• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet Another Stupid Slab Question

7 posts in this topic

Hope I can be pardoned for yet another noob question. Own this book, but was wondering about the left edge, for example. It has a weird gluey look all along the edges. Try zooming for better view. I'm a lousy judge of these things. Thanks for your continued patience as an old comic kid gets up to speed with this 21st century grading stuff. And yeah, it is a pretty-low grade example. Should have stuck this in Newbie I guess.  Link

Edited by Silver Ager

Can't see exactly what you mean, but the edges of the hard plastic outer holder can have little rough areas where the pieces were snapped apart after being molded.  I've thought in the past that it looked like a bad attempt to glue the seams of the slab together at first glance before investigating further...hope this is helpful.

Oh ok, actually I think what you're seeing is the seam where the two halves of the inner holder were sonic welded...very common to see.

Edited by Mystafo

Yea if you mean at the extreme left edge of the slab I'm pretty sure that's the remnants of casting "goobers" on the hard plastic shell...like when you break pieces a snap together model off of the little frame they're all attached to, you know?  They cast several halves of the same size outer holders in one big piece then snap them apart into separate pieces and these rough areas are the remnants of where they were connected.

55 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

Thanks M. Anyone else have any thoughts?

This looks to me like what Mystafo pointed out. There are usually slight flaws in the plastic that will be visible. As long as the book itself isn't heat sealed into the seam of the inner well and you have no cracks or broken pieces in the outer holder, you should be good to go...

On 3/30/2019 at 4:09 PM, Mystafo said:

Yea if you mean at the extreme left edge of the slab I'm pretty sure that's the remnants of casting "goobers" on the hard plastic shell...like when you break pieces a snap together model off of the little frame they're all attached to, you know?  They cast several halves of the same size outer holders in one big piece then snap them apart into separate pieces and these rough areas are the remnants of where they were connected.

This.