• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you regrade these or simply reholder?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have two high grade Amazing Spider-man books who's holders eventually need to be replaced (one has a minute crack and the other has an external label peeling off). Note that I bought these after they were already graded. One is an old label graded back in 2000 and the other was graded in 2007. I was hoping to maybe get a few people's opinion as to whether I should simply get a reholder or if I should try for a pressing/regrade and hope for an improvement. The books are:

ASM 4 graded in 2007 at 8.0

ASM 9 graded in 2000 at 8.5

Personally, I believe the ASM 9 is most likely an 8.5 so I'm leaning towards a simple reholder on that one. However, the ASM 4, in some regards, looks even better than the ASM 9 yet is a grade lower. The price difference between an 8.0 and an 8.5 on a #4 is substantial but have always been scared to take a chance and possibly ending up with a lower grade. I've attached pictures so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

0330191505a.thumb.jpg.893c9670b04350944a5196e680e78f03.jpg0330191505c.thumb.jpg.93c140c47a15e8ceb0eb38bb5d92947c.jpg0330191505b.thumb.jpg.c72231ff9018ba1f1e1a180e1db12d30.jpg0330191505.thumb.jpg.29aa913c9d28e9bbd805bdae65d3f230.jpg0330191504.thumb.jpg.5549f943ada12e07ff309f0be7b13ced.jpg

0330191505d.jpg

0330191506.jpg

0330191507.jpg

0330191507a.jpg

0330191507b.jpg

0330191507c.jpg

0330191507d.jpg

0330191507e.jpg

0330191507f.jpg

0330191507g.jpg

Edited by Darkwing7869

A thousand apologies for piggybacking on this thread, but since there are obviously wise ASM experts here, thought I'd ask. 

Recently got ASM 42 graded at C2E2 - got a 4.5.  I was hoping for a 6.0.   Regrade or just leave well enough alone?

The grader notes were this:

multiple crease cover breaks color
small tear top of back cover

ASM 42.jpg

ASM 42 front left.jpg

ASM 42 front top right.jpg

ASM 42 left.jpg

ASM 42 front bottom left.jpg

ASM 42 front bottom right.jpg

ASM 42 back.jpg

ASM 42 back top left.jpg

ASM 42 back top right.jpg

ASM 42 back bottom left.jpg

ASM 42 back bottom right.jpg

I am amazed that the ASM 9 got the 8.5 with those bends in the comic. Pressing it will make it look better but I don't know if it would improve the grade. Doesn't hurt to try if you have money to burn. You can only hope to get maybe a 9.0 but I think it stays the same.

The answer is the same for both sets of questions. 

Send the books in and pay for a pressing prescreen. If CCS (the in house pressing service of CGC) believes  any of the books could improve then pay for pressing and regrading. If they say "no" then ask that the book(s) be reholdered instead. This will take longer and cost more money, but it gives you an expert opinion (which can only be done in hand, pictures are not good enough) and the best chance of a grade improvement (if possible.)  

Suggestion. It's hard enough to get decent pictures of a comic book in a slab, as there are two layers of plastic - one quite thick - that the picture is being taken through. So don't make matters worse by leaving a third layer of plastic (the outer bag) on  the slab when taking pictures. 

7 hours ago, Tony S said:

The answer is the same for both sets of questions. 

Send the books in and pay for a pressing prescreen. If CCS (the in house pressing service of CGC) believes  any of the books could improve then pay for pressing and regrading. If they say "no" then ask that the book(s) be reholdered instead. This will take longer and cost more money, but it gives you an expert opinion (which can only be done in hand, pictures are not good enough) and the best chance of a grade improvement (if possible.)  

Suggestion. It's hard enough to get decent pictures of a comic book in a slab, as there are two layers of plastic - one quite thick - that the picture is being taken through. So don't make matters worse by leaving a third layer of plastic (the outer bag) on  the slab when taking pictures. 

This.

What are the grading notes, though? Just because the ASM #4 looks better on the outside - doesn't mean that there isn't some internal writing/defect that degrades it.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:58 AM, TwoPiece said:

What are the grading notes, though? Just because the ASM #4 looks better on the outside - doesn't mean that there isn't some internal writing/defect that degrades it.

Absolutely. The notes may reveal a hidden defect. But even if you don't get the upgrade, you're doing very well with what you have. Very nice books indeed...  :golfclap:

On 3/31/2019 at 5:18 PM, lordisam said:

A thousand apologies for piggybacking on this thread, but since there are obviously wise ASM experts here, thought I'd ask. 

Recently got ASM 42 graded at C2E2 - got a 4.5.  I was hoping for a 6.0.   Regrade or just leave well enough alone?

The grader notes were this:

multiple crease cover breaks color
small tear top of back cover

ASM 42.jpg

ASM 42 front left.jpg

ASM 42 front top right.jpg

ASM 42 left.jpg

ASM 42 front bottom left.jpg

ASM 42 front bottom right.jpg

ASM 42 back.jpg

ASM 42 back top left.jpg

ASM 42 back top right.jpg

ASM 42 back bottom left.jpg

ASM 42 back bottom right.jpg

Dude, you can easily start your own thread, and we'd be more than happy to help you out. And if you really want to help us help you, please take the book out of the bag so we can get a better look at it...

Edited by The Lions Den

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Dude, you can easily start your own thread, and we'd be more than happy to help you out. And if you really want to help us help you, please take the book out of the bag so we can get a better look at it...

Done, thanks.  Made new thread so you can reply. :)

Edited by lordisam