• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Harvey (pre-1956)
3 3

221 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2019 at 10:26 PM, goldenharvey said:

There is a thread in the Silver Age section for Harvey Comics, but my favorite period are the earlier books, so I figured would make another thread.

We had one here in Golden Age years ago but it seems to have disappeared in the changeover a few years ago. I tried to find/unearth it several times but failed miserably.

(shrug)

On 4/3/2019 at 12:00 AM, sagii said:

Agree Harvey Romance is certainly underappreciated/overlooked, but why do the Horror books escape the warehouse/file copy find 'curse' but the Romance books don't? 

Me I wish there were far more warehouse finds! I'm on the side of plenty.

:preach:

On 4/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, Robot Man said:

The Black Cat went from hanging with movie stars and cruising around on her motorcycle, to hanging with Santa, to tied up in a witches den. This girl really gets around...

comblackcat27.jpg

Wow! Is your Black Cat 27 really that white? The ones I've seen at shows have had covers much more yellowed covers.

???

On 4/10/2019 at 10:55 PM, goldenharvey said:

@kaculler

I wish I would have bought more of the early file copies in the 90s (and not sold some of what I did buy)....

I wish I had cleaned out my bank account, backed up the truck and bought large quantities of the relatively cheap Harveys from the late fifties through the sixties from the Harvey File copy catalogue Diamond Galleries mailed out in 1993 or so. I used a rifle shot approach though and bought only a few Black Cat Comics, Fighting Fronts, Warfront and miscellaneous horror titles.

...also some of the Heritage auctions in 2003 had a lot of high grade books.  There was one particular Heritage auction just packed full of high grade Harvey file copies, but I could not afford more than one or two.

For several auctions in a row in the early years of this century I was the high bidder for Harvey lots in Heritage Auctions but I was usually stymied at the end by the Reserve and ended up not getting them. I did "win" lots of dozens of Little Audrey, Felix the Cat and Spooky comics from the late fifties to the early sixties though.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

While not Harvey's; the pre-Harvey issue of Green Hornet always struck me as nice books. I picked up issue #5 a couple years back at Terry's Yorba Linda show for a reasonable price. I believe these were put together by Bert Whitman's advertising agency and they have a slick feel to them with a nice cover logo, and generally exciting and tastefully designed covers. This particular issue spoke to me as I have always loved cars from this era and the overall action juxtaposed against the graphic bridge was well done. The tick mark with the Green Hornet symbol is a nice touch too. I'll have to pick up a Harvey issue to see how they compare.

tn_GreenHornet5.jpg.110ecb81d3a7de61ac57589dac5d9ec5.jpg

3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Are those Black Cat file copies? They look like they must be they are so well preserved.

I keep any "File Copy" or "Pedigree" notations within the Mylites in which I store my comics but none of these issues have such a notation. That being said they may still be file copies. I know I bought some Black Cat Comics  out of the Harvey Comics catalogue that Diamond Galleries distributed to potential buyers in the early 1990's and I understand that the comics listed were all Harvey warehouse stock.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat