• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL QUESTION ADDED - Opinions on suspending the "exclusivity" rule during the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)
4 4

Suspend selling guideline rule #4 (the "exclusive board-only offer") for the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. This proposal would allow sellers to offer items for sale during the weekends of the VCC that are also for sale on other venues (ex. ebay, facebook, and other websites) without having to worry about it being an exclusive board-only offer.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Whether you voted yes or no, would you be willing to accept a trial run for the rule suspension for the 2 remaining VCCs in 2019?

• Yes
    • No

115 posts in this topic

I'd like to ask for opinions on suspending rule #4 (from the Usage Guidelines in the Forum Only Selling Area) for those sellers who choose to set up a booth during the VCC.

Rule #4 from the guidelines for selling here on the CGC Chat Boards states:

"4. It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here."

This proposal would allow sellers who choose to create a booth to offer items for sale during the weekends of the VCC that are also for sale on other venues (ex. ebay, facebook, and other websites) without having to worry about it being an exclusive board-only offer.

This would only apply for those set-up in the Virtual Comic Convention (VCC) Expo Center and would only apply for the weekends of the VCC.

Please vote in the poll and feel free to elaborate on your vote within this thread. Thanks in advance.

VCC 11.jpg

Edited by DeadOne

Would the sellers operate with impunity if an item, for example, sold on eBay and the boards near the same time (prior to the seller being able to end the other listing)? I assume, since eBay is more rigid, the seller would be able to renig on the sale here without drama? And regarding Facebook/Instagram, would it be at their discretion?

This aspect needs to be fleshed out so expectations can be managed because I believe that’s why the rule exists. Could get messy...

The exclusivity rule can be bothersome as a seller but I generally like it. It makes the boards different from other venues. We try to have a higher sense of community here and that includes exclusive sales items in my mind, part of what makes this the best boards around. I don't see any sense in having an exception for the VCC; I do not think  that the exclusivity rule is what is keeping people from participating in the VCC. No data for that, but never heard of it being an issue for the VCC. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

2 hours ago, Bird said:

The exclusivity rule can be bothersome as a seller but I generally like it. It makes the boards different from other venues. We try to have a higher sense of community here and that includes exclusive sales items in my mind, part of what makes this the best boards around. I don't see any sense in having an exception for the VCC; I do not think  that the exclusivity rule is what is keeping people from participating in the VCC. No data for that, but never heard of it being an issue for the VCC. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I like the exclusivity, and I agree with Bird, I think it gives a higher sense of community.

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

With that said, there is no way I would ever participate in a VCC if I had to take things off eBay or Craigslist. I will outline a few reasons why if anyone wants to stay with me here. 

Do you participate in the VCC now? I don't see you in the last index of sellers? I hope to see you selling next week. :baiting:

10 hours ago, DeadOne said:

"4. It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here."

Have the board owners indicated a willingness to change the rules should the vote go accordingly DeadOne?

6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

I love the VCC just the way it is. It’s such a short event the exclusivity shouldn’t be an issue. The VCC is what introduced me to the boards and is the reason I registered

Me as well!

I don't think the VCC was ever about bringing over your ebay store or attracting the big sellers - whom one can visit at any time away from the boards. More about people bringing their odds and ends before listing elsewhere or simply because this is where they like to sell. Generally a small time community event and I would argue the exclusivity as part of the charm.

In this age of most things being for sale most of the time at one venue or another the VCC is hardly required as a billboard along the way. The advertising forums are here already for that purpose.

Buzzetta makes a good argument in his post, I just think the proposed change would change the nature of the event from a small to a large event.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

25 minutes ago, Bird said:

Do you participate in the VCC now? I don't see you in the last index of sellers? I hope to see you selling next week. :baiting:

lol I know you are kidding but in case anyone did not want to read my wall of text... if I had not relisted CoCo and saved it for the fun of VCC then I would not have made that sale last night... if the other board had the exclusivity rule that sale would not have been made. 

You going to Comic Art Con next weekend? I might skip this one and see what the newer one is in the city in a month or two.  

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol I know you are kidding but in case anyone did not want to read my wall of text... if I had not relisted CoCo and saved it for the fun of VCC then I would not have made that sale last night... if the other board had the exclusivity rule that sale would not have been made. 

You going to Comic Art Con next weekend? I might skip this one and see what the newer one is in the city in a month or two.  

I wasn't kidding, I looked in the VCC archives index of sellers and didn't see you listed. I WAS bustin' chops though.

No I am skipping comic art con I think. But it isn't next weekend either! :baiting:  Next weekend I am going to MOCCAfest more likely than not, to wait around for Bill Sienkiewicz to show up and maybe buy some art! But yes I will be at the comic art expo in the city at the end of the month.

13 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Me as well!

I don't think the VCC was ever about bringing over your ebay store or attracting the big sellers - whom one can visit at any time away from the boards. More about people bringing their odds and ends before listing elsewhere or simply because this is where they like to sell. Generally a small time community event and I would argue the exclusivity as part of the charm.

In this age of most things being for sale most of the time at one venue or another the VCC is hardly required as a billboard along the way. The advertising forums are here already for that purpose.

Buzzetta makes a good argument in his post, I just think the proposed change would change the nature of the event from a small to a large event.

I appreciate that. 

This thread was inspired by a conversation in the Plastic Crack Toy Thread. The idea was proposed to bring in guys that would post toys and things for sale at the next VCC or to have a VCC just for comic and sci fi / fantasy toys.  I voiced an explanation as to why I would not participate in such an event.  I do not see the rule changing and that is fine.  This is not my sandbox and all.  

However, when people say participation is down in the VCC I see the exclusivity rule for VCC as a major factor.  I promise though that the next time a book or something interesting ends naturally on eBay that I will offer it here first for a few days before passing it on to someplace else. 

