• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL QUESTION ADDED - Opinions on suspending the "exclusivity" rule during the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)
4 4

Suspend selling guideline rule #4 (the "exclusive board-only offer") for the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. This proposal would allow sellers to offer items for sale during the weekends of the VCC that are also for sale on other venues (ex. ebay, facebook, and other websites) without having to worry about it being an exclusive board-only offer.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Whether you voted yes or no, would you be willing to accept a trial run for the rule suspension for the 2 remaining VCCs in 2019?

• Yes
    • No

115 posts in this topic

Been here over a year and don't even know anything about this VCC. I guess i'd better look into it quick if there's one coming up real soon. Just from reading the comments I understand what the buzz is about. 1 point I can add is this. If a book sells on ebay and this VCC at the same time i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the ebay sale will trump the VCC sale just because of what will happen if a buyer on ebay has already paid for the item and you don't ship it to him. Wow that was a long sentence let me catch my breath. I guess what i'm saying... in the end the buyers here are the least important in the double sale scenario. Now off I go to read up on VCC.

Had read the thread and think is a good debate on whatever the #4 rule should be lifted? I have give some thoughts on it, and Buzzetta does made few good points. Which I do see his logic in his explaining of why he don’t participate in VCC. 

Bird also made a good point about items being an executive offer for VCC for a short period during while this Con runs to the end, then it goes back to other venues to advertise. However, as a vendor myself ... it can be a bit bothersome if I have one item that is unique which many collectors wants, and I want to access as many venues to get the best price. 

To take off this item from other venues to put in VCC as executive item only for the short time, then after all is over ... if no sale, I put it back to other venues. Like Buzzetta said, I could lose a sale with one customer who might want it then I take it off for VCC here. The customer might think it went sold and will lose interest. 

That is something I have to think. I want to try out VCC by selling some books but haven’t decided if I want to.  I don’t see the logic of removing a certain item off other venues to make this item an executive item only for VCC in this boards here. I meant, it is only for short period of time.  Then I have to re-list that item again all over in other venues. It does take time, and I could miss a good sale elsewhere.

There are two cases that happened with my sales in the past. One time, one person shows interest on one book, but he offered a low price and expected me to cover shipping on my dime? I considered it as a insult to my intelligence. I delinced his offer, and put this book in eBay. Guess what? I got a unexpected price many times, the guide was thrown out the window ... the book was sold. Happy customer, happy seller that’s what it is. 

I think a vendor should have the right in sell their items wherever they are advertised at the same time. But I do see why this rule was put there to make the boards here different from others. If a item is sold, then that is it. My 2 cents.

42 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I didn't ask before I created the thread.

It's neck and neck at present. They don't usually change the rules without a strong consensus. It would be nice to see how it would pan out just once as I suggested at the end of my other post, if you saw it. 

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
53 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I didn't ask before I created the thread.

It's neck and neck at present. They don't usually change the rules without a strong consensus. It would be nice to see how it would pan out just once as I suggested at the end of my other post, if you saw it.

I did and it's a good idea to give it at least a one show trial run. I assumed it wouldn't be for this show, but if the votes go toward yes and the admins okay it, I could see it being implemented and advertised for August and December shows.

When I've presented ideas to the admins in the past, I'm usually told to "make a poll", so I did that first this time around.

I greatly appreciate the responses from everyone.

4 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I did and it's a good idea to give it at least a one show trial run. I assumed it wouldn't be for this show, but if the votes go toward yes and the admins okay it, I could see it being implemented and advertised for August and December shows.

When I've presented ideas to the admins in the past, I'm usually told to "make a poll", so I did that first this time around.

I greatly appreciate the responses from everyone.

Good idea, and good luck DeadOne :wishluck:

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

1 - The idea that people will be disappointed to claim something in VCC only to find that someone already bought it has no merit.   Now it has some merit when there is a FS thread in the forums.  However, in VCC there is no claiming in a thread. Every purchase, every claim, every negotiation is done through PM. Therefore there is no difference to PM someone to begin negotiations or to claim something during VCC and find that another person on the boards beat you to it then to find out that someone bought it on eBay

This is a great point and falls right in line with my way of thinking.

With every sale in the VCC being done though PM, it makes it nearly impossible to double sell a book that sells on another venue.
The seller would simply have to check their PM and before confirming the sale, check the other venue to see if it is still available. If it is, remove it from that venue and then respond to the VCC PM and confirm the sale. 

It may require a bit more diligence for the seller, but that is, imo, not a bad thing. As a buyer, my hope is always that the seller I'm dealing with is on the ball.

**edit**
This also helps answer the question of impunity for sellers posed by @Callaway29
With all sales in the VCC being done via PM, there should be no reason for a seller to over-sell an item. They can check availability before responding.
If for some reason it does happen, the seller should be held to the same standards that already exist here on the boards.

