• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Voldemort rant...

22 posts in this topic

Selling off my comics, slabbing the keys... giving CGC a ton of business... which has been a TREMENDOUS experience and well worth it... :)

...but I had 4 books with unwitnessed signatures.

So I figured I'll send these to Voldemort (with a joeypress detour). Sent them to Joey in December. Joey got them to Voldemort the first week of February. Nice turnaround. :)

FYI 3 of them I paid for expedited grading: either 2-day or 2-week grading... but one was just a regular modern (X-Men 100), so I went the 15-18 week route. Whatever.

So now it's the end of March... nothing. I call... voicemail. Finally get an email back... they claimed I'd said for all books to be shipped together. Which BTW is not reflected on the invoice.

Now... why the h-e-double hockey sticks would I pay for expedited grading on 3 of them, to let them sit there for months?!?!

On the outside, I'm calm. On the inside...

giphy.gif

...not so much. :)

Rant over. Enjoy your day.

Edited by oldrover
Title

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Selling off my comics, slabbing the keys... giving CGC a ton of business... which has been a TREMENDOUS experience and well worth it... :)

...but I had 4 books with unwitnessed signatures.

So I figured I'll send these to Voldemort (with a joeypress detour). Sent them to Joey in December. Joey got them to Voldemort the first week of February. Nice turnaround. :)

FYI 3 of them I paid for expedited grading: either 2-day or 2-week grading... but one was just a regular modern (X-Men 100), so I went the 15-18 week route. Whatever.

So now it's the end of March... nothing. I call... voicemail. Finally get an email back... they claimed I'd said for all books to be shipped together. Which BTW is not reflected on the invoice.

Now... why the h-e-double hockey sticks would I pay for expedited grading on 3 of them, to let them sit there for months?!?!

On the outside, I'm calm. On the inside...

giphy.gif

...not so much. :)

Rant over. Enjoy your day.

In before the mods poof this thread... but yeah it's amateur hour over there.

Expedited grading services with Voldy (anything two weeks or less) is mostly a waste of $$ if you have signatures verified. In my experience that service alone adds a 2-3  weeks to the grading tier selected. So with VSP, you might as well do no more than add Fast Pass on the least expensive tier and plan on a several months wait. 

Combining shipments has always been a good idea --- where the devil is in the details.  It's intent is to save those submitting money on shipping costs   CGC states they do not combine shipping of different tiers - but it's poorly kept secret that CGC does in fact combine shipments for SOME people. So CBCS was offering combined shipping as an option to everyone. Not just a lucky few. . BUT from day one there have been complaints that people didn't realize or didn't even mark their submissions for combined shipping and have paid for expedited services only to wait months on all their books because a couple of books were in a much slower tier. 

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

you certainly meant gift grade

18 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Heard it go both ways. I know people who thought they were really strict. Yer only as good as your most consistent grader.

It can easily got both ways. Wait, you mean two people might not have the same opinion?

The crossover thread shows that the ones that are "crossed over" are almost if not the same.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

CBCS is a stellar example of how just having a respected name isn't enough if you don't know how to run a company.

Steve Borock...one of the most respected names in the industry, and not without reason...has now had to deal with significant reputation damage because he surrounded himself with fools, incompetents, and people of questionable ethics who were, themselves, incapable of running a business or dealing with customers in any productive, meaningful way, especially when those customers were dissatisfied.

Borock had the tremendous good fortune at CGC to have both an established support structure in place in NGC, and be surrounded by others...Litch, Patel. Haspel, Caffrey...who, despite their own flaws, took what they do seriously, knowing they would have to earn the trust of the collecting community if they were going to be taken seriously in turn.

CBCS, on the other hand, behaved as if the community owed them, that they were doing the community a favor by merely existing. That was their recipe for disaster.  

Note to future potential competitors: "they screwed me over; I'll show them!" is not a legitimate reason to start a business, and for crying out loud, don't hire your friends just because they're your friends. 

excellent post here....I agree