• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Video Found on Youtube Question.

3 posts in this topic

I was just searching Youtube for comic art collections and watching some artists do drawings and I came across this bizarre video about a stolen Avengers 1 splash that was bought at a garage sale and almost colored by a child. Does anyone have any details on this story? 

Wow...that goes back a while. Art went missing from airport. Was taken to at least one area comic shop (IIRC, Mark Hay was shown the art, but didn't know value). The rest is in the video. Garage sale story eventually fell apart. Baggage handlers may have been involved. Lesson: Do not put art in check-in luggage!

(A friend ended up with the AVENGERS #1 splash, so it's now safe.)

Edited by Nexus

Somehow this is a story I missed the first time, but watching the video, once the airport aspect was mentioned my mind leapt to the conclusion that it's an inside job. That somebody in airport handling, either luggage or package freight, was pulling things and feeding them to the house with the frequent yard sales. I bet they have all sorts of Hawaiian shirts available, in any size and color you'd like ;) just $3 each. The common stuff they would pull would never hit the radar but always sell for a few bucks here and there, it was the uncommon stuff (duh), what is unique, that blew it open. Felix's comment above - essentially lines up. But jumping to conclusions...fun mind exercise and no more in the absence of a lot more information!