Edited by DeadOne

11 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

This is a great point and falls right in line with my way of thinking.

With every sale in the VCC being done though PM, it makes it nearly impossible to double sell a book that sells on another venue.
The seller would simply have to check their PM and before confirming the sale, check the other venue to see if it is still available. If it is, remove it from that venue and then respond to the VCC PM and confirm the sale. 

It may require a bit more diligence for the seller, but that is, imo, not a bad thing. As a buyer, my hope is always that the seller I'm dealing with is on the ball.

**edit**
This also helps answer the question of impunity for sellers posed by @Callaway29
With all sales in the VCC being done via PM, there should be no reason for a seller to over-sell an item. They can check availability before responding.
If for some reason it does happen, the seller should be held to the same standards that already exist here on the boards.

Yup, makes sense and my concern is quelled.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

You would have to go back much further.  I did it a few times before listing comics and toys but then I changed my mind about it a couple of years ago for the reasons I mentioned above.

I made a list a while back of VCC participants from VCC XXVI through present.... I know, I'm lame.

You participated in VCC XXXIII, XXXI, XXVIII, XXVII, and XXVI (probably more if you go back further)... quite a few actually.

3 hours ago, telerites said:

And off-topic a bit, I wish all other board sales forums would be suspended while the VCC is active.  I have not sold in the VCC but think with respect and sole focus to be placed on the event would greatly benefit what is not the same as what it was when I joined over 10 years ago.  That possibly would entice more board sellers to list in the VCC and allow buyers to shop in just the VCC for that weekend.  

This has been asked several times over several years, even before I came along to help with the VCC, and the answer has always been an overwhelming NO.

During the past few VCCs, I've looked at active sales threads and although there are a few sales threads created during the weekend of the VCC, there have always been more sellers set-up during the VCC than the total those selling in the regular Marketplace sections.. 

I think it needs to be run by Arch before any changes are made. He has allowed non comic stuff to be sold here so he very well may say yes, however, I think a BETTER idea would be to ask to just suspend sales in the other forum, otherwise it's just not going to get the traffic you need, seller or buyer wise.

I said no, because I think it would a PITA   if there is a problem and I just don't see the big deal. There are no fees here, if you want to sell something on eBay and pay the fees, great, you are probably smarter doing that, but the VCC should be a fun venue, not a "can I make the most possible venue"....otherwise there really is no point to participate, the regular forum is busy.

If my friends get together and invite me for a barbecue, I don't start weighing whether I could get better food somewhere else, I just go for the fun. Usually I COULD get better food somewhere else, lol;) 

I would not take something down from eBay, I'd just list stuff I don't have on eBay here.

Edited by skypinkblu

12 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

.otherwise there really is no point to participate

this. If we allow items posted elsewhere why even have the VCC?

12 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I would not take something down from eBay, I'd just list stuff I don't have on eBay here.

And this as well. Who out there has everything posted already? I ahve too much that I would sell as it is, so I just pick stuff not yet listed elsewhere to sell at the VCC. Although I will likely be listing slabs now onebay and Facebook this VCC but taking them down from there first of course. And dropping prices 'cause boardies are always looking for a deal!

16 minutes ago, Bird said:
30 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

.otherwise there really is no point to participate

this. If we allow items posted elsewhere why even have the VCC?

How about to offer those same items at a lower rate to take into account that you pay no fees here? The seller increases their comics exposure by selling on ebay and here, and the buyer here gets a chance to get the book cheaper here as no ebay fees are involved.  So VCC buyers benefit from buying at a reduced cost here over ebay, and the seller gets more or less what they would have had it sold with fees on ebay

36 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

How about to offer those same items at a lower rate to take into account that you pay no fees here? The seller increases their comics exposure by selling on ebay and here, and the buyer here gets a chance to get the book cheaper here as no ebay fees are involved.  So VCC buyers benefit from buying at a reduced cost here over ebay, and the seller gets more or less what they would have had it sold with fees on ebay

When I saw this poll, that is exactly what I had in mind. I have a lot of Silver/Bronze books that I was going to list here in a sales thread, but I would certainly put them in the VCC if I wouldn't have to remove everything from eBay first.

37 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Dirty truth.  I get more money for many items on eBay even though I am inflating the prices to astronomical levels compared to what I ask for them here.  In fact go through my more recent sales threads and I have a full disclaimer that says if it does not sell here then I will list it elsewhere for much more. 

Batman 52 comes to mind.  I listed that in a sales thread with other things awhile back.  I listed a 2.5 Copy with slightly brittle pages for around $950. I had a few offers but nowhere close to my ask.  I had it listed on CLink as well as eBay at the same time and the highest offer I had was $585 I believe.  I listed it on eBay for $1200 and it sold there last month.  Even with fees that is $1080 for that book.

I did the same with one of my ASM 31 undercopies. 

