7b9d04a5572dd9c0a0c7.jpeg

Cheapies behind Todd Lange’s booth:

B29EB944-2F0B-4355-B8BC-B34734D716D7.thumb.jpeg.8c94ceb5fc522954afad4bef1a462538.jpeg

Edited by letsgrumble

Also attendance was still really strong especially Sunday.  David Tenant only being there that day made a difference for Sunday for Goldman’s attendance figures, but I will say a lot of those people weren’t looking to buy comics either.  

I also missed Collector Zone’s and @catrick339‘s booth.   Love buying from those guys. 

6 hours ago, SkOw said:

Also attendance was still really strong especially Sunday.  David Tenant only being there that day made a difference for Sunday for Goldman’s attendance figures, but I will say a lot of those people weren’t looking to buy comics either.  

I also missed Collector Zone’s and @catrick339‘s booth.   Love buying from those guys. 

I noticed they weren’t there which was odd. 

17 hours ago, SkOw said:

I thought it was a good show but I hope next year it doesn’t go head to head with megacon.  I can’t see that helping either show.  My Superman run missed Ted’s, Dale’s, and Greg’s booths.  

From a flipping stand point were the new guys worth attending the show or was the picking as tough as expected. 

I talked to Rick and the booth prices have become too high for most of the regulars to afford.

Edited by 1Cool

20 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

From a flipping stand point were the new guys worth attending the show or was the picking as tough as expected. 

I talked to Rick and the booth prices have become too high for most of the regulars to afford.

Yep.  Roger Petersen,   Leonard  Litteral,  Bill  Thade and I  have been kind of  turfed out.  Just  can't  afford  the booths. Darryl Dean   dropped out  last  year. 
Unfortunately,  MCCC has been turning  into  a  media  show,  and   comics  are  nowadays  an  afterthought.  Cosplayers  don't  buy  comics,  they  parade
around  enjoying  the  ambience  and  attention.  Celebrity  autograph  seekers  don't  buy  comics,   they  buy photo ops  and autographs  from  celebrities.
Most Marvel  movie  fans  don't  even  know that  comic books  exist. 
I hope  the  show  remains  a  success,  but  my  interest  has  waned  year after year  as I  find  less  and less to buy. 
This is the  first  year since  it started  30 years ago  that  I  haven't  set up,  or  at  least  attended  (one year  I  was  broke  with  no  comics,  :D )
 but there's  just  not  enough  left  for me   to  pay  the price  to  attend,  and  too  pricey  for  me  to  display. 

Ahh well,  3Rivers  in  Pittsburgh  was  fun a  week  ago,  and  Cherry  Capital  next  weekend  should be  fun  too. 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:01 AM, 1Cool said:

Not at all true. I simply sell much more at Megacon. Same with Greg and Bob. Kapelka now lives in Florida so not practical for him to choose Detroit over Megacon. 

That being says, I love the Motor City Show and hope to be exhibiting next year as the dates are not in conflict. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, 1Cool said:

I thought it was a great show this year.  Attendance was high, or seemed higher than previous years.  There were less huge books in the room than years past, but more deals to be had.  

Andrew, you would have crushed it this year from a flipping stand point. It was much better than last year in that regard.  

For the collector looking for $1000+ GA/SA books?  Not as strong as last year. 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:55 PM, Dale Roberts said:

Not at all true. I simply sell much more at Megacon. Same with Greg and Bob. Kapelka now lives in Florida so not practical for him to choose Detroit over Megacon. 

That being says, I love the Motor City Show and hope to be exhibiting next year as the dates are not in conflict. 

Sorry - meant to say small guy regulars.  The big guys were in Florida.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Sorry - meant to say small guy regulars.  The big guys were in Florida.

Hey, I'm 5'11" and pretty much a regular dude.

I wish the show coordinators could get together and work out schedules, it would benefit them all from a guest and exhibitor standpoint, but I don't think they care that much.