• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[SOLD] - "He patiently informed me that 'people didn’t like spiders'.." "Hey, I'll bet this is where Steve Ditko comes in" - AF 15 CGC 3.5
3 3

21 posts in this topic

Excerpt from “Origins of Marvel..”. There are 4 categories he gets into, with some great nuggets - the inspiration (excerpt below), the pitch, the artist(s), the villains. I could post them here or AF 15 Club, will decide if I hear interest.

Stan Lee’s story of..

“What about the name? Why Spider-Man? Simple. In the long-dead, practically Paleolithic era when I had been on the verge of approaching teenagehood, one of my favorite pulp fiction magazine heroes was a stalwart named The Spider. He wore a slouch hat with a finger ring with the image of an arachnid—a ring which, when he punched a foe fearlessly in the face, would leave a mark, an impression of a spider. It was The Spider’s calling card, and it sent goose pimples up and down my ten-year-old spine. More than that, I can still remember how the magazine’s subtitle grabbed me. It was called The Spider—but after his name were the never-to-be-forgotten words: Master of Men. Just play with that a moment—roll it around on your tongue, savor the fateful, fascinating flavor—The Spider, Master of Men. My mind was made up, the stage was set, the cards had been dealt. I was no more than a puppet in the shadow show of destiny. Now, as far as I can remember, The Spider had no superhuman powers. It seems to me he was just a good guy who fought the bad guys. It was the name that grabbed me. But that was enough" - Stan

Edited by hapicamp

If ever the maxim 'buy the book not the grade' ever needed visual affirmation - then here it is.

A 3.5 that looks much much better with the main damage at the back.

I bought one very similar on the same premis.

A no-brainer surely a 3.5 that looks at least a 5.0 for this price.....

Amazed its not sold

I'm sure it will soon!

Excerpt again from "Origins of MARVEL COMICS by Stan Lee" 1974. Bump part two, Stan's pitch.

Stan Lee - " I can still remember discussing my sinister little scheme with Martin Goodman. I told him I'd try to do the whole strip in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Everybody knew Superman---so the time had come for a competitor to make the scene; and what fun it would be to call him Spider-Man. Martin's reaction was natural enough. In his own gentle way he implied that I had lost my marbles. He patiently informed me that people didn't like spiders, that it was an unlikely name for a hero, and that Spider-Man would merit somewhat less than the reading public's whole-hearted, enthusiastic approval. For my part I told him his logic was incontrovertible, but hear me out. Then I told him about The Spider. Verily, I bared my soul, mentioning how my childish heart would pound in breathless anticipation of each new issue. I zealously explained how I hoped that Spider-Man would be a trend-setter, a funky freaky feature in tune with the times. And then, I played my ace. I reminded M.G. that we'd be presenting Spider-Man in Amazing Fantasy's final issue--we were killing the magazine anyway---so what's the harm? Possibly hypnotized by my unassailable logic and no doubt mesmerized by my youthful charm, plus the fact that he was growing increasingly aware that he was late for a golf date, he made the decision. Spider-Man would live. Had I known then what all of comicdom assembled knows now, Id have recorded that magic moment for posterity."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by hapicamp

absolutely beautiful book looks amazing lol. One day maybe I can afford it. Best of luck with the sale.  

A bump, and a jump to the last paragraph in "Origins of MARVEL COMICS by Stan Lee" 1974.

"Therefore, let's not consider this a conclusion. Let's rather call it a beginning, the beginning of an ever-continuing journey into the realm of Marvel mythology---a realm where all, regardless of color, sex, or creed, are truly kindred souls, united by a common love of adventure, fantasy, and just plain fun. Perhaps, just perhaps, that's what Marvels really all about.

Excelsior!"

On 5/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Callaway29 said:

Healthy looking 3.5! Love it, and the interesting bumps.

Cheers and appreciate it Callaway29. I like to wonder What If Martin had no tee time.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:20 PM, SNiPER said:

That's a beauty! Don't get much better for the assigned grade. 

I would take this book over a 4.5 with marvel chipping anyday! GLWTS!

Thanks SNiPER and I'm with you.... really enjoy low mc and color break in this grade range with older books too. GLWYS.

Edited by hapicamp