• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL QUESTION ADDED - Opinions on suspending the "exclusivity" rule during the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)
4 4

Suspend selling guideline rule #4 (the "exclusive board-only offer") for the VCC (Virtual Comic Convention)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. This proposal would allow sellers to offer items for sale during the weekends of the VCC that are also for sale on other venues (ex. ebay, facebook, and other websites) without having to worry about it being an exclusive board-only offer.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Whether you voted yes or no, would you be willing to accept a trial run for the rule suspension for the 2 remaining VCCs in 2019?

• Yes
    • No

115 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

It's harder to do rows unless you do ones that are not clickable, but doing thumbnails is a snap, just upload the picture and double click, it gives  you an option right on the page to make it smaller.

You can do rows of the thumbnails that way, but sometimes  they move around when you add more so you need to go back and fix them. At least I have found that, maybe someone else knows an easier path.

I don't think there is an easier way, no. This post might draw it out if there is :wishluck:

When I'm constructing my God damn awful wonderful pence threads, this is how I do it:

Step 1

Lets say I want to add four Atomic Mouse covers (why wouldn't you?) that I have on my PC. I click 'choose files', select the four I want, then click 'open':

1.thumb.PNG.11bef09304d18779c125fd03cbf1399e.PNG

Step 2

The four covers now show as 'uploaded images' at the foot of the post I want to add them to:

2.thumb.PNG.2d36a7850075040c32fe9f2df57a3e3e.PNG

Step 3

I click on the plus symbol of the first image (which says 'insert into post' if you hover over it) and it is added to the post. It's massive at that point (you could just press 'submit reply' by the way once the images are showing as uploaded, and all four images would be posted - no need to click on all four plus symbols - but they wont be separated, and will appear as one block which you'll have to edit subsequently):

3.thumb.PNG.26b3d7d4ff24ea206cc3eff52978b29f.PNG

Step 4

As Sharon said, double click the image as it sits in the post and you will bring up the 'Image Update' page below which allows you to amend the size / ratio / alignment. Mine always start out at a width of 800 and I have to reduce the size manually to, for example, 100 to make the image the size of a thumbnail (quick tip, for those who appreciate uniformity, it's the height that has to be the same for multiple images to appear the same size in a post. But you can only adjust the width to bring the size up or down - hence lots of manual adjusting to get them right!)

4.thumb.PNG.61f2ac2509223cfde0fbcbe71354168e.PNG

Step 5

Below you can see the width set manually by me at 100, and see the height drops to 140. So you want all the three remaining pictures to have a 140 height, if you value uniformity:

5.thumb.PNG.704a6c6c9238e805ec4fbc0db3045266.PNG

Step 6

Click on 'update' and the amended image now shows much smaller in the post:

6.thumb.PNG.bfbf4e723652424439e66df3af9315fc.PNG

Now, to the real point of this post. I think there are two things that would be a massive help to those of us that post multiple images, if they were technically possible. These are they:

1. Amend the 'Image Update' screen so that you can adjust both width and height, not just width
  2. Build in a function button that, when pressed, auto changes the height to a standard thumbnail size (we can agree what that would be)

@dena

Is this possible? In respect of suggestion #1, I've never understood why you can only amend the width when your image is set as 'Keep original aspect ratio', which it will always be set to for a comic? Suggestion #2 may be a long shot, but it would save so much time as users would not have to manually size each image - it would be double click, then select the 'thumbnail' button (or even have 'insert as thumbnail' as an up front option, removing the need for the double click). 

I know the CGC site software is generic, but as we are all comic collectors it would be great if this aspect of photo uploading could be enhanced. You could actually have multiple buttons - full size, mid size, thumbnail etc. 

Whaddyathink?

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Low ceilings

I never got the hang of photobucket and got in the habit of using twitter as my image hosting service. I tweet the photos, then copy and paste them here. I have to do one at a time but it seems easy enough for me.

I did have problems with the cut and paste function from my test threads to my VCC sales threads as the images would revert to normal size but I determined that it was only happening in Chrome and not Firefox (which I hate as it crashed all the time) so now I cut and paste images from Firefox if necessary.

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

I never got the hang of photobucket and got in the habit of using twitter as my image hosting service. I tweet the photos, then copy and paste them here. I have to do one at a time but it seems easy enough for me.

I did have problems with the cut and paste function from my test threads to my VCC sales threads as the images would revert to normal size but I determined that it was only happening in Chrome and not Firefox (which I hate as it crashed all the time) so now I cut and paste images from Firefox if necessary.

