• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Harvey (pre-1956)
3 3

221 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, goldenharvey said:

Here are a few nice Little Audreys that I also had previously, but had to sell.   There isn't much interest in these books and the market prices have really plummetted, at least going by recent ebay and Heritage sales.  Richie Rich and Little Dot are still strong, and Casper has some fans, but Little Audrey is near the bottom, along with Baby Huey and Sad Sack.   But I love these early Audreys.

I'm a fellow Harvey fan (mainly Bronze age), but other than the PCH stuff I think Harveys are doomed to keep declining in value mainly because the once iconic characters have been basically out of print for almost four decades and are sadly and slowly fading into comic oblivion. There is a top-3 graded CGC 7.0 Little Audrey #1 (Harvey 1957) in the upcoming Comiclink auction. It will be interesting to see how that performs compared to previous sales and first issues of Richie Rich and Casper and Spooky from the same era.

13 hours ago, goldenharvey said:

Here are a few nice Little Audreys that I also had previously, but had to sell.   There isn't much interest in these books and the market prices have really plummetted, at least going by recent ebay and Heritage sales.  Richie Rich and Little Dot are still strong, and Casper has some fans, but Little Audrey is near the bottom, along with Baby Huey and Sad Sack.   But I love these early Audreys.

Little Audrey 43 CGC 8.5.jpg

Little Audrey 30 CGC 9.0.jpg

Little Audrey 32 NM.jpg

I like these, also. Don't think I have ever seen these issues before.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The Black Cat went from hanging with movie stars and cruising around on her motorcycle, to hanging with Santa, to tied up in a witches den. This girl really gets around...

comblackcat29.jpg

The Black Cat was a bondage queen like Betty Page.

47537290091_4e099d8dbc_b.jpg

3297378349_be37ec141e_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

12 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm a fellow Harvey fan (mainly Bronze age), but other than the PCH stuff I think Harveys are doomed to keep declining in value mainly because the once iconic characters have been basically out of print for almost four decades and are sadly and slowly fading into comic oblivion. There is a top-3 graded CGC 7.0 Little Audrey #1 (Harvey 1957) in the upcoming Comiclink auction. It will be interesting to see how that performs compared to previous sales and first issues of Richie Rich and Casper and Spooky from the same era.

Yes I agree with you there.  The people who care about those characters and those books are all aging rapidly, with no new fans/collectors to take their place.  Richie Rich seems to be the most popular and always figure there are some millionaires and maybe some billionaires who are fans and will bid very high for his key issues.   The early Little Dots are probably only so popular, because they have RR's first appearances.  

But at least with the demand dropping, the supply of those early Harveys in high grade is so small.  You can look at the CGC census and some early Caspers maybe have one graded copy and it's 6.5.  I wonder if there are many others out there that are ungraded and in collections, or if there just weren't any file copies of those issues.  But Casper 6, 10, 19, and 20 are the key ones there that will sell for $1000+ in 9.2 or higher.   

And the other key Harvey #1 issues are still pricey like Hot Stuff, Little Lotta, Spooky, etc.   However, once you get past #1 hardly anyone cares about any other issues, as the realized auction prices show. 

I wish a few more of the early Harvey humor books would be offered on ebay/Heritage/Comiclink, but does add to the "treasure hunt" aspect of collecting them to have them so rare and unavailable, at any price.

I started collecting comics in 1977 when my brother shared his Richie Rich collection with me.  I completed my Richie Rich set (comics and digests) about 20 years ago, though there are a few early ones I wouldn't mind upgrading.  I collected the other Harvey humor books as well, though not with the same diligence until about 10 years ago.  I'm getting close to completing runs of Casper, Wendy, Little Lotta and others, but still have a long way to go on Little Dot, unfortunately.  I do have #3-5, 7-9 and 12-14 of Little Dot at least.  The main Sad Sack title still has a number of holes to fill as well.

I started collecting Joe Palooka a few years ago and was lucky enough to score #1-8 and a run of later issues.  I also got one of the pre-Harvey issues in the lot.

Palooka 1.jpg

Palooka 2.jpg

Palooka 3.jpg

Palooka 4.jpg

Palooka 5.jpg

Palooka 6.jpg

Palooka 7.jpg

Palooka 8.jpg