It would be interesting to know if this would add more sellers/books to the VCC.  If it would not significantly increase the offerings, it would not make any sense and my opinion, it probably would not.  

And off-topic a bit, I wish all other board sales forums would be suspended while the VCC is active.  I have not sold in the VCC but think with respect and sole focus to be placed on the event would greatly benefit what is not the same as what it was when I joined over 10 years ago.  That possibly would entice more board sellers to list in the VCC and allow buyers to shop in just the VCC for that weekend.  

Just my 2c

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

I wasn't kidding, I looked in the VCC archives index of sellers and didn't see you listed. I WAS bustin' chops though.

No I am skipping comic art con I think. But it isn't next weekend either! :baiting:  Next weekend I am going to MOCCAfest more likely than not, to wait around for Bill Sienkiewicz to show up and maybe buy some art! But yes I will be at the comic art expo in the city at the end of the month.

You would have to go back much further.  I did it a few times before listing comics and toys but then I changed my mind about it a couple of years ago for the reasons I mentioned above.  

EDIT: Guess I am going back to Costco... Art con on the 14th... Having mini BBQ for something next Sunday... lol Dates mixed up... 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

It would be interesting to know if this would add more sellers/books to the VCC.  If it would not significantly increase the offerings, it would not make any sense and my opinion, it probably would not.  

And off-topic a bit, I wish all other board sales forums would be suspended while the VCC is active.  I have not sold in the VCC but think with respect and sole focus to be placed on the event would greatly benefit what is not the same as what it was when I joined over 10 years ago.  That possibly would entice more board sellers to list in the VCC and allow buyers to shop in just the VCC for that weekend.  

Just my 2c

I doubt that is ever going to happen but your idea would DEFINITELY increase traffic at a VCC.   

That is another issue with something like VCC... items are given more prominence when they benefit from their own isolated thread. At VCC seller posts are buried amongst all others where you are looking for a Boardie's forum name and not an actual book.  When I go to Amazon or even any department store I travel to the department I want to shop in.  Imagine if I had to walk down a line and open 100 unmarked doors to the find the one that leads to the shoe department.  That would be annoying after awhile. That is what VCC is at least to me due to the limitations of how it is in one thread.

You are right though, if the other forums disappeared for that weekend it would drive some traffic over to VCC. However, I don't think that will ever happen.  People would lose their minds. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Art con on the 14th... Having mini BBQ for something next Sunday... lol Dates mixed up.

I showed up for one art con on a Saturday...show was on Sunday. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on too!

This poll has the same problem as the VCC...not enough participation.

That said, I have made an effort to consistently sell at the VCC for the last year or so and have enjoyed it. I buy/trade as well. The aisles are a good addition and keeps it manageable to navigate the sellers and see what is what. This time I have massive threads in C/M and G/S/B that I plan on cross-promoting with my VCC booth, with some cherce goods held back for the booth itself.

Do I sometimes have things for sale on other venues as well as the boards...of course I do but only inadvertently. I just pulled a book from ebay that I have in my new G/S/B slaes thread as I forgot that it was listed there. FB is easy peasy, mark it sold or pending and mark as available when the board sale is over.

16 minutes ago, Bird said:

This poll has the same problem as the VCC...not enough participation.

24 votes in eleven 'out of hour' hours isn't too bad Bird. I'm sure it will pick up as every one wakes up / logs on.

I think it's a no-brainer. If you allow books that are being advertised elsewhere, by definition the number of eligible books increases. Surely. Why would a seller want to end an eBay listing visible to millions, list here to an audience of potentially low hundreds, and then have to relist on eBay if it doesn't sell here? What is the barrier here anyway? Why would anyone not want more books, more choice? If it is to keep a community feel / exclusivity, fine, but both are constraints. That means less books and less choice from less dealers. Surely?

The VCC is a great venture in theory. It's something instead of nothing. Always preferable. DeadOne is to be applauded. But it's a time constricted, rule constricted venture. Why should a seller hold on to books that they can sell at any time on the boards, at their convenience, to suit a window that may not suit them? If you have nice books to sell, why wait for the VCC? Just create your sales thread and off you go.

I have browsed the last few VCCs in the vain hope that someone may list a pence book or two. Never happens of course, but in doing so I pick up a sense that the event has a touch of the graveyard about it. Am I wrong? Lots of effort organising, listing, fighting with mutiple image resizing etc. Not many sales to show for it. Again, am I wrong?

I'm sure the last time the VCC ran there were sales threads running outside of it that appeared more active than those within it. 

One other observation from me. I'm toying with running my first sales thread. I have some books which I think will appeal to some members. I look at the VCC, and I can't work out what the hell is going on. Threads everywhere, booths, rules, liaising with the organisers etc etc. So my strong inclination is to just run a sales thread in the normal way, which I am in full control of, at a time that suits me. 

I know I haven't bought and sold on the boards yet, but I do look at the threads and I do have a view. I've voted for the VCC to allow books advertised elsewhere. Mycomicshop have books on their website and books on eBay. And maybe elsewhere. It's not an alien, unmanageable concept. It's a blatantly obvious one - do you want more books / choice, or less? How likely is it that 'cool books' are not being advertised on the boards, or in the VCC, because the seller knows the chances of selling them are that much greater elsewhere?

So, why not change the rule for one VCC, see how it goes, and then revisit? If it's a disaster, for reasons foreseen or otherwise, revert to the previous rule of exclusivity. If it's a roaring success, keep it. That's what I'd do.

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
12 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Have the board owners indicated a willingness to change the rules should the vote go accordingly DeadOne?

I didn't ask before I created the thread.