• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger SA Key: Fantastic Four 48 or Fantastic Four 52?

Bigger SA Key: FF 48 or FF 52?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key?

• Fantastic Four 48
    • Fantastic Four 52
    • Not sure 🤔

19 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

in my opinion.  

Your opinion is an opinion in my opinion. Just opining.

Edited by bronze johnny

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

While the first appearance of Norrin is  cool, it isn’t the be-all and end-all of appreciating this comic. I feel like the book is about Galactus. And a new high water mark for the entire medium. The Trilogy inspired better stories, and a whole wave of new creators ( almost all of whom would later tell “their” Galactus stories). 

Many people have mentioned that they wish FF48 had a “better” cover. I think the cover is excellent. It captures perfectly what the issue is about; a jaw-dropping threat the likes of which comic books had never seen. Art is about context, and when you look at the cover compared to what had come before, in the moment, you see something also unprecedented. A comic super team in awe. A large image of the Silver Surfer would not have been better, but it might have made the book easier to sell in a slab.

FF 48 is the key book of the Greatest story, in the greatest title, by the Greatest writer, and the Greatest artist in comic book history! I think it would be all of those things even without The Silver Surfer.

But that’s just my opinion.

Agree with you that the cover is awesome by drawing upon the reader to ask "what's going on? What has captured the Watcher and FF's attention?" I appreciate those of us that argue for battle covers but there are plenty of them throughout the Silver Age. The cover to FF 48 demonstrates how a comic book cover can capture us without a depiction of violence between good and evil. Agree with you also about the Surfer not having a place on the cover. Think about opening the gift wrap and finding that surprise gift. The Surfer is the gift gorgeously wrapped in a "gift wrapped" Kirby cover that ignites a comic book lover's curiosity. That said, FF 48 is about the Silver Surfer. What is Galactus without a Herald? In 1966? And is there any greater Herald to have served Galactus? The Coming of Galactus is as much the story of his Herald surfing through the Universe in search of a new world for the Devourer. This Herald draws our interest as much as his master. "Where soars the Silver Surfer..."

Edited by bronze johnny

:gossip:

If you think about it Black Panther is bigger and more popular to the mainstream world wide audience than the Fantastic Four are now.

Black Panther box office 2018 = Worldwide: $1,346,913,161 

Fantastic Four box office 2015 = Worldwide: $  167,977,596 

:fear:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I like FF52 - it is a great book, however, I am not even sure if most people would put FF52 as a top 5 FF book let alone more important than FF48 (which IMO is at least the 3rd most important FF book and possibly #2 depending on how you feel about Doom).  So I would say there is no way FF52 is more important than FF48 (but I am also a huge Silver Surfer fan so......).

By the way most important FF books (IMO) = FF1 - FF5 - FF48 - FF4 - FF52 (although I would be fine swapping FF4 and FF52, but others may bump FF52 altogether from a top 5 list).

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I like FF52 - it is a great book, however, I am not even sure if most people would put FF52 as a top 5 FF book let alone more important than FF48 (which IMO is at least the 3rd most important FF book and possibly #2 depending on how you feel about Doom).  So I would say there is no way FF52 is more important than FF48 (but I am also a huge Silver Surfer fan so......).

By the way most important FF books (IMO) = FF1 - FF5 - FF48 - FF4 - FF52 (although I would be fine swapping FF4 and FF52, but others may bump FF52 altogether from a top 5 list).

I can agree with this, but as connoisseur said (and it is something that I didn't even consider when voting) it really is the first black superhero in mainstream comics. This issue came out in 1966. Clearly, Marvel was taking a stance in the growing civil rights movement and the cultural impact of this issue (not necessarily at the time) takes it above a three part story ripoff of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Again, my opinion.

16 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

I can agree with this, but as connoisseur said (and it is something that I didn't even consider when voting) it really is the first black superhero in mainstream comics. This issue came out in 1966. Clearly, Marvel was taking a stance in the growing civil rights movement and the cultural impact of this issue (not necessarily at the time) takes it above a three part story ripoff of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Again, my opinion.

Saw a similar path with the Jackie Robinson rookie card to the Mickey Mantle Topps 1952 card. The Robinson rookie card made huge gains on the Mantle card over the last 5 years as people started to realize the importance of the Jackie Robinson rookie card.

I see a similar track with Black Panther FF #52.

It`s a historic issue. It still is undervalued. People in 20 years will still be talking about how Stan Lee and Jack Kirby took a stance with FF #52 .  FF #48 is a good comic. I just don't think it will have the same historical impact like FF #52. Time is going to be very kind to FF #52 in the long run.

I’ve been watching this thread closely as I sold my FF52ow/w 9.0 to partially fund a purchase of FF48w 9.6 (covered 40% of purchase price) a little over a year ago. I’m not feeling as much love for the panther long term.

It took nearly 60 years for him to become relevant and that was due to the film. It was arguably the best superhero movie to date but the surfer/galactus team haven’t even been in a proper movie....yet. 

Also not crazy about the panthers super powers either. 70 billion dollars says claws look better in yellow spandex. 

FF52 makes me wish comics could be short-sold. 

Edited by c_mkv