• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesomest Comic you've ever seen..

34 posts in this topic

What is the awesomest comic book you've ever seen in person? Whether it's one you brought home, one you didn't, one, you could've, whatever..

I'm a newb so mine would have to be a Spider-Man #238 (With Tattooz) or an Iron Man #1 CGC 8.5 Restored. (Edit: I forgot that I saw a Captain America #3 PGX 8.5, later a CGC 6.5, a Batman #9, and A Spider-Man #129 CGC 9.0. All in the same shop.)

Edited by obiedagod

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

In person? The Detective Comics #27 2.5 that has floated from owner to owner over the past couple of years. Whatever auction house it's consigned to displayed it at major cons when it was up for sale.

How much was it selling for when you saw it?

37 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I can't remember if it was two or three AF15s I saw at SoCal comic shop years ago. The owner said he had five I think, and I tried to buy one but Jamie said he wasn't selling any of them. 

How on earth does one get 5 AF15s??

I held and flipped through the pages of a coverless Superman #1 once, but the awesomest comic I ever have seen was this 1930s japanese comic I saw at a convention in the late 80s. It had weird versions of Betty Boop, Felix the cat and Mickey Mouse in it all together and really weird stuff going on and the cover was amazing with an octopus thing on it and of course I didn't buy it and I have regretted it ever since. Ever since then I have tried searching for it, but never have seen another one, have no idea what it was called or anything.

2 hours ago, obiedagod said:

What is the awesomest comic book you've ever seen in person? Whether it's one you brought home, one you didn't, one, you could've, whatever..

I'm a newb so mine would have to be a Spider-Man #238 (With Tattooz) or an Iron Man #1 CGC 8.5 Restored.

Those are very awesome comics to behold, for sure!  Just so happens I have Iron Man at 8.5 (but Universal).  :headbang:

At C2E2 this year, I saw several Hulk 181, and a Captain America from 1941, I think, with Stan Lee's signature on the outside of the slab with a "certificate of verification."  They were asking a solid $10,000.  

Iron Man 001.jpg

51 minutes ago, lordisam said:

Those are very awesome comics to behold, for sure!  Just so happens I have Iron Man at 8.5 (but Universal).  :headbang:

At C2E2 this year, I saw several Hulk 181, and a Captain America from 1941, I think, with Stan Lee's signature on the outside of the slab with a "certificate of verification."  They were asking a solid $10,000.  

Iron Man 001.jpg

That's a nice book!

I recall seeing this one in person back in the 80s when it was first published.

Very large, very in-your-face impressive...

1103491.jpg

A quite awesome lack of subtlety.

The most important book I ever held in hand was a coverless Marvel Comics #1. A local dealer purchased a nice golden age collection of books of mostly Batman, Captain America, and Marvel Mystery. 

Edited by mysterymachine

For me it's less about the big keys and the most valuable books. Of course it would be awesome to see or hold a Tec or an Action etc, given their importance in the industry  / hobby. But I prefer the book that means something to you personally. Maybe it's the one you spent years trying to find a copy of, or the one that your research said couldn't exist. Or the one with the 'hidden surprise'.

I have one book in mind, but I haven't found it yet. When (if?) I do, I'll be back here to tell you.