So the fees?  That doesn't bother me at all. I just raise the prices to compensate so I get what I want out of a book.  The danger is giving me a compelling reason to do that.  Because you know what just happened? I just raised the GPA value of that book.  Another boardie actually sent me a text message to thank me for that sale as it further justified his own increased price. 

If anything VCC buyers are definitely not benefitting because if I have more leeway in selling a book elsewhere I will.  I will just raise the price. That will just make it MORE expensive for the next person that wants to buy a copy because everyone else is going to point to my sold copy as the new benchmark.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Dirty truth.  I get more money for many items on eBay even though I am inflating the prices to astronomical levels compared to what I ask for them here.  In fact go through my more recent sales threads and I have a full disclaimer that says if it does not sell here then I will list it elsewhere for much more. 

Batman 52 comes to mind.  I listed that in a sales thread with other things awhile back.  I listed a 2.5 Copy with slightly brittle pages for around $950. I had a few offers but nowhere close to my ask.  I had it listed on CLink as well as eBay at the same time and the highest offer I had was $585 I believe.  I listed it on eBay for $1200 and it sold there last month.  Even with fees that is $1080 for that book.

So the fees?  That doesn't bother me at all. I just raise the prices to compensate so I get what I want out of a book.  The danger is giving me a compelling reason to do that.  Because you know what just happened? I just raised the GPA value of that book.  Another boardie actually sent me a text message to thank me for that sale as it further justified his own increased price. 

If anything VCC buyers are definitely not benefitting because if I have more leeway in selling a book elsewhere I will.  I will just raise the price. That will just make it MORE expensive for the next person that wants to buy a copy because everyone else is going to point to my sold copy as the new benchmark.

I see that,  yes. But many members here talk of the community aspect. Many sellers I think would prefer to sell to someone here than an eBay buyer. So to get the best of both worlds, put your book on ebay, and post it here at your ebay price less the fees. If a Boardie buys it, great, you've served the community, and haven't lined ebay's pockets. In practice,  you may sell on ebay more than here. But you're increasing your chances of a sale by listing on both while at the same time serving and supporting this community. 

If you want to price a book at a level which you would, for want of a better word, be embarrassed to post here,  stick to ebay. Nothing wrong with getting top dollar. But if you value community and building relationships here over all out profit, try what I said in the first paragraph above. Many sellers price their hooks here as being 'under gpa' etc. It's one of the reasons it's a success. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I also get better prices on other venues more often than not. But you know what, that is a reason to maintain the exclusivity rule as far as I am concerned. I enjoy selling here more than other places and when I need selling references I just say I sell on the cgc boards and people go "whoa" as they know tomfoolery is not tolerated here. And people here want a bargain. But I also want a bargain when I buy here so it all evens out in that respect. But eliminating the exclusivity rule turns this place into instagram and FB, where selling without fees is "stickin' it to the man" and keeping the fees, not having lower prices.

Ebay has the benefit of being the world's largest marketplace. Here has other benefits. Both has value.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

I see that,  yes. But many members here talk of the community aspect. Many sellers I think would prefer to sell to someone here than an eBay buyer. So to get the best of both worlds, put your book on ebay, and post it here at your ebay price less the fees. If a Boardie buys it, great, you've served the community, and haven't lined ebay's pockets. In practice,  you may sell on ebay more than here. But you're increasing your chances of a sale by listing on both while at the same time serving and supporting this community. 

If you want to price a book at a level which you would, for want of a better word, be embarrassed to post here,  stick to ebay. Nothing wrong with getting top dollar. But if you value community and building relationships here over all out profit, try what I said in the first paragraph above. Many sellers price their hooks here as being 'under gpa' etc. It's one of the reasons it's a success. 

If I could have listed the book on eBay for $1200 and the book here for $1050 I would have. The board rules tell me that I cannot.  I shrug.  Therefore I will list it at the venue that offers the most exposure.

Anyone that follows the drivel that comes out of my mouth knows that prior to the last couple of weeks I have never made mention of my dislike for this rule. At the end of the day this is not my sandbox so I will happily abide by the board rules.  However, that does not give me reason or an incentive to participate in certain things. 

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

I also get better prices on other venues more often than not. But you know what, that is a reason to maintain the exclusivity rule as far as I am concerned. I enjoy selling here more than other places and when I need selling references I just say I sell on the cgc boards and people go "whoa" as they know tomfoolery is not tolerated here. And people here want a bargain. But I also want a bargain when I buy here so it all evens out in that respect. But eliminating the exclusivity rule turns this place into instagram and FB, where selling without fees is "stickin' it to the man" and keeping the fees, not having lower prices.

Ebay has the benefit of being the world's largest marketplace. Here has other benefits. Both has value.

So don't 'keep the fees'. Make the unique selling point here that the book is cheaper than its ebay listing counterpart