I try to avoid cut and paste if I can, as the images for some reason become temperamental. Not sure why, but they often change size and sometimes disappear completely at a later date. Probably something to do with not being 'uploaded' to the CGC site in the first instance but I'm guessing there. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I try to avoid cut and paste if I can, as the images for some reason become temperamental. Not sure why, but they often change size and sometimes disappear completely at a later date. Probably something to do with not being 'uploaded' to the CGC site in the first instance but I'm guessing there. 

I don't enjoy posting from my phone with the small screen and my less-than-nimble fingers so it is quickest for me.

Thanks for putting pictures to my ramblings @Get Marwood & I

I've also noticed the pictures jump around, but I don't have a problem with the thumbnail sizes. Mine always are 800 or 797, something close, but the ratios are fine.

I have a problem remembering to hit enter enough so my text isn't split in the middle. That happened in one of my sales threads and someone thought a book was $16 instead of $165, almost caused an issue but the people were all adults thank goodness.

When using the boards image upload, there is a way, when copy/pasting, to have the images not revert to original size after making them thumbnail, but it is not available to every member (mods./semi-mods only).

For those people, there is a button on the post editor called source which converts text and images into HTML code. When you copy and paste that code, everything stays the same.
It stinks that it is not available to all members. 

For reference, here is a screenshot of what my post editor looks like.

Capture.JPG

Just in case anyone wishes to learn more about the boards image upload capabilities (also the boards Gallery feature) below is a link that will take you to a "How To" of sorts that is very VCC specific.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Damn... trying to figure out how to go about that... that's a ridiculous hassle.  Time for a new rule ! :D 

:cry:

I think I actually had a conversation with Arch about the "source" thing back when the boards switched over. I cannot find the thread at the moment why they chose not to make it available to all. Maybe @Architecht could remind me if he stops by before I find that thread.

For the purposes of the VCC, it really does make copy/pasting from the test area to a VCC booth seamless.

7 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

:cry:

I think I actually had a conversation with Arch about the "source" thing back when the boards switched over. I cannot find the thread at the moment why they chose not to make it available to all. Maybe @Architecht could remind me if he stops by before I find that thread.

For the purposes of the VCC, it really does make copy/pasting from the test area to a VCC booth seamless.

lol

I have what might be a work around for the image resizing issue.

To stop images from resizing (from thumbnail to original) when you copy and paste follow these steps:

1. From the post you wish to copy and paste, click edit
  2. From the edit box, copy the text/images you wish to paste elsewhere
  3. Paste in the new post and, voila, the images should stay in the thumbnail size.

It has worked for me, I'm curious to see if others have similar results @Buzzetta @skypinkblu @Bird @fmaz etc.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:46 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Now, to the real point of this post. I think there are two things that would be a massive help to those of us that post multiple images, if they were technically possible. These are they:

1. Amend the 'Image Update' screen so that you can adjust both width and height, not just width
  2. Build in a function button that, when pressed, auto changes the height to a standard thumbnail size (we can agree what that would be)

@dena

Is this possible? In respect of suggestion #1, I've never understood why you can only amend the width when your image is set as 'Keep original aspect ratio', which it will always be set to for a comic? Suggestion #2 may be a long shot, but it would save so much time as users would not have to manually size each image - it would be double click, then select the 'thumbnail' button (or even have 'insert as thumbnail' as an up front option, removing the need for the double click). 

I know the CGC site software is generic, but as we are all comic collectors it would be great if this aspect of photo uploading could be enhanced. You could actually have multiple buttons - full size, mid size, thumbnail etc. 

Whaddyathink?

@dena

2142534046_DrWhoLonely.gif.46a1a9474feb502c7854f2b23321f26f.gif

Just a reminder for those following this thread (and others) that the VCC is coming up August 9, 10, and 11

For those who missed what this thread was originally about....

:news:

The "exclusive board only offer" rule IS suspended for the time of the VCC and only within the confines of the VCC.

This is a trial run that is specific to the Virtual Comic Convention and does not apply to other "for sale" sections of the forum.

Please be diligent when listing items available from multiple venues. Board rules regarding the follow through of a sale will still apply to all VCC transactions.

Any newcomers (or old timers who need a refresher) are welcome to view the Rules, Tips, FAQs area linked below. I've updated the rules and added a few tricks to help people with the copy/paste image resizing thing that people have been struggling with. It's worth a view.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/444202-the-virtual-comic-convention-vcc-rules-tips-faqs/